This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

Janeti Apprentice

Carla,

What do you know about oregano oil? Also, do you feel that it really works, and how long after you notice a difference? I am having such a hard time

with candida, and I am taking the threelac which I felt that i really was helping. But the past few days I have feeling really crummy. I get crazy because I have no idea if I was glutened, or is the candida? The dizziness, burning red eyes, the intestinal cramping and my very musical guts. I just want this to go away. I am so tired of it all. And if you can also tell me which one is better than another. Thanks, Janet

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tom Contributor
. . . . I am having such a hard time with candida, and I am taking the threelac which I felt that i really was helping. But the past few days I have feeling really crummy. I get crazy because I have no idea if I was glutened, or is the candida? The dizziness, burning red eyes, the intestinal cramping and my very musical guts. I just want this to go away. I am so tired of it all.

I spent far too much time in that condition.

In my case it never was being glutened. It was always the candida & leaky-gut-induced intolerances.

Your description was me every day, 'good' days and bad - some symptoms never give ya a break.

Or at least not until you find and eliminate the food intolerances.

Every day I feel fantastic ALL day. (99.6% close enough?) I never even imagined life could be this good - and that's truly not hyperbole.

I still don't eat towards 90% of the food out there. (Maybe 85% now - almost 3 mos in)

I eat well and just have to plan ahead more than ever before.

So, Janeti -

Are you on a STRICT anti-candida diet yet?

Do you keep a food/symptom diary yet?

tom Contributor
So basically I can eat beef, chicken, broccoli, lettuce, cauliflower, celery, onion, artichoke, asparagus, spinach, squash and that's about it. I'm supposed to avoid all sugar so that cuts fruit out for now too. I guess I'm just whiney today and feeling sorry for myself. Hoping to be better and not so whiney soon B)

Ami

Hi Ami,

Nobody *here* sees *anything* as whiny - we're all just saying how it is.

I sure hope u get to use garlic and fresh-squeezed lemon juice. I use one or both in almost everything I cook. And some things I don't cook - like the mouthwatering 5 ingred salad dressing I make most often. (5 if u count sea salt & fresh pepper!)

I can barely stand cauliflower w/out lemon juice, but with it I can't get enough.

And how about ginger? Can u have that?

CarlaB Enthusiast
We have the ART/ASYRA tomorrow and I'm also planning on having my root canal pulled.
Ouch! Good luck with that!

CARLA! I have no idea why I never saw or heard a Bass Flute before, but my second day in SJ my old drummer played in a small group where one woman played bass flute on a couple songs. Wow! What a tone!
I've never heard or seen a bass flute in person, but have on film. They are really cool. I was thinking about buying an alto flute off a friend of mine, but decided I didn't really have a place to play it. I've never had the opportunity to play jazz, it's always classical (or church music, LOL) for me ... if I ever have the opportunity, perhaps I'll buy and alto.

Adam bought me this flute for our anniversary almost two years ago. Mine is the top one in the picture ... Open Original Shared Link. It says it's in the key of D, but it's a C instrument ... it's meant to play music written in the key of D ... if it had no keys, like the one below it, it would only be able to play in the key of D ... does that make sense? Anyway, there's a recording of it on the site, too.

I can play it and have when the Church music is in the key of D. I'm not as good at hitting notes using the silver keys, just because I haven't spent that much time on it.

The frustrating thing right now is that I can't play my piccolo at all and I can only play my Boehm flute for notes written on the staff ... it's all because of this extra stuff they've put on my braces to pull my teeth closer together. Nothing helps ... my lips are just too small to get around all this to get a good embouchure. I'm wearing extra rubber bands ... the ortho is going to take them off and use a tooth positioner to finish the job once the rubber bands pull my teeth together again ... I'm hoping by December so I can play for Christmas.

Anyway, I'm doing OK with the diet. Having quite bad reflux, maybe that's herxing? Drinking hot water which seems to help with that - maybe something you could try Kassandra?

Have you tried squeezing a lemon in it? Lemon helps me with the acidic-ness of herxing ... seems paradoxal.

I go Tuesday the 11th to have the amalgams removed. After that I will go to the doctor to see what the results of all the testing was. I am so ready to feel better or at least have a plan to get to feeling better.

