This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

are you going to take the vaccine

DJFL77I

Scott Adams Grand Master

@Misslee Waving a book around in the video is a classic fallacy in an argument called "appeal to authority," and to say that I don't read is insulting, especially given the number of articles I've written or edited on this site, which now stands at over 5,300. No credible doctors are against vaccinations, especially given the ~1-4% death rate from covid-19, and safety record of the new vaccines.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott Adams

• RMJ

• Misslee

• Melissa93

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott Adams

Scott Adams 20 posts

• RMJ

RMJ 18 posts

• Misslee

Misslee 8 posts

• Melissa93

Melissa93 6 posts

Posted Images

notme Experienced

by the time they get to my 'group' (non-essential, low risk/healthy, mostly self-isolated) there may be several fda approved vaccines.  i am a bit nervous over the pfizer one because i do have weird allergies.  i am expecting to be probably in the last group to be vaccinated, so i hope i can choose the safest one for my situation.  i would think that everyone would choose the vaccine that is best for their health and safety.  

i have considered not taking it, but i'm hearing that you may need to have it to travel and go to music venues, two things i'd rather die than live without.  rock on, alllllllll, y'alllllllllllllll :) 

i am super sick of just hanging out with kevin the robot vacuum............  🙄

RMJ Mentor
24 minutes ago, notme! said:

by the time they get to my 'group' (non-essential, low risk/healthy, mostly self-isolated) there may be several fda approved vaccines.  i am a bit nervous over the pfizer one because i do have weird allergies.  i am expecting to be probably in the last group to be vaccinated, so i hope i can choose the safest one for my situation.  i would think that everyone would choose the vaccine that is best for their health and safety.  

i have considered not taking it, but i'm hearing that you may need to have it to travel and go to music venues, two things i'd rather die than live without.  rock on, alllllllll, y'alllllllllllllll :) 

i am super sick of just hanging out with kevin the robot vacuum............  🙄

In addition to choosing the vaccine you feel is safest, you might want to be sure that the facility where you receive it is able to treat allergic responses, and hang around for 15-30 minutes after the injection. Allergic reactions to vaccines typically happen pretty quickly.  I had a drive up flu shot this year and they made everyone stay for 15 minutes after the shot, just in case.

Posterboy Mentor

RMJ,

What about "Variants" of the Coronavirus now popping UP!

Could this Vaccination program become like "Flu" Vaccine IE would we  need "Annual" Coronavirus Vaccines???

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/london-lockdown-sharp-rise-in-coronavirus-cases-linked-to-new-covid-19-variant/ar-BB1bUZg3?fbclid=IwAR2_ZnYzjooznmm_H3pPVt1zxZUMb007SHD7S7tX8t2XIz5ly2K9-bO-vRg&ocid=uxbndlbing

I enjoy your insights and expertise It will help guide my decisions about which of the approved Vaccines might be best for me.

From what I have heard so far....I am favoring the Moderna over the Pfizer.....any insights would be appreciated ....

As Not me said....It will be awhile before they get to us!  But information is power!

Thanks in Advance!

Posterboy,

Posterboy Mentor

Misslee, Scott, RMJ, Knitty Kitty et al,

We should start another thread about this....."Genetics and Environment: Does Celiac disease have an Environmental Trigger???"

I am up for it.....if anybody else is?

It would help more people that way......and it wouldn't be hidden in another thread...

Here is the two or three best articles I know about the topic (off the top of my head)....

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2017/08/16/Genetic-risk-factors-for-disease-can-be-affected-by-environment/4251502820421/

https://www.genengnews.com/news/dna-has-relatively-little-say-in-disease-risk-usually/

Misslee in your youtube link Dr. Berg repeatedly mentioned Acetylcholine which has recently been discovered as the trigger for the "Inflammation state" the body assumes in a an Auto-immune disease....

The research is only a couple years old.....so it is not well understand yet....but Acetylcholine seems to be the triggering mechanism for the "Auto-immune" state or as they say the "Inflammatory" state....described in the article as M1 or M2....

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321624#From-inflammatory-to-anti-inflammatory

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advise.

Posterboy,

RMJ Mentor
1 hour ago, Posterboy said:

RMJ,

Could this Vaccination program become like "Flu" Vaccine IE would we  need "Annual" Coronavirus Vaccines???

