This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Gone Raw?

Rusla

Rusla Enthusiast

When I first went Gluten-free I lost weight then, because of the high caloric values in much of our foods I gained weight not what I need. Now I have been reading the benefits of raw foods and yes this includes foods in a food dehydrator at a certain temperature. I am going to give this a shot. I am going to have my first "raw" class on Sunday, it is Mexican.

I was wondering if anyone here does raw food or plans to. I guess some do sprout their own wheat grains to do this but the woman I am taking it from only uses seeds and nuts. There are supposed to be other great benefits from going raw. She told me she has killed off most of her asthma going raw. She also believes she was Celiac and what she told me I believe she is also. She said since going raw she has no longer had the affects that many of us did before going Gluten-free. She only has a problem if she has things that are made with wheat.

I will inform everyone when I get home on Sunday. I could probably even post the recipes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

That sounds interesting, and may work for you. I won't be able to do that, as I really can't tolerate raw foods very well at all.

Guhlia Rising Star

Totally off topic...... Just wanted to say glad you're back! Haven't seen you around in a while.

Rusla Enthusiast

Thanks Angie, I have been rather sporadic at best and will be for awhile. I have to find a new place to live in this expensive city. I was working on some stories, books, other business things and other work related issues alone with psycho and creepy landlords.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Raw foods are supposed to be very cleansing, which is probably why those of us who are more toxic have a problem with them! I used to eat Fit for Life style, which involves food combining and a diet of 50% raw food. Also, they recommend one day per week all raw food. I couldn't get through the day in the beginning, but did later on. In the beginning if you have a problem with it, have some lightly steamed veggies for dinner and maybe some cooked potato or something else soothing, but don't throw in the towel completely. The longest I ever did it was for a week and I felt great at the end of the week.

The downside is, not enough protein.

Rusla Enthusiast

I will make sure I ask a protein question. I suppose dehydrated meat would be okay because chickend jerky done raw would be okay and it is protein.

ArtGirl Enthusiast

I tried the Ph Balance diet. The author advocates working up to eating 70% raw. I was never able to reach that level because of stomach pain (which is now somewhat resolved). BUT, I do contniue to eat a lot more raw vegetables than I did before trying this diet, and I like it. When I eat more raw vegetables I feel better. Maybe I'll give it a go again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast
I will make sure I ask a protein question. I suppose dehydrated meat would be okay because chickend jerky done raw would be okay and it is protein.

Most people into the raw foods, that I've read about anyway, seem to be vegetarian. They argue that even leafy greens have protein. There is truth to what they say, but I think that moderation is key in any diet. I think raw food is a good idea, but not for a permanent diet. I liked the 50% idea and once a week all raw. Be sure look carefully at her skin and complexion to see how she looks on the diet. You have to be your own judge. If you feel something is missing, eat it, you might need it (unless it's chocolate or coffee or some other vice). Don't feel you've failed if you do this. I take bits from everyone's drastic diets and piece together what works for me.

You are motivating me to get back to more raw food!

marciab Enthusiast

Mung bean sprouts and I think lentil sprouts are susposed to be a really good source of protein as well as all nuts. I had trouble with nuts and sprouts in the beginning, but not anymore. Go slow and reintroduce the ones that bother you at a later date.

I'm interested in the raw diet recipes you learn. I tried a raw dish at my local health food store. It was an Indian recipe. I tried eating it on a raw flax seed / tomato cracker. BLEH !!!

Good luck with this. Marcia :)

eKatherine Rookie

Jerky is usually heated unless you make it yourself, and I'm not sure I'd trust jerky that wasn't heated.

There are some raw food people who eat raw fish and meat, too, but they don't have anything to do with the current movement.

It's easy to get malnourished on a 100% raw food vegan diet. Raw beans and grains are just not digestible, and relying on them can cause health issues.

lindalee Enthusiast

Years ago when I sold organic makeup and vitamins and taught mini nutrition seminars, the experts told us it was best to eat 80% raw. Raw back then wasn't the raw today. We were thinking salads, fruits and veggies. Today it is different. Picked up the book RAW at the library yesterday. I want to try to make my own butters and see what else is in there that looks good. I am not sure how the raw relates to celiac and of course, everyones's system is different. Some people will be able to tolerate more than others and gradually build up. I do have a VitaMix and use it for juicing and soups. There is an art to making it taste good. The class sounds like it would be interesting. Hope to hear all about it. :)

[

RiceGuy Collaborator

I read recently that raw food is supposed to be easier to digest because it has more enzymes and stuff. I tend to find that the closer I can get to raw, the better I feel. However, as already pointed out, things like beans and grains don't seem to be good raw. I love peanuts and peanut butter, so protein isn't hard to find in the higher concentrations like that. While I do cook rice and other grains, I add veggies just before I eat, so they just get warmed up a bit. I don't actually 'cook' them. I like the full flavor and vitality. However, I also have to compromise for economic reasons, as well as time constraints, so I use frozen veggies.