You're on your way to feeling better! Hang in there! It's tough, I know!

What do you know about oregano oil? Also, do you feel that it really works, and how long after you notice a difference?

Janet, I was told by my doctor to take oregano oil and plant tannins (Open Original Shared Link) for my bacterial dysbiosis. I really feel the oregano oil has been a miracle herb for me!!! I had constant diarrhea for years, and it's totally gone.

I use it twice daily, and a third time if I'm having any kind of GI upset. I use Wild Oats brand ... it only calls for 4 drops in water. I'm happy with this brand, so I'm not going to try the others, which called for more like 30 drops per dose. I don't remember how long it took to notice a difference ... it's been more of a slow change for me. I know that a couple weeks into it I felt significantly better.

I don't have candida problems, but I hear it's supposed to help with that, too.

The most important thing with candida is to totally avoid sugar, even sugary fruit.

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Lisa,

You sound like me! :lol: I have been indulging in a daily candy bar lately. I finally cut that out the other day! I am afraid to try bananas again. They made me very ill the last time I ate one. :(

You feel drunk because of the carbs. What happens in some people with Candida is that fruit and other high carb foods are distilled in your gut. It is then turned into alcohol, which can make you feel drunk. Look up Charlie Swaart, The Drinkless Drunk. You will be amazed by the story. It explains what happens in this case.

It is wise to avoid the chelation right now. Still having fillings in is not good. The chelator will just mobilize the metals and redistribute them. That will make you feel worse. Also, it can cause higher levels of metals.

Dear Mango,

Nice to see you! How are you doing? We have not seen you on here in a bit! I hope things are going well. It is been quite busy on here sometimes.

Dear Kassandra,

My mother and yours have got to be the same one. It sucks having people you are stuck living with that do not understand. Even worse, you try to function on a daily basis with all of this misery. My parents complain when they cannot get into the bathroom, but refuse to be considerate of the Celiac. This drives me nuts.

Plus, it is where you have difficulties doing anything. They accuse you of having an anxiety disorder! :rolleyes: If you did not feel like puking or passing out all the time, going out would be a fun activity. However, most of the time, I am too tired and sick. The rare times I am feeling like doing something, my car is not available. So, even if I did drive, there would be no point. Despite this, I really need to get my license.

Dear Andrea,

That is such a bummer about poor S! I was hoping he could eat tomatoes again! :( I was allergic to them when I was young. I used to break out in a rash. I still get a rash from strawberries.

I enjoy some of those computer games. They have one called Chicktionary I really like. It is addictive. Wheel of Fortune has always been a favorite of mine, too. I also liked the Millionaire game online. I have not been able to beat it yet.

Dear Donna,

The adrenal fatigue is a huge issue for many chronically ill people it seems. Those little glands take the brunt of everything. Lyme, mercury, Candida, you name it, it can stress out the adrenals. The dietary changes ease the burden.

In some people that is all that is needed, but I do feel people with chronic illness will likely need more. Finding the source of the trouble is essential in repairing the adrenals.

I cannot believe you got a top at Macy's for $2.38! I cannot believe you got anything at Macy's for that price! :lol: That is what I would expect to pay for a replacement button for a blouse I bought at Macy's! :lol: Kohl's is the best for their clearance rack here. Speaking of, I should probably go there and get something to go with my new hat!

Kassandra sounds like me. Once one thing is fixed, something else gets messed up. This is a terrible cycle. I feel she has more than one thing causing this misery. I know my body has a bunch of things going on.

Dear Carla,

Thank you for the oregano oil info! If I decide to try it, I will keep that in mind not to overdo it. Starting slowly is the smart thing to do. Yeast is difficult to deal with anyway. Why make it worse than it has to be?

My stomach pain is definitely lower. Yours sounds like it was right in your stomach. Mine is in the colon. I get gas pain elsewhere, too. The horrible cramps are below the bellybutton.

That flute is beautiful! Are they expensive? I know good ones usually are. If you are lucky, you can get a good one used for $800. I am kind of nervous about anything someone puts their mouth on that is not new, though!

Dear tom,

Do you have any pics of the Basilica in SF? That would be neat. Maybe you could find it on the internet somewhere.