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/london-lockdown-sharp-rise-in-coronavirus-cases-linked-to-new-covid-19-variant/ar-BB1bUZg3?fbclid=IwAR2_ZnYzjooznmm_H3pPVt1zxZUMb007SHD7S7tX8t2XIz5ly2K9-bO-vRg&ocid=uxbndlbing

I enjoy your insights and expertise It will help guide my decisions about which of the approved Vaccines might be best for me.

From what I have heard so far....I am favoring the Moderna over the Pfizer.....any insights would be appreciated ....

As Not me said....It will be awhile before they get to us!  But information is power!

Thanks in Advance!

Posterboy,

Might we need an annual COVID vaccine that varies each year like the flu vaccine? It all depends on what the COVID variants are.  The coronavirus spike protein was chosen by Pfizer, Moderna and others as the antigen in the vaccine because it is absolutely necessary in order for the virus to infect our cells.  If a random mutation led to much of a change in the spike protein it’s likely that it might not be able to infect cells as well (which would be good for us but not good for the virus).

Researchers are still trying to find a portion of the flu virus that does not vary from strain to strain so that a flu vaccine could be more universal.  They appear to be making some progress.

Posterboy Mentor

Misslee Et Al,

You should check out the Hormones Matter website.  It has the topic of Thiamine deficiency or Sub Clinical Beri Beri covered better than any site I have visited.

While I do not know any studies link Vaccines to Celiac disease...there are at least a couple studies linking Viruses to an associated Celiac diagnosis. Probably most famously Epstein Barr Virus aka EBV for short.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-04-epstein-barr-virus-linked-diseases.html

But less famously is Reoviruses just very recently...

https://www.gutmicrobiotaforhealth.com/virus-may-lead-celiac-disease-disruption-intestinal-immune-homeostasis/

But Vaccines  have been studied for the ability to cause a Thiamine deficiency....most famously Gardasil.

http://www.hormonesmatter.com/post-gardasil-heart-failure-ragged-red-fibers/

And it is not surprising that medical officials deny the association or that it could be a trigger....

Dr. Lonsdale is doing "Yeoman's work" on Thiamine deficiency.....and the main stream medical field....just won't acknowledge it!

Posterboy,

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master
17 hours ago, Posterboy said:

RMJ,

Thanks in Advance!

Posterboy,

I spoke to an infectious disease doctor friend of mine regarding whether variant forms of the virus would somehow not be targeted by the vaccine, and he assured me that they will because this new vaccine is an RNA type of vaccine, which is a new approach to vaccines. More on this is here:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/16/us/katalin-kariko-covid-19-vaccine-scientist-trnd/index.html

RMJ Mentor

The following quote about variants is from this week’s issue of Science magazine.  The main variant currently seen is not expected to affect current vaccine efficacy.

”Pandemic spread of a virus in naïve populations can select for mutations that alter pathogenesis, virulence, and/or transmissibility. The ancestral form of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARSCoV-2) that emerged from China has now been largely replaced by strains containing the mutation D614G (Asp614-to-Gly) in the viral spike protein. Hou et al.compared the characteristics of the new variant against the ancestral form in a series of experiments in human cells and animal models. The variant is better at infecting upper-airway epithelial cells and replicates in greater numbers than the ancestral virus. Evidence indicates modest, if any, significant changes to virulence in animal models. Therefore, the virus appears to have evolved for greater transmissibility in humans rather than for greater pathogenicity. The mutation renders the new virus variant more susceptible to neutralizing antisera without altering the efficacy of vaccine candidates currently under development.”

Misslee Apprentice
On 12/12/2020 at 2:02 AM, Scott Adams said:

Yes, for sure. By the time my family and I have access I would guess that 100M people would have already been given it. I'm ready to go back to normal, and travel, eat out, etc.

You are censoring me and I find this quite scary. 

My Dr has not helped me at all and sent me home with my symptoms. Do you really think I'd put all my trust in what Drs say?

Doctors also has said that cholesterol has been dangerous for the past 50 years and causes heart attacks. Ends up cholesterol is not the culprit. People have been taking statines with terrible side effects. All this for money. So what is your point?

