Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

floridanative

Cbs News Story

I was just watching the CBS evening news and there was a teaser for a story coming on tomorrow night. The teaser went something like this: this whole family has a disease but none of them knew it until little Emily got sick. It's thought a million Americans have it but most of them don't know it yet (end of tease). Chills went down my spine and I usually have excellent instincts so I think the story may be about Celiac. I don't even watch the CBS news so it was a fluke that I had it on. I can't be home tomorrow to watch but I'm going to tape the whole show tomorrow night, just in case I'm right. I'll post back if I'm right or wrong.

Dx'd with anemia - March 2005

Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005

Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006

Gluten free since 1-23-06

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'll be watching too :unsure:

jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue

Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002

Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

I don't even watch the CBS news so it was a fluke that I had it on.

Flukes can happen for a reason...we just happened to be watching MSNBC when Keith Olberman *briefly* mentioned Celiac Disease and put up a website address. We had never heard of it and decided to look it up. Much to our suprise (and shock) it was as if we were reading about our son. We now had a name for what was wrong with him and, better yet, we now had a way to help him get better! :D

I'll be watching, too! How awesome would that be??

~Kristy~

Zachary (5 y/o son) -negative labs, no biopsy, gluten-free diet 3/06 with amazing results

*Enterolab testing: auto-immune response, main-Celiac gene/HLA-DQ 2, non-Celiac gluten sensitivity gene/HLA-DQ 3

"Congratulations!

Today is your day.

You're off to Great Places!

You're off and away!"

--Oh The Places You'll Go

by Dr. Seuss

Guest Kathy Ann

Isn't October Celiac Awareness Month? That could make it newsworthy right now.

I don't have outside tv so keep me posted please.

I guess I could be unlazy and go to their website and see if anything is on there after tomorrow.....but I still wanna know. :)

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

I'm setting the Tivo because I'll probably forget....

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Sounds like it's worth a look. Thanks for letting us know about it. Is is sapossed to be on the 5pm or 6pm news?

Myself-Age 25....I have had symptoms since at least 1998 if not since infancy (was diagnosed with malnutrition as a small child)...Positive results with gluten free diet!

Hannah-Age 5.....Has symptoms....Inconclusive blood tests....Positive diet response to both gluten free and lactose free!

Grace-Age 1.....Born at 29 weeks due to me having celiac....Has reflux and a feeding tube.

Husband-Not Celiac......has found that he does feel better when not eating allot of gluten.....is gluten free at home.

cbs evening news...national news usually comes on at 6:30 (after the 6:00pm local news) Some places it comes on at 7 (those who have full one hour 6:00 local news...but usually that is only in bigger markets)

Well my instincts didn't let me down. Dr. Green had one of his staffers post a listserv notice that CBS will do a story tonight about Celiac on the evening news. I doubt such a segment will be able to be compreshensive but at this point, any publicity is good publicity in my view.

Well my instincts didn't let me down. Dr. Green had one of his staffers post a listserv notice that CBS will do a story tonight about Celiac on the evening news. I doubt such a segment will be able to be compreshensive but at this point, any publicity is good publicity in my view.

Thank GOD Katie Couric is so in touch with her colon! I haven't watched the CBS evening news since she's been on (I don't generally watch the news dinner/kids time) but I'll make a point to try tonight!

Richard

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien

Diagnosed 3/8/05

Sister also Celiac

Risus remedium optimum est

Just to clarify - it is on tonight, correct?

god I don't get home till around then so I may leave a bit early!

My name is forgettable, so I invite you to remember this tale." (RG)

Diagnosed with celiac disease, by biopsy, 10/05

T1 diabetic since 2/80

So what time would it be on in Toronto? Don't want to miss it!

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

So what time would it be on in Toronto? Don't want to miss it!

Karen

6:30 EST for you too!

Richard

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien

Diagnosed 3/8/05

Sister also Celiac

Risus remedium optimum est

I was just watching the CBS evening news and there was a teaser for a story coming on tomorrow night. The teaser went something like this: this whole family has a disease but none of them knew it until little Emily got sick. It's thought a million Americans have it but most of them don't know it yet (end of tease). Chills went down my spine and I usually have excellent instincts so I think the story may be about Celiac. I don't even watch the CBS news so it was a fluke that I had it on. I can't be home tomorrow to watch but I'm going to tape the whole show tomorrow night, just in case I'm right. I'll post back if I'm right or wrong.

I am trying to find the "listserv" notice that 'floridanative' was referring to. Is it something that can be viewed?

Tom

CBS Evening News with Katie Couric will be featuring a segment on celiac disease with Dr. Peter Green tonight at 6:30 pm Eastern Standard Time. Tune in!

Above is just one of the listserv posts about the program tonight. Another group posted about it as well.

par18 - listserv is something you have to subscribe to. It was originally started at John Hopkins University. For tips about dining out most anywhere in the world, this is the site I use. It is an invaluable site for me and it's free.

CELIAC@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

How cool!!! I wonder how many new people will be finding this site over the next few days...

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

CBS Evening News with Katie Couric will be featuring a segment on celiac disease with Dr. Peter Green tonight at 6:30 pm Eastern Standard Time. Tune in!

Above is just one of the listserv posts about the program tonight. Another group posted about it as well.

par18 - listserv is something you have to subscribe to. It was originally started at John Hopkins University. For tips about dining out most anywhere in the world, this is the site I use. It is an invaluable site for me and it's free.

CELIAC@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Thanks for reply.

Tom

I'm gonna Tivo it...that's dinner time with the kiddies. How exciting!

~Kristy~

Zachary (5 y/o son) -negative labs, no biopsy, gluten-free diet 3/06 with amazing results

*Enterolab testing: auto-immune response, main-Celiac gene/HLA-DQ 2, non-Celiac gluten sensitivity gene/HLA-DQ 3

"Congratulations!

Today is your day.

You're off to Great Places!

You're off and away!"

--Oh The Places You'll Go

by Dr. Seuss