Of course, nothing beats fresh raw fruit when you want a healthy raw food that also tastes like it was truly meant to be eaten that way.

I wouldn't trust uncooked meats either. I once saw someone poke a hole in a raw egg and literally suck it out of the shell YUK!! I heard every egg has some salmenila, but it's just that we can tolerate a certain amount without feeling sick from it. I felt ill just watching!

mythreesuns Contributor
I was wondering if anyone here does raw food or plans to.

I'm "sort of" doing this. Because I'm just not sure what's still making me feel crappy, I'm eating mostly fruits and veggies, with pasta and cooked meet occasionally. Oh, and some minimally processed breakfast cereal most mornings.

I'm not very religious about it, though. I'm mostly staying away from highly processed foods or foods with any artificial ingredients.

I do eat a lot of trail mix, though, so I guess I'm getting some protein from there. :D

gfp Enthusiast

Just get good quality meat (beef) or fish and eat it raw!

You shoudn't eat raw pork unless its cured longer than trychinacia can gestate.

I also don't see why you can't cheat and have seared tuna or seared beef with just the outside cooked.

I also second the Fit for Life (though the style rubs me up)

I wouldn't trust uncooked meats either. I once saw someone poke a hole in a raw egg and literally suck it out of the shell YUK!! I heard every egg has some salmenila, but it's just that we can tolerate a certain amount without feeling sick from it. I felt ill just watching!

Seriously its just cultural....

I eat raw meat and eggs all summer, its the safest bet in Paris from a gluten standpoint.

I was really really anti-raw anything .. seriously and the first time i ate sushi I gagged the whole time and the same with steak tartare (which has raw egg and beef)

Not long ago I was at a resto with friends (half anglophone and half francophone) and ordered beef carpaccio starter and steak tartare main course...

The Americans at the table next to me looked HORRIFIED as I tucked into the carpaccio.... and not knowing we spoke English started commenting and I joked about what they would say when I got my main course (In French).

As it happened they paid up early after making some very offensive comments about the French being like animals and dirty ..

Guess what... noone ever gets sick of fresh organic beef or eggs... either in France, Italy or Spain and indeed they live longer and have lower infant mortality. (As do the Japanese who eat a lot of raw fish)

I understand your UGGHGH factor .... but honestly its cultural and the fact the UK and US has a dominance of factory farms...

Organic is more common in France than non for meat and eggs (I have a choice of probably 10 types of eggs at the local minimart and probably 7 are organic free range and divided by breed of hen) and the three that are not are just "eggs"....

The same with Beef..nearly all beef is organic and has a certificate and you can trace it back to the individual cow and farm and the cows parents... Yes.. its more expensive than US beef.... but Im sure you can get decent beef in the US... I certainly had good beef just over the border in Southern Alberta where my friends father runs an organic farm.

Michi8 Contributor
I read recently that raw food is supposed to be easier to digest because it has more enzymes and stuff. I tend to find that the closer I can get to raw, the better I feel. However, as already pointed out, things like beans and grains don't seem to be good raw. I love peanuts and peanut butter, so protein isn't hard to find in the higher concentrations like that. While I do cook rice and other grains, I add veggies just before I eat, so they just get warmed up a bit. I don't actually 'cook' them. I like the full flavor and vitality. However, I also have to compromise for economic reasons, as well as time constraints, so I use frozen veggies.

Of course, nothing beats fresh raw fruit when you want a healthy raw food that also tastes like it was truly meant to be eaten that way.

I'm surprised to hear that raw would be easier to digest, I always thought it was the other way around. Regardless, raw would be the last thing I would try, given my allergies. I am unable to eat any raw tree fruit or tree nuts due to my allergies. Cooking, however, alters the proteins in these foods and makes them safe for me to eat.

Michelle

CarlaB Enthusiast
The Americans at the table next to me looked HORRIFIED as I tucked into the carpaccio.... and not knowing we spoke English started commenting and I joked about what they would say when I got my main course (In French).

This should be a lesson to us all. I got this when I was an exchange student in Mexico years ago. They'd talk about me thinking I didn't understand. When I was perfectly ready, I'd let them know I did.

Don't know if I could eat raw beef. Sushi -- I like.

eKatherine Rookie
I'm surprised to hear that raw would be easier to digest, I always thought it was the other way around. Regardless, raw would be the last thing I would try, given my allergies. I am unable to eat any raw tree fruit or tree nuts due to my allergies. Cooking, however, alters the proteins in these foods and makes them safe for me to eat.

Michelle

Raw animal products are easier to digest (I find fried eggs indigestible, but boiled ones are fine) than cooked. Cooked plant products are easier to digest than, as the human body, not being herbivorean, is not designed to digest cellulose, which can be broken down by cooking.