Now science back up that cholesterol is not dangerous.. So is it science or big pharma that decides what Dr back ups or Not?

You are censoring people and it is not OK.

Misslee Apprentice
On 12/19/2020 at 6:22 PM, Posterboy said:

Misslee Et Al,

You should check out the Hormones Matter website.  It has the topic of Thiamine deficiency or Sub Clinical Beri Beri covered better than any site I have visited.

While I do not know any studies link Vaccines to Celiac disease...there are at least a couple studies linking Viruses to an associated Celiac diagnosis. Probably most famously Epstein Barr Virus aka EBV for short.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-04-epstein-barr-virus-linked-diseases.html

But less famously is Reoviruses just very recently...

https://www.gutmicrobiotaforhealth.com/virus-may-lead-celiac-disease-disruption-intestinal-immune-homeostasis/

But Vaccines  have been studied for the ability to cause a Thiamine deficiency....most famously Gardasil.

http://www.hormonesmatter.com/post-gardasil-heart-failure-ragged-red-fibers/

And it is not surprising that medical officials deny the association or that it could be a trigger....

Dr. Lonsdale is doing "Yeoman's work" on Thiamine deficiency.....and the main stream medical field....just won't acknowledge it!

Posterboy,

I've been really busy but I've bookmarked your page and will make sure to read your posts more carefully. thanks a lot for all you share 🙏.

RMJ Mentor
On 12/19/2020 at 12:22 PM, RMJ said:

The following quote about variants is from this week’s issue of Science magazine.  The main variant currently seen is not expected to affect current vaccine efficacy.

”Pandemic spread of a virus in naïve populations can select for mutations that alter pathogenesis, virulence, and/or transmissibility. The ancestral form of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARSCoV-2) that emerged from China has now been largely replaced by strains containing the mutation D614G (Asp614-to-Gly) in the viral spike protein. Hou et al.compared the characteristics of the new variant against the ancestral form in a series of experiments in human cells and animal models. The variant is better at infecting upper-airway epithelial cells and replicates in greater numbers than the ancestral virus. Evidence indicates modest, if any, significant changes to virulence in animal models. Therefore, the virus appears to have evolved for greater transmissibility in humans rather than for greater pathogenicity. The mutation renders the new virus variant more susceptible to neutralizing antisera without altering the efficacy of vaccine candidates currently under development.”

It looks like the D614G mutation described in this quote is NOT the only mutation currently being seen in the UK.  The UK variant being discussed this week is called  VUI 202012/01 and contains the D614G mutation and others.

Scott Adams Grand Master

I just saw an article today that indicated that both Moderna and Pfizer are now testing their new vaccines against this new strain.

RMJ Mentor
2 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

I just saw an article today that indicated that both Moderna and Pfizer are now testing their new vaccines against this new strain.

Yes, they will take serum from people who have been vaccinated and see if it will neutralize the virus in the lab.  BioNTech (Pfizer) said they’d have results in two weeks.

Beverage Rising Star

With a history of anaphylaxis, nope. 

RMJ Mentor
2 hours ago, Beverage said:

With a history of anaphylaxis, nope. 

Very reasonable, at least for the Pfizer and Moderna products.  Scientists think the antigen causing problems may be the PEG attached to the lipids used to make the nanoparticles, but that is a hypothesis - there is no data yet. Hopefully some of the other vaccines that are based on different technology will be useful for those with allergies.

• 1 month later...
Jim Rockford Rookie
On 12/17/2020 at 2:09 PM, Misslee said:

Never, since its a vaccine that made me have coeliac in the first place.

Watch Dr bergs on youtube about autoimmune disease. I had no idea but it makes sense I had a vaccine 6 months prior getting celiac. 

I had vaccines when I was a kid and I was fine but I wont gamble with my health. 

Dr. Berg is a chiropractor and a salesman.

AlwaysLearning Collaborator

YES! I would take it even if it contained gluten. I would rather have a couple weeks dealing with a gluten reaction than the possibility of long-term lung/heart damage or death from covid. This is a no brainer.

Neytiri Explorer
On 12/11/2020 at 11:25 PM, DJFL77I said:

for covid19

Personally, I won't do it. It's useless since this virus keeps modify itself unlike the virus that causes polio, for example. Media and doctors in general are just giving wrong pieces of info about this issue and I don't understand why. All this situation is just creepy.