We do not have anything that fancy here. Our town has some beautiful Catholic churches, though. Some of the stained-glass work is amazing!

Congratulations on your shirt deals! :) Silk especially is difficult to find at a good price! I do not shop at thriftstores much, although I love bargains. Normally, it is due to most of the thriftstores having poor quality items there. You always should check the stitching and other features prior to purchasing anything from those places.

Two jobs with one stone! :lol: How exciting is this!? I do not know which one I would go with if I only could choose one. It is a good thing you can do both if you want. They both sound so promising! :)

Silly man! :rolleyes: I was not comparing the Bay Area to LA. I was comparing California in general to where I live!

People here are scared to death of healthfood and low-fat anything, or organic items. I agree that botox and silicon are overdone, and not healthy practices. It blows my mind some of things people do. Personally, I think some of these procedures actually make people look worse.

Dear Janet,

I have been getting stomach cramps as well! I wonder if the Candida was causing it. My system does not like anything lately. You and I sound a lot alike. Leaky-Gut is horrible. I need to do a rotation diet to see what I react to.

Dear Ami,

HUGS! We know how you feel! Do not worry about venting. Everyone needs to release some stress now and again. Whine freely if you so desire! We all understand!

I think you will feel better after those amalgams are out. We will keep our fingers crossed for you! The 11th may be a good day for you. Mercury can make you intolerant to everything. Lisa is having similar problems. She is sensitive to chemicals, foods, and everything else.

I am like that where nothing seems to set well. No matter what it is, it hurts my system. My digestive tract in particular is a problem. The nausea and stomach cramps and D are terribly difficult to deal with. Some days, I have the "Please Kill Me" days.

Dear Susie,

Iron does not set well with me. It nauseates me and gives me D. Hives are not uncommon with a lot of things. I get them from out of nowhere. I suppose the yeast does this. They go away and come back all the time. Whether it contributed to your miscarriage, I am not sure. I would not rule it out.

My doctor is not that worried about the blood pressure, either. She said it was on the low side. A little salt is all she said to add. I have tried salt, and it helps some. I use sea salt.

Your energy very well could be better from not eating potatoes. They do turn into sugar. That can make you sluggish after your blood sugar spikes, then falls rapidly. High carbohydrate foods tend to do that. I feel better on them as long as I do not overeat them. Too many pure carbs makes me sleepy.

Dear Everyone,

Well, I saw the doctor and got my shot yesterday. She said she does not know how to read the Western Blots, but is going to checkout IgeniX. Hopefully, we can at least set that up. I told her I have friends that can interpret the results, but they are not doctors. Still, I worry she thinks I am a hypochondriac. It could be that she is just overwhelmed by all that is wrong.

You just do not know what people are thinking. I just do not trust people anymore. After all I have been through, it just is not possible. Doctors particularly are not on my good side. All of you understand this, but other people just do not get it.

Sincerely,

Jin

CarlaB Enthusiast

Jin, we got a used flute for our daughter for $250. Technically speaking, you don't put it into your mouth. ;)

Yes, the Irish flutes are expensive. :)

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Carla,

That is good you do not have to put it in your mouth. $250 is not a bad price. I have an Irish Whistle I got on one of our trips to St. Louis when I was young. Sometimes I still take it out and play it. I would love to own an Irish lap harp, but it is about $350. One thing is for sure, my father will not be allowed to touch either after what happened to my violin and guitar!

Sincerely,

Jin

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Janeti Apprentice

Well Tom,

I am trying my best with the diet. I don't believe that I know all the the diet rules. I am going to stop at the library tomorrow to see if I can get a book called "the candida connection". Did you ever hear of it?? I know that I have said this before, but I am soooo tired of feeling this way.

Carla,

Also on my way home I am picking the oregano oil up. Something has got to help me. Thanks, Janet

ami27 Apprentice

Tom,

I can use garlic and ginger, but no lemon. Lemon was one of the things that showed up on the EAV testing that I should avoid. I do use garlic, but haven't used ginger in quite a while. It's just difficult figuring out what I can eat and what my boys will eat. Luckily, my husband isn't very picky. He never complains about what I cook and is actually quite grateful for it :)

Ami

AndreaB Contributor
oops, sorry to have waffled on. I'm on my work PC, not sure if I'll have a computer at home this evening!

