This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Can I Beat My Carb Addiction?

covsooze

covsooze Enthusiast

OK, so I'm probably going to be flamed by you healthy people with the 'new attitude problem' ;):rolleyes: but I'm really struggling with eating cakes and biscuits - gluten-free, but I'm eating way too many, the fat irritates my stomach and I know it's not good for me, but when i get tired and down (which is quite often) that's what I reach for. Nothing else seems to fill me up in quite the same way. I do eat fruit, veggies, meat, nuts etc, but more than a little bit of fruit, or nuts irritates my stomach and I can't eat beans or pulses to fill me up as they give me painful wind...

Sorry for moaning, but I do actually want to beat this and would be grateful for suggestions!

Perhaps one day I'll be able to join the new attitude problem thread and not feel like hiding away in shame.... :ph34r::o:rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'm afraid you do not qualify for flaming, as you are trying to break this habit. You are not flame-worthy. :P:lol::P

Right, then. With that silliness out of the way... :P

You do it by doing it. Maybe there's a trick that will work well for you, but if so, you may have to figure it out yourself, as it varies from person to person. Some tricks that people have suggested and may work in combination or individually:

• cold turkey - don't have any of the really offending items around, period
  • daily allottments - allow yourself a certain amount, but no more
  • distraction - when the craving hits, go do something else (not eating) for a little while (~15 minutes), then re-evaluate
  • modification - make your own versions of what your eating, and make them healthier
  • gradual change - take what you're craving and slowly change it, over a number of weeks, to what you're aiming for

It sounds like depressive eating, really, which isn't about the food, so I would most encourage the distraction method. Get up and do something (take a walk, clean the kitchen, organize a bookshelf, read a chapter in a book, draw a picture, call a friend, something/anything). Then try to make a different choice. You may find that you can eat produce or beans/pulses IF you gradually incorporate them into your diet. VERY gradually. Or if you change the way you cook them. (Throw out that first soaking/rinse water, for instance, and don't add salt early in the process with lentils.) You may also need to expand the list of things you cook. Keep trying, and keep experimenting to see what works. But mostly BE PATIENT with yourself. You're trying to break an old habit AND form a new one. Don't expect to see a solid change until... *checks calendar* ...October - and that's if you're really trying regularly.

jenvan Collaborator

I wouldn't feel too bad--I think most of our society is addicted to carbs now! ...unfortunately! Tiffany put some helpful options here. I have modified my diet in several ways--I went too carb heavy initially on the gluten-free diet. I'm still trying to cut out more. What is helpful for me is a combination of things: 1. Don't buy the offending foods anymore. If you are disciplined you can try and measure out a serving and stick with that. But in this case, getting those offending things out of the house might be better. I have tried to gradually switch things over myself....2. Replacing foods--training. This won't work for every personality, but does for me fairly well. Instead of cookies I am eating a few pieces of dark chocolate, trying to retrain myself to think of that as a satisfying dessert...or training myself to eat more fruit. I am starting out eating fruit on top of some sorbet as dessert...then eventually getting to just looking at fruit, maybe with some honey as a good dessert. However, I will still eat some of those other desserts--b/c maintaining no carbs/cookies etc. usually backfires for most folks. This retraining can work well...the mind can be a powerful thing! Before going gluten-free I hated tomatoes, mushrooms and beans--yuck! After going gluten-free I thought they would be good things to add into my diet, so slowly I added them in, in small amounts. I love beans now, put tomatoes in lots of things and cook with the mushrooms a fair amount. (They still freak me out a little bit : ) Hope one of these tips might strike a chord for you! You can do it! Sometimes it can be a matter of weaning. Just remember whatever you do, make it sustainable... a lifestyle change, not a diet.

Nancym Enthusiast

I found a lot of support here: Open Original Shared Link

People who are dedicated to all kinds of "lower" carb diets. Lots of health information, recipes, support, medical info, etc. Good folks!

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I find that having a system helps me...I mean a system of eating. This means finding one that works for you and then modifying it slightly (if need be). I use Paleolithic diet. What I mean by there being a system is that you can really wrap your head around what you eat and why - in this case, only stuff that paleolithic chicks would eat - well, modified on the meat end of things of course since buffalo is so expensive and kindof creeps me out after being vegetarian for so long.

Or specific carb diet...or hygeine diet...or maker's diet... In ways they are absurd and so American - we have so little tradition around eating that we can have nine hundred diets around. On the other hand, they are a system in which to think about food. It doeesn't work well for all folks.....

BUT

I get cravings still -- not for carbs specifically, but for that full satisfied feeling. I tend to glom onto something that works, then eat it to frequently and develop an intolerance. Right now it is walnut butter. I literally eat some out of spoon, then feel better. But I get very frusted at how I have to dirty up the kitchen whenever I eat. I mean I've never done so many dishes in my life as since I went gluten/grain free. I have to cook everything. Ug.

So.

1. sautee up some veggies that are good cold as well as hot, like asparagus, green beans.

2. avocados with salt and pepper or humus can really be satisfying

3. if it's sweet you need, what about stevia in almond butter with cinnimin (sp?) - it's good

But like I said, I personally can't have the cookies in the house, or I'll want to eat them. This is an advantage to havng a non-gluten intolerant partner. He can have cookies in the house and I CANT eat them; if they were gluten-free, I'd be tempted like crazy.