Moreover, I discovered that Pfizer was fined a lot of times and it was also at the center of a severe scandal concerning the children of an African region. Here are the articles I found :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdullahi_v._Pfizer,_Inc.

https://violationtracker.goodjobsfirst.org/parent/pfizer

Scott Adams Grand Master

Hello @Neytiri, it sounds like you're slipping down the conspiracy theory hole with regard to the vaccines, which could be risky to you and others. The more people who take the vaccine, the more likely everyone won't need to worry about getting covid-19 in the future. Polio also mutates, and it was very close to being totally eliminated in the 1970's and 1980's (the USA has been polio-free since 1979, due entirely to vaccinations). Due to a few dangerous and anti-scientific areas in Afghanistan and Pakistan at that time, we failed to completely eliminate polio like we did with small pox.

Any company the size of Pfizer is going to have some scandals and lawsuits, but this has nothing to do with how effective (and safe) their covid vaccine has proven to be. If you are concerned about Pfizer, just get the Moderna version. Currently both versions are highly effective against all strains of covid.

Melissa93 Contributor

Getting mine tomorrow! I'm 28 y/o but I have asthma, so I'm able to get the Pfizer shot because of being more high risk. Very excited about it as I got covid in March last year and it was absolutely horrific. I almost died and had to recover for 10 months, still going to physical therapy every week to get back to my usual self. 

Scott Adams Grand Master

Wow...it's definitely scary to hear that someone 28 could be hit this hard (given that I'm quite a bit older than you!).

Protecting yourself is just 50% of the equation, not getting it and spreading it to others is the other 50%. I wonder how people would feel if they got it and had not symptoms, and spread it to someone older, or someone with a health issue like diabetes (I just saw a study that indicates that 20% of those with diabetes die within 28 days of getting covid-19).

The only way this vaccination program will be effective is if people start considering others as much as they do themselves.

Beverage Rising Star
3 hours ago, Melissa93 said:

Getting mine tomorrow! I'm 28 y/o but I have asthma, so I'm able to get the Pfizer shot because of being more high risk. Very excited about it as I got covid in March last year and it was absolutely horrific. I almost died and had to recover for 10 months, still going to physical therapy every week to get back to my usual self. 

I'm glad you are able to get it. I'm curious...I have thalassemia, one of the super high risks for a bad outcome with covid, and asthma...where are you located that you are able to get the shot ?  In my state you have to be 65 or older, I'm 64 and even with these risks cannot get it.

Melissa93 Contributor
1 hour ago, Scott Adams said:

Wow...it's definitely scary to hear that someone 28 could be hit this hard (given that I'm quite a bit older than you!).

Protecting yourself is just 50% of the equation, not getting it and spreading it to others is the other 50%. I wonder how people would feel if they got it and had not symptoms, and spread it to someone older, or someone with a health issue like diabetes (I just saw a study that indicates that 20% of those with diabetes die within 28 days of getting covid-19).

The only way this vaccination program will be effective is if people start considering others as much as they do themselves.

Yes it was very scary, but unfortunately everyone can be unlucky 🤷🏼‍♀️. In my celiac panel they saw that I’m low in IGA, so that might be the cause of my cytokine storm that was triggered by covid. 

Anyway, yes thats for sure. It goes both ways and having been this sick while still being young makes you realize there are no guarantees to good health whatever you try and do yourself (even tho it helps!). My parents got infected too and they were okay btw, while my dad has COPD. He definitely struggled more than my mom, and had to recover for a month or two but it wasn’t crazy. So you never know how it works out! I’m super glad to be able to get it! 

Melissa93 Contributor
25 minutes ago, Beverage said:

I'm glad you are able to get it. I'm curious...I have thalassemia, one of the super high risks for a bad outcome with covid, and asthma...where are you located that you are able to get the shot ?  In my state you have to be 65 or older, I'm 64 and even with these risks cannot get it.

I’m sorry to hear, that sucks that you’re not eligible yet. I live in NY (nyc), so here they opened up now to: 65+, essential workers, taxi drivers, personal care employees, PT’s, restaurant workers, high risk people with all kinds of diseases (will be expended in March I think). Quite a big group already actually.