This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

diamondheart Newbie

Hey Donna,

I just noticed that your signature says you have Klebsiella. This was the bacteria I was found to have in October. Actually, on my lab test, they grouped it with the Klebsiella/Enterobacter/Serratia bacteria. I also had alpha hemolytic Streptoccus. Bacterial dysbiosis by any other name would smell just as bad <_< ! They were really causing me some problems. I wonder if they were unwelcome hitchhikers from my world travels this year. Sounds like you might have had yours before your cruise?

Claire

P.S. I love your new picture!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel, maybe all your BioSET treatments have allowed you to eat more foods at Christmas? I didn't specifically get cleared for quinoa, but my acu said sometimes when you clear other stuff and foods, it takes care of some foods you were previously sensitive to. Plus, phenols, I guess, are in lots of foods (too hard to avoid), so YEAH for getting cleared for those!

Hey Claire!

Glad you had a good Xmas! Getting "lit" sounds pretty good to me. :lol:

I wont be having any alcohol anytime soon though. <_<

I get really bad reactions to Quinoa cereal. Its pretty immediate and my face and mouth starts burning really bad. I think its because of the natural "soapy chemical" that is on the Quinoa. They say you're suppossed to wash it off before eating. I was eating quinoa flakes hot cereal. How the heck would you ever wash the soap off of these tiny flakes?? :blink:

I have big problems with all the phenols....just all chemicals in general. Theres stuff I have problems with that I didnt even see on the panel...so I dont even think the phenols panel was big enough for me. :unsure:

This is my main concern about getting cleared for the foods....that I'll still be reacting to the phenols. Especially salicylates cuz I didnt see it in the panel. For example, suppose I react to raspberies badly because they are high in Tyramine and Salicylates...wouldnt clearing raspberries *not* exactly fix the problem if its a problem with the phenols??? Thats my biggest worry but I'm gonna ask about it next week.

I tried to ask at my last session but it wasnt my main BioSET lady doing my treatment and this other practitioner isnt as knowledgable...she didnt know what salicylates were. :( She looked it up on the computer and all they had on there was the salicylate found in aspirin and I react to it everytime they've gone through the testing but they havent tried to clear it yet. Aspirin has the highest amounts of salicylates but sooooo many other foods have it......especially the fruits and veggies. I cant eat fruits and veggies too much and I *think* its because of the salicylates. So I dont know how they can clear me of the foods if they arent addressing this major phenol......and I dont understand why it wouldnt be part of the panel. :huh:

She said to remind her and she'll clear the salicylates from aspirin in one of my upcoming treatments. I wonder if this would also clear salicylates as a whole?? :unsure: I even react to Salicylic acid which is in alot of face creams and other skin products. I know this is a BIG problem for me and I hope its something that the BioSET team can help with......it would allow for alot more foods in my diet.

Other than worrying about that I am VERY much looking forward to getting started on the foods. :D

Thats awesome that you're doing so well with your treatments!! How exciting! :D

Unfortunately I cant make my own rice because I react to rice in general. I've tried all different kinds and they just dont work well....I get super puffy after I eat rice. :(

We'll see what happens when they start clearing some of this stuff. I have no problems waiting a week to try stuff.....actually I was kind of wondering if I'll be able to get over my fears and start eating all these foods. I might be too scared. :huh:

Theres like 350 foods I need to have cleared and I'm sure more will be added on since I've probably "earned" more in the last 2 months since my original testing. It just never ends with me...I think if I just *look* at something I become intolerant. :blink:

Today is another snow day from work, so I'm catching up on this thread! We had 2.5 snow days from work last week because of the blizzard here in Colorado, but it wasn't all that relaxing because of all the shoveling and Christmas prep that needed to be done. I don't remember ever having this many snow days at work

Hey....werent you asking everyone to send you some snow?? Looks like you got your wish!! :P

I couldnt even imagine having a "snow day" at work. :unsure:

happygirl Collaborator

x

AndreaB Contributor

Laura!

I was beginning to worry about you. :( Glad to see that you are ok.

Now if we could find Rhonda.....does anyone know if she snuck off to see that precious grandbaby again. :)

AndreaB Contributor
I have big problems with all the phenols....just all chemicals in general. Theres stuff I have problems with that I didnt even see on the panel...so I dont even think the phenols panel was big enough for me. :unsure:

This is my main concern about getting cleared for the foods....that I'll still be reacting to the phenols. Especially salicylates cuz I didnt see it in the panel. For example, suppose I react to raspberies badly because they are high in Tyramine and Salicylates...wouldnt clearing raspberries *not* exactly fix the problem if its a problem with the phenols??? Thats my biggest worry but I'm gonna ask about it next week.

She said to remind her and she'll clear the salicylates from aspirin in one of my upcoming treatments. I wonder if this would also clear salicylates as a whole?? :unsure: I even react to Salicylic acid which is in alot of face creams and other skin products. I know this is a BIG problem for me and I hope its something that the BioSET team can help with......it would allow for alot more foods in my diet.

I'll be curious as to what the main lady has to say about this. Very good question(s).

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Holy Heck.....I just read some good info that I posted on another thread by Peace.

I'm just gonna do a copy and paste from what I posted

Many Lyme Disease patients have routinely subnormal body temperatures so that the appearance of a temperature of 98.6 degrees F may be compatible with a low grade fever analogous to diabetics.
Increasingly, I am encountering thyroid disease in Lyme Disease. A local endocrinologist has remarked to me privately that the incidence of thyroid involvement in LD may be greater than expected from the normal population. A final judgement awaits formal statistical analysis. In many of these patients, the thyroid dysfunction was seen to originate in the pituitary or hypothalmus. Remaining alert to the possibility of thyroid disease is essential because there can be considerable clinical overlap with LD. Subacute thyroiditis is the most prevalent thyroid phenomenon I see in LD. Hypoadrenalism can uncommonly develop. Uncorrected hormonal aberrations can vitiate otherwise effective LD therapy. Like any infection, LD can provoke the onset of hyperglycemia and alter the facility with which diabetes is managed.

From all that I've read about Lyme and thyroid issues....they kind of go hand-in-hand. Its probably why I got Graves Disease to begin with. Lyme can have a big impact on the endocrine system as a whole. Treatment of Lyme ususally corrects the problem but in the meantime you need to make sure if your numbers are ok. People with Lyme feel better with their TSH in 1-2 range....anything above that and you might want to add some T4/T3.

I read that Lyme patients *need* T3 added in. I take Armour which contains both T4 and T3. My numbers are good and I have no fatigue or other Hypo symptoms except for the low body temp. I dont think that gets better until the infection gets better.

Interestingly, a low body temp causes the body's enzyme systems to work inefficiently because enzyme function is very temperature sensitive. Enzymes are essential for digestion so this could account for alot of the food intolerances we get.

I would really look into your thyroid levels since you also have the sluggish digestive system. I had that really bad earlier in the year and I believe at that time I had switched thyroid meds and my TSH went up over 6. Around that time I had a colonoscopy and had been constipated for about 2 weeks. The GI said I had large amounts of impacted stool and that my digestion was extremely slow.

Constipation severe enough to cause fecal impaction can occur. Many LD patients will experience a spastic (irritable) colon and that diagnosis should spark a search for LD.

Funny thing is I had an ultrasound in the summer (for ovarian cyst) and the OBGYN couldnt even *see* my ovaries because my intestines were "all over the place". She showed me the monitor and told me that the movement that was going on was something she had never seen before. She said whatever was going on was not normal and shouldnt be occurring.

I wonder if that would have been the same as a spastic colon?? She said it looked to her like my intestines were overactive....maybe trying to digest.

Maybe something similar is going on with you with the motitlity problems?? I think its worth looking into. Matter of fact after reading all this I'm gonna get my thyroid levels checked next week to make sure they're still good. Heck...if my numbers arent good it sounds like that could really affect enzyme function and digestion.....which could definately cause more food intolerances (although I think I'm pretty maxed out in that area ).

This is the site where the quotes came from. "When to look for Lyme" The article is long but one of the best I've read as far as mentioning all of the associated conditions and symptoms caused by Lyme.

Open Original Shared Link

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Who remembers the ALIEN BABY incident??? :o:o

Could a "spastic" colon have been what the lady was seeing on the ultrasound that day?? :unsure:

I used to try to keep my TSH as close to 1 as possible but it didnt seem to help me so I havent been as compulsive about it. That was BEFORE I made diet changes and everything else. Maybe it will help if I try to monitor this more closely again......see if it helps with the enzyme problems that I know I have. It might have a more noticeable affect now that I'm not totally polluting myself with cigarettes, alcohol and fast food. :rolleyes:

Salicylate sensitivity and other phenol problems are a direct result of enzyme inneffeciency. I know mercury can cause the problem too so raising my body temp. might not help at all but its worth a try. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice
Hey Donna,

I just noticed that your signature says you have Klebsiella. This was the bacteria I was found to have in October. Actually, on my lab test, they grouped it with the Klebsiella/Enterobacter/Serratia bacteria. I also had alpha hemolytic Streptoccus. Bacterial dysbiosis by any other name would smell just as bad <_< ! They were really causing me some problems. I wonder if they were unwelcome hitchhikers from my world travels this year. Sounds like you might have had yours before your cruise?

Claire

P.S. I love your new picture!

Thanks, lol. Guess I'd better change my picture soon though. Yes, I did the stool test before I went on vacation. My doctor told me nothing about the klebsiella. He was pretty thorough with the H.Pylori, but said nothing about ole klebie, lol. I asked him if the antibiotics were for both infections and he said yes. The only thing I know about it is that it seems linked to pneumonia, which to my knowledge I've never had and some other really frightening things I wish I hadn't seen, lol, and that it is really resistant to antibiotics. I'm wondering which of my myriad of symptoms are caused by these two little demons. :lol: I'm taking PrevPac for the H.Pylori which is two antibiotics and prevacid, plus pepto bismol.

Anyway, what did your doctor tell you about klebsiella and what are you doing for it? :)

dlp252 Apprentice
Who remembers the ALIEN BABY incident??? :o:o

Could a "spastic" colon have been what the lady was seeing on the ultrasound that day?? :unsure:

I used to try to keep my TSH as close to 1 as possible but it didnt seem to help me so I havent been as compulsive about it. That was BEFORE I made diet changes and everything else. Maybe it will help if I try to monitor this more closely again......see if it helps with the enzyme problems that I know I have. It might have a more noticeable affect now that I'm not totally polluting myself with cigarettes, alcohol and fast food. :rolleyes:

Salicylate sensitivity and other phenol problems are a direct result of enzyme inneffeciency. I know mercury can cause the problem too so raising my body temp. might not help at all but its worth a try. :)

I remember alien's baby, lol. Good stuff on the thyroid/lyme connection. My body temperature is very low as well, and lately I just can't seem to get warm...either that or I break out in a cold sweat! Whatever happens on the Bioset appt. regarding lyme for me, I think I'll still make an appointment with the LLMDs cuz I'll definitely need help with the mercury stuff, and I still think my thyroid should be tested cuz it was never tested correctly. Harumph! :lol:

I bet you DID have a spastic colon, although I would think that she would have seen at least one other of those, but who knows.

happygirl Collaborator

x

Rachel--24 Collaborator
hey ladies...i have some catching up to do! we are on page 751 and I have to go back and read from 743....but that will be after my bath :)

Hi Laura

Welcome back! :)

Hope you had a great holiday. A bath sounds really good...I'll be taking mine soon. :D

Right now I'm drinking my ice cream though. :lol:

happygirl Collaborator

x

linds Apprentice

hello guys! I am just popping in with an update on how i am doing.

so i decided to try eating gluten again it tasted SOO good!! This is the 4th day that i have been eating it and i haven't had any side effects. i mean i don't feel great but i didn't ever feel great even gluten free. but its weird i haven't felt really bad since i started eating it again. i started out slow with just 3 little spritz cookies the first day then just one piece of pizza the next day, toast yesterday!!! and then toast and pizza today! well we will have to see how this goes. i didn't want to jump in to a huge meal of gluten right away.

its so weird, when i first went gluten free i thought it was so hard to figure out if things were gluten free or not and now when i don't have to think about it i still find myself thinking about what is in the food that i am eating.

AndreaB Contributor

Rachel,

That info on lyme and thyroid is interesting. I'll be curious to see what your levels are and whether you'll have a better time with digestion when you get your tempurature up again......aside from the work bioset is doing.

Laura,

You and Patti must have been visiting.....she got a cold the day after Christmas I think. I'm glad you'll have a long weekend to take it easy and nurse your cold.

Donna,

I can't wait to hear about how your bioset appointment goes next weekend......hopefully you won't be too tired to post about it afterwards.

Linds,

That's great that the gluten is going well with you. Lyme could be causing your intolerances and general not feeling well. I am concerned about you since you are in a high risk area.

diamondheart Newbie
Anyway, what did your doctor tell you about klebsiella and what are you doing for it? :)

I'm seeing a Doctor of Oriental Medicine (same as the BioSET guy I've talked about). This guy is pretty well known in that field and has written a couple of books on the topic. Anyhoo, he told me that antibiotics aren't effective for the bacterial dysbiosis I had. Not that this guy is rabidly against antibiotics, which I expected after reading his Open Original Shared Link. He even told me that if you have something that antibiotics treats faster than Chinese medicine, then by all means, take it. However, I really think that the oral antibiotics have screwed up my digestion overtime because they killed all the good stuff in my gut as well as the bad. He gave me a Chinese herb, Open Original Shared Link, to be specific. I can't remember how long I took it, but at least a month, maybe two. The other two supplements I've been taking, the probiotic and prebiotic that I previously posted about (on pg 751) have also helped with any remaining problems.

I'm not sure if the Chinese herb I took would take care of the H. pylori. My doc said that he could test me for more things, but that the herbs would take care of them, so I'm guessing he was talking about stuff like H. pylori. I never had stomach pains, so I don't think that's where I was having problems anyways.

Make sure you are taking a good probiotic with your antibiotics to repopulate your gut with the good bacteria! Let us know how it goes for you.

Claire

diamondheart Newbie
I get really bad reactions to Quinoa cereal. Its pretty immediate and my face and mouth starts burning really bad. I think its because of the natural "soapy chemical" that is on the Quinoa. They say you're suppossed to wash it off before eating. I was eating quinoa flakes hot cereal. How the heck would you ever wash the soap off of these tiny flakes?? :blink:

Yeah! Good point! Who wants to eat soap anyways :P ?

Thats awesome that you're doing so well with your treatments!! How exciting! :D

We'll see what happens when they start clearing some of this stuff. I have no problems waiting a week to try stuff.....actually I was kind of wondering if I'll be able to get over my fears and start eating all these foods. I might be too scared. :huh:

Well thanks! I'm actually there myself, too scared about eating all these foods that I've been reacting to in the past. My doc tells me I need to test them. What am I going to do if he tells me he clears the gluten? I mean, it's so engrained in me at this point not to eat it. I haven't even brought myself to eat a full meall with tofu. I have only tested one piece. I'm too chicken :rolleyes: ! And the box of popcorn that I was so excited about buying is still sitting on the shelf. I can't bring myself to eat it yet. :ph34r:

Claire

dlp252 Apprentice
I'm seeing a Doctor of Oriental Medicine (same as the BioSET guy I've talked about). This guy is pretty well known in that field and has written a couple of books on the topic. Anyhoo, he told me that antibiotics aren't effective for the bacterial dysbiosis I had. Not that this guy is rabidly against antibiotics, which I expected after reading his Open Original Shared Link. He even told me that if you have something that antibiotics treats faster than Chinese medicine, then by all means, take it. However, I really think that the oral antibiotics have screwed up my digestion overtime because they killed all the good stuff in my gut as well as the bad. He gave me a Chinese herb, Open Original Shared Link, to be specific. I can't remember how long I took it, but at least a month, maybe two. The other two supplements I've been taking, the probiotic and prebiotic that I previously posted about (on pg 751) have also helped with any remaining problems.

I'm not sure if the Chinese herb I took would take care of the H. pylori. My doc said that he could test me for more things, but that the herbs would take care of them, so I'm guessing he was talking about stuff like H. pylori. I never had stomach pains, so I don't think that's where I was having problems anyways.

Make sure you are taking a good probiotic with your antibiotics to repopulate your gut with the good bacteria! Let us know how it goes for you.

Claire

Thanks Claire!! The next phase of my H.Pylori treatment is probiotics + Prilosec OTC. Prilosec gives me stomach aches, but the doc wants me to try anyway (I think he is convinced the H.Pylori was the cause of my previous pain experience with them, lol.

I feel the same as you do about antibiotics...I was on them nearly constantly for 3 years and although I was feeling bad BEFORE I took so many, I think they made things a lot worse. I also took a lot of probiotics during and after each round. My doctor has recommended one called HLC, which looks pretty good from what I've seen. I usually buy mine at Whole Foods, but may give these a try.

rinne Apprentice

Just driving by, I see I have some catching up to do, hope everyone is finding some ease this season.

AndreaB Contributor
Just driving by, I see I have some catching up to do, hope everyone is finding some ease this season.

I've been worried about you. Glad to see that you are ok. :) I hope you are feeling well......and happy. :unsure:

Anonymousgurl Contributor
Hi Peacenlove!

I'm the other person doing BioSET treatments right now. I'm cruising through the treatments pretty quickly. I've had about 6 treatments, and we're working on gluten right now! I only had two treatments for phenols and other stuff before going on to foods. You are right that the food clearing is the fun part! Unfortunately, I don't get a print out from my acupuncturist, but he is writing down what he is clearing. As far as I know, I don't have Lyme disease, but if I get resensitized to any foods, I'll start looking for other things going on. I worked on my bacterial overgrowth in my gut before doing BioSET.

My acu (the BioSET guy) is of the "take it slow" attitude also. He says the "BioSET people" say you can have a food as soon as you are cleared for it, but he makes me wait till the next session to confirm that it is clear. I was on a pretty fast schedule for the BioSET, but I decided to slow down. I don't want to reintroduce foods too quickly. I still can't believe that I can eat walnuts, pecans, soy, corn, and quinoa now without problems. I haven't gone back to eating these foods in the quantities I did before since I'm used to not eating them. These are the things I discovered I did miss: soy sauce - there really is no substitute when having sushi; corn chips - I did not miss corn tortillas, but a good corn chip with guacamole beats rice crackers any day! I used to eat a ton of nuts, but I'm used to not eating them now. Oh, and I can "officially" have eggs now. I guess I used to be sensitive to them, but refused to give them up because I had no noticable reaction to them. I had to give them up for a week while getting cleared for them. That was hard enough. Gluten and dairy are the next two big ones to clear. My acu thinks that dairy might be the core allergy for me.