Sorry my typing is so bad...just pl;ayed tennis and can't seem to work my fingers now.

p.s. authenitcally searching for answers to the things that ails us is exactly what doesn't set off my attitude problem. You are in tune with your body and trying to listen and respond. I respect that greatly.

VydorScope Proficient

Carb addition is why Atkins recomends you limit your self to 20 carbs per day for 2 weeks. Thats close to cold turkey yet you still get some (its a BAD idea to compleletly elminate any food group), then slowly working back up to what ever number works for you. This is great if you looking to loose wieght, if you merely just loking for control, I find that what works best for me is a mixure of what Tif posted...

First I buy less... cant eat it if you dont buy it, then I look for good subsitututes, third I drink alot more water (helps with the oral adition that goes with this), forth I stay away from the kitchen... food is easier to aviod when you do not see it all the time, and finaly keep busy. Prehaps instead of eat exercise, read or hang out with a freind. :) Esply if your eating out fo depresion exercise is a much better alternative, the nature chemicals released are better then anti-depressent meds, IMO. ;)

You of course will have to find your own magic method, but maybe that will help....

jnclelland Contributor

I've been doing the South Beach Diet (modified slightly to be gluten and dairy-free) for about 2 months, and I'm AMAZED at how much it has helped with my carb cravings. I'm a lifelong carb addict, and I thought I'd be going totally insane eating so few carbs, but in fact it's been just the opposite. My cravings are just GONE, and I'm even going from lunch to dinner without needing - or even wanting! - a snack for the first time in my entire life. I feel really, really good and healthy eating this way, and I'm even losing some weight while I'm at it.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now. :)

Jeanne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

It's a carb world, isn't it???? I know a endo doc who gives his patients metformin to reduce carb cravings.He also has his children on it......

I'm not sure what to think of this treatment! But I must admit he started to have his diabetic patients get tested for celiac and he said alot are now not eating wheat & gluten and he has been able to reduce their insulin intake.

mamaw

VydorScope Proficient
It's a carb world, isn't it???? I know a endo doc who gives his patients metformin to reduce carb cravings.He also has his children on it......

I'm not sure what to think of this treatment! But I must admit he started to have his diabetic patients get tested for celiac and he said alot are now not eating wheat & gluten and he has been able to reduce their insulin intake.

mamaw

A DRUG?????? Why is the answer always "take a pill" ?? BAH

rumbles Newbie

Keeping a bowl of cut (cubed) fruits, such as watermelon, honeydew and cantaloup in the fridge has definitely helped me break my carb addiction. It became easier and faster to grab a few cubes of fruit than to find the next gluten-free snack to attack.

Reading books like Dangerous Grains and The Paleo Diet made me realize that the sodas that I was addicted to were flavored corn syrup in a glass, - it was a real mind trip realizing every time that I picked up that soda bottle that I was about to suck down more corn syrup, - that definitely helped break that habit!

Best of luck! - It's worth the initial effort.

Guest cassidy

For me it is a texture thing. I like dry food. The only thing that seems to be dry is carbs. I don't like meat very much and I eat veggies and fruits, but sometimes I just want something dry and that is usually a carb.

I have done atkins when I thought carbs, not gluten, was my problem. When I felt it was for medical reasons I was able to stick to the diet but I didn't like it.

I don't know what your weight is like, but maybe that could be motivating. If you need to loose weight, then eating cake is definitely bad. If you give it up and start losing weight, maybe you won't want to eat it anymore. You could use it as a reward like if you work out 5 times in a week then you can have one piece of cake.

Also, I don't know if money is an issue, but that stuff is expensive. Sticking to naturally gluten-free foods will save you some money.

I think anyone who can give up gluten has strong will power. So, if you really decide you want to stop, you can. Maybe you aren't ready to give it up yet.

covsooze Enthusiast

Thank you all so much for all your help :) I don't need to lose weight - it's more a matter of feeling more healthy. I think I've got to get over coming off my antidepressants before I can make a successful go of it, but for now, I know what I have to do - ban DH from buying me gluten-free cakes!! He does it to cheer me up, but it's not doing me any favours in the long run! I also need to work out what I can eat instead, so thanks for all your ideas on that one.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

Hey Sooz,

This whole carb thing sucks! I know how you feel, I am an emotional eater too. Good job getting of the antidepressants...I'm working my way off as well, down from three to two now, and hoping to be drug-free by the end of the year! I know everyone says that exercise is a good substitute, and you just want to roll your eyes at that, but I've found that if I do make myself work out, I do feel better, and eating is much more satisfying afterward. It's tough though to make yourself get up and move when you're feeling down, and don't want to. I'm in the same boat, trying to get healthy and in shape. Yeah, what helps for me is keeping my "treats" in the freezer in small, portion-sized bags. And I am addicted to water! Weird, I know, but I keep a couple of bottles in my fridge and carry one with me around the house all day. That makes drinking more a lot easier, and it helps fight off that feeling of hunger. Another thing I enjoy is dried fruit and fruit leather, if you're looking to mix it up a bit. Good for snacks, and sweets too. Papaya and mango are especially good for digestion. Best of luck to you!!

Archived