Sorry about your computer. :( Magnesium stearate is in pretty much everything.....I don't know anything about it though as far as your question.

I have been feeling so bad lately. It seems like everything I eat makes me feel bad.

I'm sorry Ami. Hang in there....the 11th is almost here!

It's good to see you. :)

Well, I saw the doctor and got my shot yesterday. She said she does not know how to read the Western Blots, but is going to checkout IgeniX. Hopefully, we can at least set that up. I told her I have friends that can interpret the results, but they are not doctors. Still, I worry she thinks I am a hypochondriac. It could be that she is just overwhelmed by all that is wrong.

All she need to do is the blood draw and signature I believe. At least you'd have your results.

We're back, I'm tired. Tooth out and it was the worst cavitation according to muscle testing. The dentist scraped the bone. As long as I stay on the tylenol I'm ok. I've got to sleep elevated tonight.

More things on the ASYRA came up and Dr E tested for support/detox for all of us. No more LED's as we are super low on funds and she wants us to come back for a check back in about 6 months. Until then, it's the supplements.

confusedks Enthusiast

First, I want to say...I was having a hard day today and read all or your kind responses and it perked me up immediately. I am going to try an anti-candida diet, but I can't do it right now because the last time I did it, I got so sick I ended up missing about 3 weeks of school! :o

Someone (can't look through posts to find out who it was...homework...sigh!) asked if I'm taking yasmin and I'm not. I'm taking Yaz which I guess is just a lower dose hormone than Yasmin. I'm fairly happy with it, but the weight gain, grrr! It could be exacerbating my symptoms, but I really have to be on some kind of hormone to prevent never ending periods! (I went 90 days straight once because I didn't want to go to the doctor to get put on BCP's). I tried going off of it a month ago and I didn't stop bleeding...eek! THen I get anemic again!

All the suggestions, I will try them. Carla, thank you for the idea of taking oregano oil at night...never would have thought...lol! Mine is also only 3 drops every 2-3 times daily.

I'm still taking 2 Prilosec OTC every night before bed (with some food...thanks Jin) and it is helping for night, but not at all during the day! It's bad. I'm going to call my Dr. again tomorrow. Even though my Doctor loves me...I think he is sick of me...lol! :P

Hope everyone had and has a good day!

Kassandra

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Janet,

I have never heard of "The Candida Connection", but have heard of and read "The Yeast Connection" by Dr. William G. Crook. It is the most commonly used protocol for eliminating yeast. Another great book I read for my research is "The Yeast Syndrome" by Dr. John Parks Trowbridge and Morton Walker MD. I actually found the pathology so interesting, I decided to write an essay on it for school a while back. I am desperately needing help, too.

Dear Ami,

I had too much garlic at once the other day, and boy did that cause trouble! :( I will not eat a whole clove's worth at once again! That was a big mistake on my part. I wonder if there is some garlic that is enteric coated and does not irritate the gut? Meanwhile, I have a small list of things I can do to help my health now.

Dear Andrea,

That is exactly how I feel! I figure, at least I would have the results from the Lyme test! Plus, I know Carla, Donna, and Rachel could help me interpret them. Doctors really need to sort out their priorities. :rolleyes: Sometimes you wonder if they are not sampling some of those pills they get for free.

I am sorry to hear about more sensitivities popping up for you guys. That is such terrible news. I was hoping things would improve. The supplements might help, though. It can take some time.

I am glad the dentist scraped the bone after removing the tooth. That is a good sanitary practice. Dental work can be so problematic that way. At least that is out of the way! Take it easy, and eat soft foods if you can.

Dear Kassandra,

You are welcome! I did not want anyone getting sick from the Prilosec on an empty stomach! Goodness it is bad when that happens. I was in bad shape until I figured out what caused that. Incidentally, if it is not helping much all the time, you may want to take one pill every twelve hours. That helped me.

