This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Need Gluten!

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient

Get your attn? LOL Is that like running into a pack of vehment PETA folks and screaming "BEEF! ITS WHATS FOR DINNER!" ? LOL

Anyways, since I have never had a postive test for any food related issue. (A zero IgA, a 0 IgE, Biopsy failed to find anything, and so on). I am left with the old stand by of the DIET as a diagnostic for whats wrong with me.

I realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy hate to admit it, but dairy being gone from my diet now I am very sad to admit, I think I am diary intolerent (even though got a 0 on IgE for both casien and whey). That being said I though back to my tripple gluten challange I did. Each was done with the assumption that dairy was not an issue, so I took it form the angle "if Im gonna get sick its not gonna be over something bland and icky, give me PIZZA! CHOLOATE CAKE!!" etc. :) All of which had dairy and gluten in them. So realy I did not isolate gluten well enough for the challeges becuase my base assumption that dairy was safe was as wrong as it gets. :D

So now that I have been gluten-free since decemeber, I need some dairy free gluten to test with. Im gonna end up being mostly gluten-free becuase of my son (he did have postive blood work) but it be nice to have one less thing to worry about. :)

So any suggestions for easy to aquire (Im heading to Kroger for our weekly donation to thier employee's salaries) this am, so anything that a normal grocery store carries would be good. Heres the thing, I do not want even the slightest trace amount of dairy. I have good reason to believe that even the amount of dariy in something like Lays Staxx would set me off. But it should be high in gluten , just to be sure I got enough gluten to be a fiar test.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jerseyangel Proficient

I will suggest the food that will be guaranteed to send you straight to the bathroom, if gluten is your issue--TRISCUITS! The last time I ate one (6 months pre dx) I got sick almost immediately, whereas if I get CC now, it's 2 hours.

dlp252 Apprentice
Get your attn? LOL Is that like running into a pack of vehment PETA folks and screaming "BEEF! ITS WHATS FOR DINNER!" ? LOL

Anyways, since I have never had a postive test for any food related issue. (A zero IgA, a 0 IgE, Biopsy failed to find anything, and so on). I am left with the old stand by of the DIET as a diagnostic for whats wrong with me.

I realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy hate to admit it, but dairy being gone from my diet now I am very sad to admit, I think I am diary intolerent (even though got a 0 on IgE for both casien and whey). That being said I though back to my tripple gluten challange I did. Each was done with the assumption that dairy was not an issue, so I took it form the angle "if Im gonna get sick its not gonna be over something bland and icky, give me PIZZA! CHOLOATE CAKE!!" etc. :) All of which had dairy and gluten in them. So realy I did not isolate gluten well enough for the challeges becuase my base assumption that dairy was safe was as wrong as it gets. :D

So now that I have been gluten-free since decemeber, I need some dairy free gluten to test with. Im gonna end up being mostly gluten-free becuase of my son (he did have postive blood work) but it be nice to have one less thing to worry about. :)

So any suggestions for easy to aquire (Im heading to Kroger for our weekly donation to thier employee's salaries) this am, so anything that a normal grocery store carries would be good. Heres the thing, I do not want even the slightest trace amount of dairy. I have good reason to believe that even the amount of dariy in something like Lays Staxx would set me off. But it should be high in gluten , just to be sure I got enough gluten to be a fiar test.

Oh, you got me good, lol. :lol: I was coming in to say "NO, DON'T DO IT, DON'T DO IT".

Hum, that's tough even bread has dairy I think. The only thing I can think of might be cream of wheat cereal, or wheat chex or something like that, but I'd really read the labels because they sneak dairy in like they sneak gluten in sometimes. Maybe wheat germ and/or bran...cream of rye....wow, that's tough...I think giving up dairy was SOOOO much harder for me than giving up gluten foods.

StrongerToday Enthusiast

Wheat Thins (yum!)

jerseyangel Proficient

Triscuit ingredients=whole wheat, soybean oil, salt, monodiglycerides. I have a box of them in the house :ph34r: my son like them. Don't look at me like that, they're in the 'gluten' cabinet ;)

ebrbetty Rising Star

french bread is dairy free..I think ;)

I have a house full of Gluten :huh: I hate to make hubby and son suffer too, its not their disease

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Durum wheat pasta? :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TCA Contributor

You really got my attention too!!!

I was dairy free for over 2 years before being gluten-free. Pop tarts (brand name) were something I kept on hand for a quick eat. French bread and pasta were great too. I also made homemade bread, but you may not want to do that with your son in the house. Too much risk of CC. There are some delicious cookies I've found at most grocery stores - Publix, Target, Wlamart. They're sticks that are cinnamon, rasberry, vanilla, etc. flavored. I can't think of the brand to save my life, but they are sooooooo good. They're in a paper bag (ornge, blue and pink) and are in the produce section at our Target. I think they're French toast sticks, but I can't remember for sure. I saw a bag from a distance the other night and had to quickly go in the other direction!!!!!! Walmart has some store brand cookies with chocolate on them that are DF too. I'll keep brainstorming and see what I can come up with for you. I have some recipes, but let me know if you're comfortable using flour.

Good luck!!!! :)

tarnalberry Community Regular

seitan. it is nothing but pure wheat gluten. :-) found in the asian section of a well stocked store, or an asian market.

Guest nini

My hubby works in a pizza restaurant and the flour they use is labeled Extra Gluten!!! LOL! I could get him to send you an envelope of that stuff! (Yeah, like sending an envelope of powder through the mail is a GOOD idea!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!)

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Vincent I have to admit this is the exact same thing thats been running through my mind lately since finding out about dairy. Everything I ever ate had both gluten and dairy in them...not to mention food colorings and preservatives (which I'm also sensitive to). Someday when I'm symptom-free I'll probably want to test myself too. Good to know Triscuits dont have dairy in them....I love triscuits.

I tested negative for casein too (barely)....I was one point away. I *did* test positive for gluten but still....I want to be sure. Also it would be nice to know exactly what my reaction to gluten is...so if I get a reaction...I'll know I've eaten gluten by accident.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Matzoh! Ingredients: matzoh flour (wheat flour that has been blessed) and water.

And it's perfect for the holidays! (You can try it with Fleishmann's margarine--it's dairy-free.)

VydorScope Proficient
Matzoh! Ingredients: matzoh flour (wheat flour that has been blessed) and water.

And it's perfect for the holidays! (You can try it with Fleishmann's margarine--it's dairy-free.)

Dang it! Thats an awsome idea! To bad I am back from store now. Wish Id though of it.

As it is, I was weak LOL. I had the tirskets in my hand, then walked over to the pasta asle, and said hey psata sounds better, so put the triskets back then, I got to the cearel asle, and craved when I saw "NEW STRAWBERRY FROSTED MINIWHEATS! " LOL Im so weak. Ah well. :D I have them with Darifree and if I dont have any problems then thats that, if I do then I will wiast a bit and do the Matzoh, which is a fair more senislbe test (besides, I like them beter then triskets heheh).

jaten Enthusiast

Or just buy some of Bob's Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten....the pkg that's crammed up against our gluten-free stuff in some stores. Sprinkle liberally on any of your gluten-free, df, foods and voila!

Good luck. I cringe thinking about it, but understand why you need to know.

VydorScope Proficient

Well just ate a bowl, and not dead yet... guess gotta give it time :)

Or just buy some of Bob's Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten....the pkg that's crammed up against our gluten-free stuff in some stores. Sprinkle liberally on any of your gluten-free, df, foods and voila!

I thought of that, but I dont like the idea fo that air born wheat gluten in my house when we know my son has celiac disease. Get on the couners, and everything. :(

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Well just ate a bowl, and not dead yet... guess gotta give it time :)

I thought of that, but I dont like the idea fo that air born wheat gluten in my house when we know my son has celiac disease. Get on the couners, and everything. :(

Good luck, just remember that for some of us it's a delayed reaction. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Franceen Explorer

Triscuit crackers

Whole grain bread (read label to ensure no dairy) with nothing on it (maybe dairy-free peanut butter)

Grape Nuts or shredded wheat cereal (without MILK on it)

PASTA with sauce, no cheese

Maybe you are lactose intolerant vice dairy-allergic. Understnad that Lactose intolerance does not return positive for any of the allergens (eosinophils, IgE, etc).

After Gluten challenge,

Try glute-free dairy challenge using LACTAID?

Good Luck and happy challenge!

cornbread Explorer
A zero IgA, a 0 IgE...

