This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ignorant Server Of The Day

floridanative

RKB-MD Rookie

My list of misadventures with wait-staff could fill 7 more pages. The rude ones and ignorant ones just don’t get a tip, the ones who do not pay attention, especially the ones who “find out” about the sauce, then “mistakenly” the dish appears with the sauce based on a rue, get the manager called on them the next day in between bathroom trips.

My story is slightly different. I was leaving a university position, and it was traditional to have a going-away afternoon party for each person who left (yes, it was a revolving door). The traditional departing party was pizza, carrot-flat-cake, mints (where the second ingredient was wheat starch), and mixed nuts. The following exchange actually occurred:

Me: Is there a way we could get something different for my party?

Secretary: No.

Me: But I’m allergic to almost everything at the party.

Secretary: But you can eat the nuts, right?

Me: Right, but nothing else. Is there a way we could order something else?

Secretary: Well, the party isn’t really for you…

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nini

"well the party isn't really for you"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I about fell out of my chair when I read that! Well, who's it for then??? Why bother?

I had a really great experience at Outback recently, we had company in from out of town, and went out to celebrate, my daughter and I were the only ones eating gluten-free, but the waitress was so careful about everything, even placing the bread and the bloomin onion on the opposite side of the table well away from me and my daughter and bringing out our food well before everyone elses was ready because we weren't eating any appetizers or salad. (I don't eat shellfish and the only gluten-free appetizer is shrimp)... Anyway, she was really sweet and I didn't get sick either. She got a great tip.

We've also had really good experiences with Cold Stone Creamery, they are AWESOME about cleaning off a section of stone, getting clean scoops, getting new containers from the back and putting our ice cream in our Cerrone cones that we bring with. I love it when they have to sing when you drop a tip in their jar!

kari Apprentice
Here is one from me... not a restaurant experience, but a response from Mott's where I was inquiring about whether their product Clamato (main ingredient in a Canadian-based alcoholic drink called a Caesar) contained gluten. I posted an inquiry on their online form, so I don't have exactly what I wrote. Generally I keep things very brief and just say "does X product contain gluten". Here is their response (emphasis mine) :lol:

-----------------------------------------------

Dear Ms. Eccles,

Thank you for contacting us about the presence of gluten in our Mott's products. Consumer inquiries such as this are appreciated because they provide valuable feedback about our brands.

Gluten is a mixture of complex proteins found in the grain of wheat, barley, oats, rye, rice, corn, and other grains. All of our Mott's sauce and juice products are gluten free EXCEPT Mr. And Mrs. T Pina Colada and CLAMATO.

We appreciate your inquiry and hope you will continue to enjoy our brands. For more information about our company, please visit us on the web at www.motts.com.

Sincerely,

Consumer Relations

-------------------------------------------------------

Ridiculous!

actually, it isn't rediculous. i wanted to respond about the same error in the earlier comment about the server saying rice has gluten, and the comment about the potato chips...

potatoes, rice, and corn DO have gluten. just like motts said, gluten is a mixture of proteins, etc. etc. there are CERTAIN forms of gluten which are similar to each other in their chemical makeup (wheat, barley, rye), which are like poision to a celiac, and thus that tends to be the accepted definition as in when someone says something is "gluten-free" it is assuming that it is in the context of being celiac, and what they mean is that it doesn't have the particular forms of gluten which are harmful to a celiac. but if you want to get all technical and scientific about it, rice, corn, and potatoes DO have gluten in them; it is just a different form of gluten than that which is found in wheat, barley, and rye.

but it is understood that not everyone knows that, so i wouldn't think of calling the people who wrote those comments "stupid", in the same way as I, being a fairly intelligent person who also works a job waiting tables, would not expect to be called "stupid". just a friendly reminder that none of us knows everything, so cut some slack for your servers who are doing their best to run around in circles accomodating several customers at one time while still trying to accomodate your specific needs, like celiac disease, which they may or may not have heard about before. I've waited tables for years and had never heard a word about it until i was diagnosed with it.

Katja Rookie
I'll add an awesome server one while I'm at it.

Sushi place down the road from me, went once two months ago. I bring my own soy sauce packets with me. Show them the Japanese Triumph dining card, she loves it, discusses options, I order a Philly roll minus a couple things, and she takes the card with her to double-check before ordering it. At the same time the person I'm with orders a crazy appetizer which is monkfish sauted in butter and soy sauce served on a Hot Stone. Looks amazing, but of course I can't have it. She comes back, lets me know the Philly Roll is fine AND THEN!! offers to make the MonkFish appetizer for me if I can give them an extra packet of the soy sauce AND says "we'll use a clean pan for it too" I was floored. The food was amazing, and I actually ordered the monkfish again the same night cause it was so good.

It gets better.

I go back last week (its been two months, this is my second time here) and bust out my dining card. The waitress says "oh yes we remember you, did you bring your soy sauce with you?" It was a completely different server! I wasn't even with the same person! I may never eat sushi anywhere else in LA.

Elonwy

Hey Elonwy,

I used to live in LA and still go there often - can you tell me the name of that Sushi Place? Would love to check it out!

Thank you!

Katja

elonwy Enthusiast

I can't ever remember what its called, but I can tell you exactly where it is. On the corner of Franklin and Highland is a little shopping center, and its the second door over from highland. Its really nice, and once you're inside you forget you're in a mini-mall.

The dining cards help alot, as much of the staff doesn't speak great english. They do well with ordering, but the Japanese translations on the card make all the difference in the world.

Elonwy

RKB-MD Rookie

kari - I hear what you are saying, especially as a server. Would you prefer that I ask if something contains giladin? Most gluten sensitive folk do not know that that is the sub-protein that they are allergic to. Basically my point is, if a server will not or cannot go to the chef or sous-chef and ask if a rue can be held, or if any contents of the dish that I am ordering contains wheat, etc., they SHOULD FIND OTHER WORK!

If someone comes to me and says that they are allergic to "X", and I give them something that has "X" or related to "X" I am medically and legally culpable for their reaction. It should be no different for food than it is for medicine given the reality of the reaction that we with CS suffer.

Sorry to sound so stringent, but I am held to specific parameters given what I do in medicine, and I expect that other people in their respective fields, should be held to the same responsibilities.

kari Apprentice
kari - I hear what you are saying, especially as a server. Would you prefer that I ask if something contains giladin? Most gluten sensitive folk do not know that that is the sub-protein that they are allergic to. Basically my point is, if a server will not or cannot go to the chef or sous-chef and ask if a rue can be held, or if any contents of the dish that I am ordering contains wheat, etc., they SHOULD FIND OTHER WORK!

If someone comes to me and says that they are allergic to "X", and I give them something that has "X" or related to "X" I am medically and legally culpable for their reaction. It should be no different for food than it is for medicine given the reality of the reaction that we with CS suffer.

Sorry to sound so stringent, but I am held to specific parameters given what I do in medicine, and I expect that other people in their respective fields, should be held to the same responsibilities.

i agree with you. completely. and as a server, i always answer the questions asked to me to the best of my ability or ask someone who will know the answer. i think it is worth mentioning, also, that many restaurants do not have a chef or sous chef, and that in several restaurants that i have worked in, the guy in charge in the kitchen didn't even speak english. they take the food from the freezer that comes from whatever corporate headquarters and toss it into a fryalator to the best of their ability with the limited english that they have learned through seeing the menu items printed repeatedly on the kitchen slips and remembering what food the word matches up with, all for minimum wage. that is not always the case, but it does happen. the restaurant i work in now is divided into two parts; pub and fine dining dining-room, (i work both) and so they have well trained chefs and sous chefs who went to school to study cooking and consider this their career. however, that is not always the case.

regardless, i was mainly referring to the post I quoted which was about the response from Mott's to the question "does ______ contain gluten", without any specification to celiac disease or otherwise. when motts replied that yes, corn, rice, etc, etc. DOES contain gluten, they were correct, they were answering the question as it was asked, yet the person posting it thought it was rediculous, when in fact, mott's had answered the question honestly and correctly. give them a break.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 weeks later...
colleenmc Newbie

My favorite story (there have been many) was the third time the steak I'd ordered came out on a piece of bread. The first time the waiter said it had just been a mistake, they'd understood my order but had made this so many times it was hard to skip the bread. The second time, same thing. The third time the manager came over and said "oh, but this is French bread." At this point I wasn't going to be comfortable eating anything there, but they'd comped us 2 bottles of wine. So all in all I guess I can't complain.

Jestgar Rising Star

Foreign gluten (french) is OK?

GFBetsy Rookie
My fav story was when I contacted an asian restaraunt and when I asked if a particular item had wheat there was a short pause with a cute asian woman that spoke little english replies "no, no wheat. Cash only. " :lol:

Sorry, sure this thread has gone far past this comment, but it made me laugh so hard when I read it that I just had to quote it again :lol::lol::lol::lol:

GFBetsy Rookie
You know it truly is amazing what people do NOT know about food. I think I have an advantage, having "hippie" parents that did not allow processed foods and being a T1 diabetic for nearly my whole life.

Anyway, my roomate offered me an ice cream sandwich the other day. I informed him that I can't eat that and he looks at me and says:

"but you eat chips!" <_<

I informed him that those are from a potato. Well I must have said it rudely because he looks at me and says "how am I suppoesd to know what wheat is?" Um....I dropped it.

Later on in the night he offered me pita bread. :rolleyes:

Oh, my gosh! I'm rolling!

munchkinette Collaborator

I went to the Ghirardelli Square chocolate festival this weekend. I went with about 8 friends, and one of them is also gluten intolerant. (she's WAY more sensitive- she can tell within 2 minutes if she ate gluten)

At one of the sample tables I picked up a packaged square and started reading ingredients. The lady asked what I was looking for, and listed off a bunch of stuff that the chocolate didn't have. I said I was looking for malt flavoring. She couldn't believe it. She said she'd heard of EVERY allergy before, but nothing as weird as that. Huh? Nobody had that problem? She also had no idea if the chocolate had malt flavoring. Uh... lots of chocolate has that.

Between my Thompson list and my sensitive friend, I didn't get glutened all day.

debbiewil Rookie

Ok, some good stories for balance.

A friend of mine was working as a waitress a couple of nights a week. A gentleman came in who didn't speak really good English. He did explain that for religious reasons he couldn't have any pork. She suggested the prime rib special. He asked her to make sure it wasn't pork. She said it wasn't, but since he was so concerned, she would check with the chef. She went into the kitchen and asked. The other staff in the kitchen started laughing at her for asking. She said that it was important to the customer, so it was important to her to double check, even though she knew it wasn't. The manager backed her up, and told all the wait staff to always ask when a customer had concerns about the food!

Was at a fair this summer. Had brought some food, but was there longer than planned and started getting hungry. One booth was serving meat on a roll. I could see the meat being cooked and they only seasoned with salt and pepper. When it was done, they carved it up at the cooking area, then brought it over to another table where a couple of people were making sandwiches. Well, I was hungry and figured it couldn't hurt to ASK, so I went up and said I had an allergy (easiest) and asked if I could get meat without the bun. The girl taking the orders said sure, and turned around to one of the others and said one order with no bun. Well, the guy at the table looked up and said "No bun?" and I figure I'm going to have to

explain everything, but the girl said "yes, it can't even go NEAR the bun!" While I'm standing there open mouthed, the guy goes "OK" takes off his gloves (I hadn't said a word about them yet!), puts on clean gloves, got a new piece of foil from the box, not one that was sitting out on the table by the buns, walked over to the cooking area and got some meat fresh sliced off the roast!

And it was absolutely delicious! So there are some people who do "get it". I hadn't said a word about cross contmination or anything, but both of them were obviously aware of the issues.

Debbie

hineini Enthusiast

My latest ignorant server comment:

Me: Is there any wheat or wheat products in it?

Server: No, it just has flour in it.

mrsnj91 Explorer

I went this weekend to a local convience store in my area and asked for a bunless hotdog for my DD. The girl behind the counter just looked at me like I was crazy. I explained she had an allergy and couldn't have the bun. So the girl, still looking at me like I was talking another language, walked around the counter to the hotdog case and took out a hotdog with bun, opened it and plopped the hotdog in the container then looked up at me with bun in one hand and the hotdog and container in the other with exactly this look :blink: . Ummmm...... no! <_< I could have done that! I need one where the bun is not touching the hotdog. The manager finally got me one! :rolleyes:

I think the best one, this is not a server but my DD's ped., asks me about my DD's diet recently. I told him she is wheat free. He turns around in awe and says "No wheat?". Me-"Nope" Dr-"None? Really?!" Me-"Nooooooo. None" Dr-"Really? Not even a little?" OMG NO........SHE GETS NONE! :wacko:

Saz Explorer

When I go to Maccas or Hungry Jacks I ask for it a burger without the bun, most of the servers do kinda look at u funny but are generally good.