One thing is, if the medicine is not working all the time, or seems to wear off too soon, your gallbladder is a good candidate. When I had mine in, they had me on Prevacid, Aciphex, and Prilosec. None of them seemed to do much good after a little while. Proton Pump Inhibitors tend to be short-circuited by the gallbladder not functioning well. I actually used to get reflux from baby food because my gallbladder was bad. It quite common for Celiacs to lose their gallbladder.

The periods are another thing I have had trouble with. When I was your age, I had 5 cysts in less than 10 months on my ovaries. I was also anemic. My periods were very heavy to the point I went through a super-plus tampon in an hour. My cramps were also extremely painful. I would have pain shooting from my uterus down into my rectum. The first three days of my period, I would not be able to stand straight. They ended up placing me on the Depo-Provera.

Sincerely,

Jin

tom Contributor
Well Tom,

I am trying my best with the diet. I don't believe that I know all the the diet rules. I am going to stop at the library tomorrow to see if I can get a book called "the candida connection". Did you ever hear of it?? I know that I have said this before, but I am soooo tired of feeling this way.

I think that was one of the books I read. I got most of my diet info by comparing & combining 5 books & a few websites. Too many sites are just touting whatever they're selling, but I'm positive that w/out a strict diet, all the pills, drops & powders can't make candida go away. (And vice-versa)

So much contradiction on diets. Every source allows or disallows something the previous source said was the opposite.

But all agree on sugars, sweeteners and sweet produce, whether fruit or not. Carrots and red bell peppers are too sweet in many sources.

And they agree on yeast, vinegar and anything fermented.

I was fine w/ 4 or 5 types of nuts, and many sources say some types bought raw and home-roasted will be fine. The single ingredient almond butter made for the easiest way to get SOMEthing in me.

You won't always feel "this way". I felt better the day after I started the diet. (The 2-3 day herx didn't come until almost a week later, after starting the pills & powders my Naturopath prescibed)

tom Contributor
Dear Ami,

I had too much garlic at once the other day, and boy did that cause trouble! :( I will not eat a whole clove's worth at once again! That was a big mistake on my part.

:huh: that was from just a clove? I thought it was the whole BULB!

I put TWO cloves in my single serving salad dressing tonight. Can't deny it gets pretty garlicky but I love it. Had it hrs ago and feel like I still taste it a little. :) yum

covsooze Enthusiast

Hi Carla

What does the oregano oil do? Should I be on the anit-candia diet for a while before trying it so that I don't herx too much?

Hi Tom

What anti-fungals and supplements did you use to defeat the candida? How long did you have to use them?

Everyone - proud mummy alert :) DS started school today. He's so cute in his school uniform! He was very excited, as were his friends. It was us mums who were all emotional!

Susie x

dlp252 Apprentice

Hello everyone...been reading along but not much time to post. It's been busy at work, and will be the same today, and then yesterday evening my gut hurt so bad I couldn't sit up, so didn't even get on the computer...won't have time tonight either unless I stay home from choir.

Saw one of my HN doctors yesterday....he wants me to do a neurotransmitter test...have to wait for that to come in though...he just ordered it a couple of days ago. This will tell him what is what and maybe why I can't sleep. He says he got this test especially for his "hard case" insomniacs. :lol:<_<

CarlaB Enthusiast

Kassandra, maybe after a couple weeks of taking the oregano oil at night, you can test it again during the daytime ... also, maybe after you're better tolerating it, you can slowly go onto the anti-candida diet. Since you have to be alert at school, just cut back slowly on things you know feed the candida.

Like, one week, cut out obvious sugar and eat a banana or another sugary fruit if you start to feel bad ... then when your body gets used to that, cut out sugary fruit ... etc.

Go slowly so you don't overwhelm your system. It's likely that you have candida given your reaction to the diet and to the oregano oil ... it's most likely from the celiac and BCP. It still bothers me that your doctor can't find out what's wrong and is only masking the symptoms with the Pill ... I realize you need it because of the anemia, but I'm really wondering what's causing it .... perhaps it's celiac disease related and will go away as you heal.

Hi Carla

What does the oregano oil do? Should I be on the anit-candia diet for a while before trying it so that I don't herx too much?

I tried to Google it to get a list of benefits, but a bunch of sites came up advertising it.

I'm taking it to kill the bad bacteria in the gut. I had an overgrowth and it's been working wonders. No more diarrhea! It also is an anti-fungal, so kills candida. For that reason, if you have a big candida problem, I'd go slowly. I had no reactions to starting it, but I don't have candida overgrowth.

It's good for a lot of things and can't hurt. It's been a miracle herb for me. My gut's been in bad shape for years, and I'm finally normal ... mostly ... I still get pain sometimes when I eat.

Hello everyone...been reading along but not much time to post. It's been busy at work, and will be the same today, and then yesterday evening my gut hurt so bad I couldn't sit up, so didn't even get on the computer...won't have time tonight either unless I stay home from choir.

Saw one of my HN doctors yesterday....he wants me to do a neurotransmitter test...have to wait for that to come in though...he just ordered it a couple of days ago. This will tell him what is what and maybe why I can't sleep. He says he got this test especially for his "hard case" insomniacs. :lol:<_<

Now, there's a dilemma -- the thread or choir practice ... :lol:

Now that Ambien officially doesn't work for me (gets me to sleep, but doesn't keep me asleep), now they can get my insurance to approve the time released Ambien (advertised heavily on TV), well, we're still waiting on approval, but the pharmacist doesn't think there will be a problem since I've already tried two drugs. Since the Ambien gets me to sleep, I think the time-released will probably work!

Keep us posted on what you find out.

tom Contributor
Hi Tom

What anti-fungals and supplements did you use to defeat the candida? How long did you have to use them?

Hi Susie, (looks like I don't need to specify Susie-UK anymore)

I used probably every anti-candida substance in existence, but none of the pharmaceutical anti-fungals. Had planned to, but my Naturopathic Dr (ND) said I wasn't healthy enough to take one at the time. (Summer '05)

The ND started me on a combo anti-candida pill containing maybe a dozen of the usual things - Pau D'arco, Caprylic Acid, etc etc. She also gave me 3 or 4 other pills and a powder. I was pretty out of it and don't really remember what they all were.

The "how long" question is harder to answer than it seems it possibly could be. The way my soy problem worked out soooo slowly, it's entirely possible that the candida was largely cleared up in 2 months and I just kept blaming it for the symptoms from the soy.

So I must recommend watching out for other food intolerances.

If I were you, I'd find an ND w/ candida experience. Otherwise, get on a strict diet w/ zero cheating and take one of the commercially available combo anti-candida pills. Maybe when the bottle runs out, surprise the buggers w/ a different anti-candida combo pill.

Good luck! The diet isn't easy, but it IS what works.

. . . . and then yesterday evening my gut hurt so bad I couldn't sit up, so didn't even get on the computer...

Was I guarding the cookie aisle at all the wrong times???! <_<

. . . oregano oil . . . .

It's been a miracle herb for me.

Yay!

I'm surprised I don't remember reading much about oregano oil until very recently.

Did you start it just in the last few weeks?

"Miracle Herbs" need more frequent mention, tho we know it won't as well for *everyone* as it has for you, Carla.

Mango04 Enthusiast
Dear Mango,

Nice to see you! How are you doing? We have not seen you on here in a bit! I hope things are going well. It is been quite busy on here sometimes.

Hi Jin :). Yes, things are going well. I lurk here occasionally when I have free time at work :ph34r::lol: I like to see how you all are doing :)

Someone (can't look through posts to find out who it was...homework...sigh!) asked if I'm taking yasmin and I'm not. I'm taking Yaz which I guess is just a lower dose hormone than Yasmin. I'm fairly happy with it, but the weight gain, grrr! It could be exacerbating my symptoms, but I really have to be on some kind of hormone to prevent never ending periods! (I went 90 days straight once because I didn't want to go to the doctor to get put on BCP's). I tried going off of it a month ago and I didn't stop bleeding...eek! THen I get anemic again!

I believe Yaz contains the same ingredient as Yasmin - the one that will lower your blood pressure. Just thought I'd point that out since you mentioned low blood pressure was a problem for you. I know it's hard to find a good pill though. Sorry you're having a rough time :(

Had it hrs ago and feel like I still taste it a little. yum

I'm trying to find a grossed out emoticon I can insert here LOL :lol:

Hi to everyone else :D

AndreaB Contributor
The ND started me on a combo anti-candida pill containing maybe a dozen of the usual things - Pau D'arco, Caprylic Acid, etc etc. She also gave me 3 or 4 other pills and a powder. I was pretty out of it and don't really remember what they all were.