Rusla Enthusiast

Well for the record I never eat beef, rarely eat pork, chicken and seafood. I would never eat any of them raw. As for dehydrators ,I have one but the heat cannot be controlled on it and it takes so long to do jerky and fruit that some of it goes rancid, it is one of the old round ones. They have new dehydrators out that you can control the heat and time, I have been looking into those ones as they seem to be very good.

As I am a big fan of smooties, having fruit smoothies is my favorite. I often throw tofu into my smoothies so there is considerable protein in tofu.

lindalee Enthusiast
Well for the record I never eat beef, rarely eat pork, chicken and seafood. I would never eat any of them raw. As for dehydrators ,I have one but the heat cannot be controlled on it and it takes so long to do jerky and fruit that some of it goes rancid, it is one of the old round ones. They have new dehydrators out that you can control the heat and time, I have been looking into those ones as they seem to be very good.

As I am a big fan of smooties, having fruit smoothies is my favorite. I often throw tofu into my smoothies so there is considerable protein in tofu.

I had relatives in california who used to dry items in the sun. Tasted good and would like to know how they did it.

Not doing soy now. so need a substiute protein for my smoothies. Now I add some walnuts along with my flax oil and fiber. It is good.

Michi8 Contributor
Raw animal products are easier to digest (I find fried eggs indigestible, but boiled ones are fine) than cooked. Cooked plant products are easier to digest than, as the human body, not being herbivorean, is not designed to digest cellulose, which can be broken down by cooking.

Perhaps that's why sushi is so good. Yum! I like the egg sushi (tamago) too, but of course it's been cooked. :)

Michelle

gfp Enthusiast
This should be a lesson to us all. I got this when I was an exchange student in Mexico years ago. They'd talk about me thinking I didn't understand. When I was perfectly ready, I'd let them know I did.

Don't know if I could eat raw beef. Sushi -- I like.

Seriously up to a few years ago I thought Sushi was UGGGHGGG let alone raw beef.

Its just getting used to the idea.....

Like eKatherine says its easier to digest .. once you cook it it starts getting harder and less digestible and this is why its popular in continental Europe in summer... the thing is I was brought up to beleive it would kill me... then I see all these French people eating it and not dying....

hineini Enthusiast

I have strong feelings about this topic.

I believe raw food is HORRIBLE for most people with GI problems. Every doctor I've spoken to has said this, as have all the books I've read about eating for digestive problems.

Well, I didn't listen to them. (I have IBS). I went to a raw, vegan, gluten-free/dairy-free restaurant a few weeks ago and... Wow, I got SO sick. My friend, who doesn't have food allergies, got sick too. We both spent the afternoon in the bathroom.

If you read any books about IBS they say the worst thing you can do is eat uncooked fruits and veggies, or high levels of fat. The raw foods diet is full of both. This doesn't just go for IBS but many other forms of GI problems. In fact they even recommend only eating fruit that is cooked or has had the skin removed!

Anyway, I do know someone who follows a raw diet and feels great on it - But he has no health problems. Hey, if it makes you feel good - Go for it.

I can see how raw foods could be good (for people without digestive problems) to eat on a regular basis, but not exclusively. There are a number of foods whose nutrients are only released fully when they're cooked... which are nutritionally useless (other than fiber) when eaten uncooked.

Edited to add: I love Sushi, but prefer my sushi to have (cooked) rice in it, rather than just eating sashimi. I thinik I"m gonna take myself out for sushi tonight, in fact! Mmm... hamachi nigiri

ArtGirl Enthusiast

If eating raw hurts, don't.

For years I couldn't eat much raw foods (I don't eat raw meat) and would get terrible stomach pains for days after eating "too much" which would be more than a dinner salad. I guess there's been some healing since eliminating gluten and other food allergens, and now I can eat a lot more raw. Still, the ratio has never been over 50% raw. I seem to digest pureed raw vegetables best. And the benefit is that I get the vitamins and enzymes in the foods rather than having to take vitamins and enzyme supplements.

Rusla Enthusiast

I don't know if I could ever go totally raw but I have no problems with raw fruit or vegetables unless I eat too much. Smoothies don't bother me even if I drink them all day. Actually the woman I talked to told me it took her ten years to go totally raw and it usually isn't something most people can do right off the bat. I will give it a short. I figure as I am nine months gluten-free why not give it a shot.

Guest Mtndog

I just ate at a raw/vegan restaurant today and it was DELIGHTFUL!!!!!!!!!!! I think it would be a tough diet to follow as the "cooking" or lack thereof is pretty time comsuming, and it was EXPENSIVE. $50 for lunch for two. But I would definitely do it occasionally.

Here's the place I tried for some ideas:Open Original Shared Link

I had GLUTEN FREE FALAFEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And a cucumber lime "'soda". Yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived