This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

AndreaB Contributor
Just a drive by for Rachel...

No need to check out the Whole Foods at Bascom & Hamilton cuz they DON'T have any flippin pumpkin pies! :lol: :lol: :lol: And I stared at the darned shelves for about 5 minutes (reminiscent of the Bumble Bar fiasco several months ago)...even went back a second time and stared some more. Stared at the gluten free freezer too. :lol::ph34r:

:lol::lol::lol:

I remember the Bumble Bar fiasco. :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AndreaB Contributor
I just wanted to pop in and say HELLO, Happy New Year and lHEALTH, ove and hugs to all! :D :D :D

Good to see you Bev.....don't be such a stranger...

jerseyangel Proficient
I stared at the darned shelves for about 5 minutes (reminiscent of the Bumble Bar fiasco several months ago)...even went back a second time and stared some more.

Oh Donna--you poor thing! :( First the Bumble Bars, and now this :angry:

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

hi guys

hope you all have a great new years eve doing what ever.

hugs

judy

dlp252 Apprentice
oh I was going to add this to my post up there^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and forgot.

I noticed that a lot of people here are from northern California...so am I!!! Lyme disease is having a field day in a lot of cities up here....especially Santa Cruz.

Really??? I used to spend a lot of time in Santa Cruz...I'm over the hill (in more ways than one, lol) in Campbell (near the Los Gatos border).

dlp252 Apprentice
I thought I was the only one who stared at food. I just simply hate eating ... so I don't like buying it either.

I still like eating, lol, I keep staring thinking that if I stare long enough some of what I want will magically appear, lol. :lol: Kind of like watching a pot boil...it just doesn't happen. :lol:

elisabet Contributor

just wanted to pop in and say hello and happy newyear to every one.

elisabet

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice

Grrr, just got kicked off AOL...back to my replying...

Oh Donna--you poor thing! :( First the Bumble Bars, and now this :angry:

Oh, it gets worse!!! :lol: I stared at the fruit spread shelves because yesterday was the second Saturday in which they didn't have my all time favorite cranberry fruit spread--doesn't have any sugar, just fruit. The guy saw me staring last week and asked what I was looking for, but did he order any, NOOOOOOO. :angry: They've had that fruit spread for years...I'll never see it again. :lol:

Then, it's been about a month now that I haven't been able to find my favorite frozen cherries. They're organic and pitted and I add them frozen to my smoothies. I stare at the frozen fruit shelf too. :P

I may have to switch stores, lol.

Happy New Year to everyone!!! Hi Bev and Judy, Happy New Year to both of you!

dlp252 Apprentice
just wanted to pop in and say hello and happy newyear to every one.

elisabet

Happy New Year to you as well!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

HI back AT YA DONNA

WHAT A BUMMER.

I HATE DRIVING ALL THE WAY TO THE ONE STORE THAT CARES 3 THINGS I CAN'T GET ANYWHERE ELSE AND THEY ARE OUT....GRRRRR.

I JUST LOVE TO COME ON HERE AND SEE YOUR PICTURES.

ALWAYS GIVES ME A CHUCKLE..

HAVE A GREAT NEW YEARS EVE IN WHAT EVER YOU DO.

JUDY

AndreaB Contributor

Donna,

What's with your store not stocking your stuff anymore? :angry::(

Hopefully you'll be able to find them again, at a different store.

I'll add my Happy New Year wishes to everyone as well.

Here's for a safe and healthy year and finding answers for those that haven't yet.

covsooze Enthusiast

Just driving by to say Happy New Year to everyone :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Happy New Year to everyone!!! :wub::wub:

I'm on day 6 of my Cats Claw and havent had a Herx or anything. <_<

I went up to 3 drops yesterday (even though I'm not suppossed to) :ph34r: ...So far nothing...I actually feel pretty good. :unsure:

I know I was scared of herxing but now I'm wondering why I'm not. :huh:

I'm wondering what will happen in a couple weeks when I have my usual flare up of symptoms?? Might it be worse this time?? :unsure:

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I noticed that a lot of people here are from northern California...so am I!!! Lyme disease is having a field day in a lot of cities up here....especially Santa Cruz.

Yeah....and when I first asked Kaiser to test me a couple years ago they said Lyme wasnt common here....only if I'd been visiting the East Coast could I have gotten it. <_<

Kaiser = the suckiest HMO ever :angry:

Lyme is actually all over CA....right here in the Bay Area there are support groups, LLMD's, lots of people with Lyme Disease. On the Lyme message board there are ALOT of people from CA.