Mitch and I are being put on Pau D'arco.

Donna,

Keep us posted on the sleep thing your doctor ordered. I hope your gut is doing better today. :(

CarlaB Enthusiast
I'm surprised I don't remember reading much about oregano oil until very recently.

Did you start it just in the last few weeks?

"Miracle Herbs" need more frequent mention, tho we know it won't as well for *everyone* as it has for you, Carla.

Right ... it's working for me because it targets the bacterial overgrowth I have.

I started it a few weeks ago ... after my test showed bacterial overgrowth I took Cipro for 20 days, but as soon as I went off it, the problem came back. We took the reaction to Cipro as a confirmation that the bacteria was causing the D, but since Cipro is a "last resort" abx, we started an herbal protocol for a more long-term solution.

I started out with Uva Ursi, Oregano Oil and Plant Tannins. Uva Ursi isn't meant for long-term so I stopped it, but still take the other two.

Plant tannins is another thing for anyone with gut issues (all of us here, right? :D ) to check out. www.intensivenutrition.com.

Janeti Apprentice

Carla,

Oh my goodness...I picked up the oregano oil today. I also gagged when I took it. :o It is so potent. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it go down a little easier? I am really counting on this to work on the candida. This truly is the last resort. I wouldn't know what else to do. Thanks, Janet

tom Contributor
. . . . I am really counting on this to work on the candida. This truly is the last resort. I wouldn't know what else to do.

The oregano oil is far from a 'last resort'!!!

Didn't you just get a book yeserday? There are many products and combinations thereof that can kill candida.

***BUT!!***

If you're still feeding it, it survives. :angry:

You had said you were trying to do the diet.

You MUST starve it by keeping on the strict anti-candida diet.

I know very well how frustrating it is to try so many things and still feel like a pile of crap, but I don't think you really believe it when u say "I wouldn't know what else to do." You DO know what else to do. And it's what you'll HAVE to do, sooner or later.

Stop eating what the candida wants. It actually affects you neurologically to create cravings. So . . .. .who's gonna be in charge of what u eat? It or you?

The strict diet is hard, but it's temporary and you can do it!! ;):)

CarlaB Enthusiast
Carla,

Oh my goodness...I picked up the oregano oil today. I also gagged when I took it. :o It is so potent. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it go down a little easier?

:lol::lol:

Yes, it is vile!!! I take so many vile things that I just take it! I mix it in a small amount of water and take it like a shot.

Tom is right, oregano oil is not a last resort! It should help though.

You have to starve it by cutting out its food source entirely.

Also, there are various products like caprylic acid that kill it off.

Eat lots of coconut oil, onions, and garlic.

I hope you get good results with the oregano oil! I sure did! (but my problem was not candida).

tom Contributor
You have to starve it by cutting out its food source entirely.

Also, there are various products like caprylic acid that kill it off.

Janet,

It truly is a two-pronged approach. Neither diet nor pills will do the job solo.

Annnnnnnnd speaking of "various products", I went and grabbed empty pill bottles I'd kept just to know what I'd taken.

I'm sure the "Candida Connection" book mentions many of these anti-candida substances and of course many can be found - eventually - online, after wading through so many sites just selling their 'formula'.

Besides Caprylic Acid there's:

Milk thistle extract

Grape seed extract

Oregon grape root (& extract)

Grapefruit seed extract

Garlic extract

Probiotic blends

Barberry bark

Garlic bulb

Pau D'arco bark

Licorice root

Ginger root

Goldenseal

Goldthread

Undecylenic acid

Rosemary aerial parts oil (?)

Thyme " " " "

Fenugreek seed

Slippery elm bark

Triphala

Marshmallow root extract (always funny to me but turns out the smores ingred looks like part of the plant!) :)

Papain

While not candida killers, some pills also had enzymes like amylase, malt diastase, invertase, hemicellulase, lipase etc

And that's w/out even mentioning the prescription pharmaceuticals that can help kill candida!!!

Two-prongs, done right = no more candida.

Archived