Except for tonight.

I ordered a quarter punder and asked for it with the bun because i am allergic and could they put the filling in the container. The chic then goes to me: So you just want meat? I then camly explained no I want everything but the bun. I then had to ask for a knife and fork.

This isn't a server story but I guess it kinda fits in here. I find it shocking that when I explain it to a teen or adult they don't get or beleive it, I haven't figured out wich one.

Me: I'm allergic to gluten

Other: Whats that?

Me: Basically anything that contains flour or wheat, so most biscuits , bread etc.

Other: You can't even bread?!

IT is not that hard to understand! I would think most people understand what genrally contains flour and wheat!

• 1 month later...
brendygirl Community Regular
Most of the servers I have dealt with have been very helpful, and no one has been outright rude, but I did have an "ignorant server" experience recently when I went out of town. I was in this podunk town in N. GA, and I was dining at a cute little "sip tea and eat chicken salad" kind of southern restaurant. I ordered the one salad on the menu that looked safe, and told the sweet as pie server to make sure no croutons were on it. Well, she made sure no croutons were on it, but it arrived with a roll and a breadstick on the side of the plate!

THIS HAS HAPPENED SEVERAL TIMES TO ME. They understand wheat allergy and heed no crouton request, but then SERVE BREAD directly on top or beside the food!!!!

SO NOW I say, no bread, rolls, anything, and they look at me like I'm being ridiculously superfluous, but who cares?

Lisa Mentor

I willl have to read through this whole post, sounds fun, but have one for you:

On a road trip and eating at a new restaurant. Talked to the manager and he talked to the chef. He appeared fluent with the gluten stuff, as waitress was standing next to him while the conversation was going on.

We order. "My husband and I will share the filet and please put the demi-glaze on the SIDE so my husband can enjoy it"....."no problem".

When it arrived, the filet was plopped on top of the demi-glaze sauce. Call the waitress over, "I'm sorry, I can't eat this, as I asked that the sauce "on the side". I just died when she said this, "Well, it's not actually on the side, just under the steak".

My husband talked to the manager, who was somewhat familar......new steak and some really good wine on the house. They should have fired the dumb a$$. Who knows?

Saz Explorer

This isn't reallyabout the server being ignorant but it fits in best here.

Ordered a meal from Maccas last week. I said to the guy that I needed the burger without the bun. He said ok and then had a really confused look on his face and repeated no bun (more to himself than me) Thinking he thought I was very odd, I replied, yeah I'm allergic to the bun. He then replied "oh yeah thats fine but I'm just wondering how we would serve it to you. I told they usually put in a pancke tray.

I had to really contain myself to not laugh. It seems so obvoius to me to use the trays. But I could see the poor guy really did try and think about it. And I didn't have to ask him for a knife and fork, wich happens alot, Im not sure what they think Im going to eat it with otherwise.

Tim-n-VA Contributor

I was planning to take guests to an upscale steakhouse. I e-mailed and received an answer as to what on their menu was gluten free. When I ordered, I told the waitress that I needed a salad with no crouton because of an allergy. She brought a salad with croutons. When I pointed it out to her, she picked up the salad and half-turned away and started picking out the croutons with her fingers. I had her leave that salad and go fix another one. An e-mail to the manager later was not answered.

• 3 weeks later...
catlover Newbie

My new boyfriend didn't have a clue about "gluten Free" but seemed accepting of my diet. However, I noticed that we never ate out. We could go anywhere except a restaurant. I thought he was ashamed to eat out with me because of the gluten free restrictions.

Finally I got into an argument with him about. Turns out he wasn't ashamed to be seen with me. He was afraid of me eating the wrong food! I told him to treat me "just like anybody else" and I could handle the issue.

We then ate at a hamburger place and he was horrified when he saw me get a burger without a bun. He felt so sorry for me because he didn't realize buns has gluten. (I told you he was clueless) He spent the next hour apologizing for me "having to do without".

Now we can eat out anywhere, except first he checks with me to find out the restaurant has something I like that I can eat. He's still doesn't understand the "gluten thing" but at least he's trying.

Archived