In the state of California, an analysis of Ixodes pacificus ticks has demonstrated that the ticks carry Borrelia burgdorferi, the organism that causes Lyme disease, in 42 counties, with a majority of these in the northern part of the state. Additionally the problematic tick species have been found in all counties except for two. There is no published information that the states of Washington and Oregon have done similar analysis for the presence of infected ticks.

I got that info. from this site...

Open Original Shared Link

Heres a map of CA and which couties have been found to have ticks carrying Lyme.

Heres a map of the country and you can see that Lyme is definately present in CA.

There is higher risk in Northern CA. I'm not surprised about Santa Cruz because of the mountains and woods.

Peace...I'm in the Bay Area....lived in San Jose for awhile and then 7 years ago moved out to the Central Valley (Manteca). I spend the week in the South Bay (where I work) and go home on the weekends. I never lived outside of this area....was born in San Fran. and dont travel much. I had to of gotten Lyme from this state.....I think maybe Tahoe but who knows cuz I've been camping all over Northern and Central CA since I was a kid.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Then, it's been about a month now that I haven't been able to find my favorite frozen cherries. They're organic and pitted and I add them frozen to my smoothies. I stare at the frozen fruit shelf too. :P

Donna...I stare at the shelves too.....and yeah...I still love eating. Just wish I could eat MORE!

I stared at the shelves where the pumpkin pie was for a LONG time. I knew they didnt have any cuz the shelves were fully stocked....whereas the last time they were almost empty but still had 2 pumpkin pies.

A guy from the bakery came and asked me if I needed help. :lol:

I told him I was looking for the gluten-free pumpkin pie but that they obviously didnt have it anymore. He started talking about gluten-free foods and how alot of people are eating it because it improves digestion and stuff. He was asking me if I notice anything different eating it cuz he might try it out. I told him I was eating it for medical reasons. He wasked why and I said because I have alot of health issues and food allergies. He wanted to hear about my health problems.....MAN...I HATE that.

Lately I've just been *not* wanting to explain any of it to strangers cuz its just way too complicated. If I just had Celiac or something it would be EASY to explain that....I used to think it was difficult but its really not....not compared to all this.

A couple weeks ago I was looking at the whip cream.....trying to decide if I wanted to risk it. I kept reading the ingredients and then putting it back...only to come back a minute later and do the same thing. :rolleyes:

A guy came up and commented about being impressed to see someone read ingredients and then put the item back. I could have acted like I'm some health conscious consumer but I'm really not....I'm just someone who was forced into this new and "improved" way of eating. :rolleyes:

I told him I just cant eat certain things for health reasons but if I *could* I'd go to McDonalds and get a BigMac right now....I wouldnt be shopping in Whole Foods and obsessing over labels and ingredients. :rolleyes:

Then he wanted to know all my problems. :(

Does anyone else feel the same?? Like you just dont wanna talk about it "normal" people who can eat whatever they want?? How could they possibly even comprehend any of it? :huh:

Nancym Enthusiast

Ha! Sounds like guys trying to make conversation with the pretty girl in the supermarket. :)

Anonymousgurl Contributor
Happy New Year to everyone!!! :wub::wub:

I'm on day 6 of my Cats Claw and havent had a Herx or anything. <_<

I went up to 3 drops yesterday (even though I'm not suppossed to) :ph34r: ...So far nothing...I actually feel pretty good. :unsure:

I know I was scared of herxing but now I'm wondering why I'm not. :huh:

I'm wondering what will happen in a couple weeks when I have my usual flare up of symptoms?? Might it be worse this time?? :unsure:

Well I'm glad that you're feeling good Rachel! I've been on Artemisinin for quite a while now and I just started Catnip yesterday (I've also been on Grapefruit seed extract for a while) and I haven't "herxed" yet. How will I know when I have? Do you think this bout of constipation counts? LoL.

Wow! We're from the same area! I'm from the bay area and was born in San Fran too :) I believe I might have gotten mine from Tahoe too, or perhaps from Santa Cruz.

And I know exactly how you feel when you say you don't want to explain everything to people. That's how I am with my friends. It's like I know they'll think I'm crazy once I start explaining...and it takes so much energy too...so it's just not worth it. I feel like they judge me when I try to explain because it's not a normal "illness" and it's not their everyday way of life, so i feel like they think I'm just a crazy liar. Or just anorexic and making up excuses for things. Then I guess I just ended up pushing my friends away, and now im on my winter break and feel like a lonely loooooser.

AND OMG KAISER SUCKS...grrrrrrrrr.....they messed me up so badly...I wont even try to EXPLAIN what they did to me but I dislike them with intensity. "No we won't test you for parasites because you haven't been out of the country. It's all in your head". GRRRRRRRRRRR.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Rachel, if you have the four week cycle, I'd bet you'll herx somewhat then. I'm up to 8 drops twice per day and am feeling pretty good (it's relative though, it wouldn't be good for a "normal" person ... I just took a three hour nap!). I just ordered some artemisia annua online yesterday.

I wonder why I don't cycle? Strange. Maybe as I start feeling better I'll notice it more ... for now I just feel bad all the time.

CarlaB Enthusiast
Ha! Sounds like guys trying to make conversation with the pretty girl in the supermarket. :)

I agree.

Speaking of flirting ... TheDave hasn't been here lately, did I miss something?

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I've had around...hmm...maybe 25 treatments? maybe a little more? And it definitely does help with foods, but because I have other infections going on I always get re-sensitized.

Peace....I'm behind you in treatments...I think I've had close to 20. Do you get re-sensitized to *everything* or just certain things like dairy?? Do they check to see if you're still holding your treatments everytime?? If I go through all the treatments and I just get re-sensized to everything I'll probably stop the treatments.

Maybe I'll see if she can just focus on detox and my pathways and other stuff like making sure I can tolerate things like vit c, magnesium, b vitamins....stuff like that. Then I'll just concentrate on the infection and try the treatments again later.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I agree.

Speaking of flirting ... TheDave hasn't been here lately, did I miss something?

No...you didnt miss anything.

I just tend to distance myself from people while I go through stuff. I wasnt the most "upbeat" person around the holidays so I've mostly kept to myself for weeks now.

I just talked to him last night....he's still the same supportive and caring guy. :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator

:ph34r:

What really surprised me was the fact that the baker guy totally looked surprised when I said I ate gluten-free because I had to for health reasons. Clearly he had never heard of such a thing....he looked at me like this. :huh:

I think he was actually the bakery manager because he was saying something about possibly expanding his gluten-free section because of sales. He was showing me where he might put more gluten-free stuff.

The whole reason that the gluten-free Bakehouse exists is because of one of the Whole Foods bakers getting diagnosed with Celiac and deciding to create gluten-free baked goods in his store. It was so popular that he ended up getting his own dedicated facility and the Whole Foods gluten-free Bakehouse was born. It was because the guy had Celiac and Whole Foods has a little leaflet in their bakery dept. telling the story and facts about Celiac Disease.

Obviously the gluten-free diet is more of a "fad" thing nowadays cuz this baker had no clue. :unsure:

CarlaB Enthusiast
he's still the same supportive and caring guy. :)

Glad to hear it! :)

CarlaB Enthusiast
Obviously the gluten-free diet is more of a "fad" thing nowadays cuz this baker had no clue. :unsure:

We're trendsetters!

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Any thoughts about this??

For people like me...who react to everything.

I was wondering if it could be that our immune systems are hyper alert due to the Lyme. Same reason that I dont get colds....maybe my immune system is gonna be overactive until the problem is better under control and then it can relax some??

I sometimes wonder if thats why I'm reacting to everything...I'm gonna ask my Dr. if my immune system could just be hyperactive rather than in the dumps.

I *did* have Graves Disease and not Hypothyroidism like most people get. My immune system and my body have been revved up for a long time. I've never been one to get sick with colds for as long as I can remember.

After they gave me the RAI to kill my thyroid I went even more Hyperthyroid. They said it could happen...when the radiation starts doing its thing you can actually get more overactive temporarily. The antibodies go way up after the treatment and the thyroid pumps out even more hormone.

This happened to me and it was really bad. I wanted to die...I kept calling the Endo. and he said I just had to wait it out. I was getting tests and it was showing I was going more hyper and the numbers were high. He told me they shouldnt get higher and everything should start calming down...but it DIDNT.

I kept calling him crying....got tested again and my T3 was over 800!!! I had been begging him for Methimazole.....the anithyroid drug I used to take before RAI but he didnt want me taking it because it can compete with the RAI and make treatment ineffective.

At that point with my T3 and T4 being through the roof he said it would be dangerous if I went any higher.... so he gave me the meds. It worked and I felt better and went Hypo. It was after this that I started reacting to everything.....except at the time I didnt realize that foods was causing problems. Things were still happenning because I went hyper one more time after that.

I'm wondering if my immune system was already overactive due to Lyme if having this treatment caused it to go into an even high state of "alarm" and revved it up so much that I became sensitized to everything??

When I read about mercury it says this...

Mercury causes immune disregulation. Victims often have difficulty fighting off minor illnesses, get sick more often, and have a more serious and prolonged illness compared to others who get the same thing (e.g. recurrent bouts of bronchitis).

Well....I dont get sick at all...even when everyone around me is sick with colds and flus.

I definately think my immune system is super-charged rather than dragged down. I'm gonna bring all this up to the Dr. next week. :unsure:

Archived