Vincent, have you done a Total Serum IgA to test for IgA deficiency? A high percentage of celiacs are actuallly IgA deficient, which I presume would mean there tests would come back as zero, just like yours did.

Keep us posted how your gluten challenge goes!

VydorScope Proficient
Triscuit crackers

Whole grain bread (read label to ensure no dairy) with nothing on it (maybe dairy-free peanut butter)

Grape Nuts or shredded wheat cereal (without MILK on it)

PASTA with sauce, no cheese

Maybe you are lactose intolerant vice dairy-allergic. Understnad that Lactose intolerance does not return positive for any of the allergens (eosinophils, IgE, etc).

After Gluten challenge,

Try glute-free dairy challenge using LACTAID?

Good Luck and happy challenge!

Nope, I did my dairy test using lactiad milk and lactate pills. I ma intorent to somthing in milk, but not lactose.

Vincent, have you done a Total Serum IgA to test for IgA deficiency? A high percentage of celiacs are actuallly IgA deficient, which I presume would mean there tests would come back as zero, just like yours did.

Keep us posted how your gluten challenge goes!

Me to, and thats where Ive been hanging my hat, but thats just a guess, not an objective test. :(

So far so good... :huh:

gf4life Enthusiast

Vincent,

If I didn't have the Enterolab tests to show I really had an issue with gluten, then I would probably be questioning myself about gluten too. Except when I did a 2 month gluten challenge a few years back I WAS dairy free and still had horrible reactions to gluten! Also I can tell the difference between a gluten reaction and a dairy reaction. Gluten is a lot more painful for me and causes a lot of symptoms in the long run. The dairy just causes a lot of bloating and gas. Not fun, but not terribly painful.

What you need to figure out with the dairy is not whether it is an allergy or an intolerance (you already know it isn't an allergy if you tested 0 IgE), but is it an intolerance to lactose or casein. If it is lactose then you can take pills for that or eat the products that have lactaid in them. If it is casein then you just have to avoid all dairy...

I made a mistake the past few days on my dairy free diet. I ate some margarine that wasn't dairy free! I was wondering why after nearly 2 weeks of a quiet tummy I was having issues again. I certainly need to be more careful. Of course the turkey I have thawing in my fridge to cook for Easter dinner is not dairy free, but I have friends coming for dinner and that is what they (and my family) want me to cook. I guess I will go light on the turkey and be Gluten-free Casein-free again on Monday! :huh:

As for dairy free gluten suggestions, I did do the vital wheat gluten. It was awful. I wouldn't recommend it. Also, I agree that it would not be safe for your son to have it in the house. At the time I did it none of my kids were gluten-free yet. For me it was a cheap gluten source, since the 1 lb. bag lasted me the entire 2 months and I didn't have to keep buying gluten foods.

VydorScope Proficient
Vincent,

If I didn't have the Enterolab tests to show I really had an issue with gluten, then I would probably be questioning myself about gluten too.

I would try Enotrolab if I could afford them. :(

What you need to figure out with the dairy is not whether it is an allergy or an intolerance (you already know it isn't an allergy if you tested 0 IgE), but is it an intolerance to lactose or casein. If it is lactose then you can take pills for that or eat the products that have lactaid in them. If it is casein then you just have to avoid all dairy...

I know its not lactose causae I tested with lactaid. And I know its not an allergy, like you siad. So thats already narrowed down.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hey Vincent--how's your stomach? Anything yet?

Felidae Enthusiast

Wow, I was feeling just like you. I had all the same questions until Tursday night. I unknowingly got glutened and I have been feeling the effects ever since. There was no dairy. So, I guess I got my answer, I hope you get yours too.

I too would have done Enterolab, but not in my budget.

megsylvan2 Apprentice

Vincent - I did this very same thing only a couple of weeks ago. 1/2 a triscuit did me in. Then a few days later after that cleared out of my system, I had a nice dinner of pasta with marinara sauce and a slice of Italian bread. That also did me in.

I had many other excellent suggestions from posters - such a cream of wheat cereal, although it tastes pretty yucky without milk.

P.S. - Plan to be up all night. We'll have to keep you company here on the board. :rolleyes:

VydorScope Proficient
Hey Vincent--how's your stomach? Anything yet?

Nothing so far, so Im braving a second bowl. heh. Maybe I can get a few days off work this way! :o:blink::huh::rolleyes:

Archived