I'm still feeling exhausted, but that might be due to other things; holiday stress; the fact that we had 2 1/2 feet of snow last week and I had to shovel it all from the driveway; or hormones out of whack. I just got back my female hormone panel. Well, my acu got it. He called to talk to me about it last night and said that my hormones are off, but that it's fixable. I knew they were off. He said that I'm ovulating, but that my peaks are off. He said it could be treated nutritionally, with herbs, or with hormones. I don't want to take any hormones because of my propensity towards uterine fibroids. One surgery this year to remove them is enough for me!!

Hi Diamond!

It's nice to know someone else who's going through bioSET. I've had around...hmm...maybe 25 treatments? maybe a little more? And it definitely does help with foods, but because I have other infections going on I always get re-sensitized. So I have the same problem as you do....I'm scared to add foods too :) But you know, if you don't have any other issues like parasites or infections, you really should be fine. Did they tell you though about things that can re-sensitize you? If you catch a cold, it can throw things off...or if you have a tramatic (emotional) experience, or even if you fly on an airplane (I have no idea why!). But yea...keep me updated on how things are going! I love to hear how it works for other people.

So I got pretty behind on the posts but I think someone brought up the thyroid information that I was presented with in another board. It really made me think. My conventional doctor insists that my thyroid is fine, but my homeopathic doctor isn't sure and my BioSET lady always finds a problem with my thyroid through BioSET checks. My body temperature is EXTREMELY low too..my nose runs, my hands are ice, and I get so cold that my muscles start spazzing. I always have HORRIBLE constipation. Rachel, I have the opposite problem as you do...tests have shown that my intestines don't want to move. It could be a problem with the nerves or something...but for some reason, I just have REAAAALLLLY "slow motility". The past couple of days it's been horrible, which I dont know why because it *should* be better now that im gluten free? I don't know. Usually my magnesium gets me to go (if i dont take it, my intestines dont move) but for the first time ever, it doesnt seem to be working as well. im really scared, starting to panic.

But i hope everyone else is doing well!

CarlaB Enthusiast

Peace, Google Dr. Broda Barnes and you will learn a lot about temperature and thyroid.

I took thyroid for years, but got off all my supplements a couple months ago because I had diarrhea for six weeks and needed to figure out why. I take my temps. every day for other reasons, so I saw that my temps were looking good and didn't go back on it. They're really not that stable right now, but they are higher than they used to me. In fact, they're well within normal range. I'm not having a good thermal shift after ovulation, so there might be something hormonal going on, but how could there not be? Maybe I'll have to start using the progesterone cream again ...

Anyway, my temps are up, I have more energy most days (this is fairly new), and I have had no food reactions in a LONG time. I haven't tried gluten, but I did go back on dairy with no problems. I think the salt was the thing that helped the temperature as I didn't start taking samento till a few days ago. I think my experience supports what was said ealier about low temps and food sensitivities.

dlp252 Apprentice

Just a drive by for Rachel...

No need to check out the Whole Foods at Bascom & Hamilton cuz they DON'T have any flippin pumpkin pies! :lol: :lol: :lol: And I stared at the darned shelves for about 5 minutes (reminiscent of the Bumble Bar fiasco several months ago)...even went back a second time and stared some more. Stared at the gluten free freezer too. :lol::ph34r:

CarlaB Enthusiast
Just a drive by for Rachel...

No need to check out the Whole Foods at Bascom & Hamilton cuz they DON'T have any flippin pumpkin pies! :lol::lol::lol: And I stared at the darned shelves for about 5 minutes (reminiscent of the Bumble Bar fiasco several months ago)...even went back a second time and stared some more. Stared at the gluten free freezer too. :lol::ph34r:

I thought I was the only one who stared at food. I just simply hate eating ... so I don't like buying it either.

Anonymousgurl Contributor

oh I was going to add this to my post up there^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and forgot.

I noticed that a lot of people here are from northern California...so am I!!! Lyme disease is having a field day in a lot of cities up here....especially Santa Cruz.

Mtndog Collaborator

I just wanted to pop in and say HELLO, Happy New Year and lHEALTH, ove and hugs to all! :D :D :D

Archived