This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thanksgiving Blues

KrisT

KrisT Explorer

This is my first ever gluten-free holiday season. My husband, who happens to be a fabulous cook, and I are hosting the traditional Thanksgiving dinner so that we can carefully construct the meal. We are pretty sure we can figure out most of the meal, but we area little stumped on green bean casserole. How are we going to make a good creamy mushroom sauce?? I know this has been figured out by others who have traveled this road before me :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

It perplexes me why so many people think wheat flour should ever be used for gravies and sauces. Ask any good chef and they will likely say cornstarch or arrowroot. Ordinary flour is how you make gritty gravy with lumps.

Just mix a little cornstarch/arrowroot in some cold water. The ratio of water to starch can be varied depending on how much you need to stretch out whatever you are starting with, and how thick you want it to be. I typically use 1 part starch to 2 parts water, or something like that. Arrowroot thickens somewhat more, so you'll have to consider that too. Once you have your milky "slurry", add it slowly to your stock/broth, stirring continuously. I find it works well not to have the broth hot enough to be simmering. Not much will happen at first, which is good, because if the broth is too hot it will cook the starch before it gets mixed in, making lumps. Now turn up the heat a bit until it starts to simmer, but always keep stirring all the while. It will thinken to some degree depending on how much you used. If not enough, do again, and if it got too thick you can of course dilute it with broth or just water.

Hope this helps you.

jennyj Collaborator

It is my first too. Ener G sells a gluten free cream of mushroom soup. I just ordered some so I will let you know how it tastes.

Budew Rookie

Progresso makes creamy mushroom soup that tastes great. High fat content but no gluten, and vegetarian.

KrisT Explorer

Thanks mucho for all the suggestions! I also forgot to ask... has anyone looked to see if the canned fried onions are fried in batter or just onion? My husband and I were on opposing sides... I say they have a batter on them and he thinks they are just onion.

dionnek Enthusiast

The canned fried onions have wheat in them (says so on the ingr. list). This is my first holiday gluten-free also, so that is the first thing I checked! I was very depressed b/c I saw the Progresso mushroom soup, and like another poster said, it is very high fat (I always used Campbell's low fat version). So, instead of green bean casserole, I am going to make garlic roasted green beans. The only one who will miss it is my sister!

CarlaB Enthusiast

Honestly, I like the old fashioned green bean casserole, but I can live without it. The fried onions are what I like ... so I'll either make green beans with almonds, or have someone who's coming over bring the traditional casserole. I don't think the chances of contamination are high from a casserole ... not the same as a basket of bread anyway-- and I don't think anyone will realize there's not a basket of rolls.

Last year I used corn starch for the gravy, Ener-g bread for the stuffing (I don't normally like this bread, but I broke it up and let it get stale, and it was great for stuffing), and no one noticed a difference. The rice bread actually made better stuffing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

This will be my fourth gluten-free Thanksgiving (I went gluten-free shortly before Thanksgiving in '03 and that was my first one) and we've always done the whole meal gluten-free (and since '04 CF as well) and very low-fat (aside from half of the sauteed green beans). It's always been a huge success, everyone loves the food and everyone else who has the leftovers (or the same recipes I've cooked at other times) loves those too.

A little creativity and a small twist of tradition may be necessary, but that's just an opportunity to put your own touch on the meal and make it even better! :)

Rusla Enthusiast

I am sittin' here wonderin

over recipes I'm blunderin'

the turkey ain't to worried because,

I am lookin' for a stuffin.

I gotta find one gluten-free

along with my pumpkin pie,

no dairy whippped cream for me,

good old petroleum based topping it'll be.

I got the Thanksgiving blues

soon as I figure out the gluten-free booze.

What am I going to eat?

Thank goodness I don't have to wear gluten on my feet.

chrissy Collaborator

health valley makes a gluten free cream of mushroom soup with 5 grams of fat per serving----don't know how that compares to progresso as i have never been able to find progresso at a store. i use the health valley soup and thicken it a little with cornstarch when i want to use it in place of campbell's and it works great.

someone on here said that they made their own fried onions so that they could have a gluten free green bean casserole.

i made 3 gluten free apple pies 2 days ago (just in case you are wondering about pies!LOL!) they turned out wonderful. i was so excited to conquer one more gluten-free recipe that i thought might be difficult. we used bette hagman's pie crust made from the 4 flour blend.

mamatide Enthusiast
someone on here said that they made their own fried onions so that they could have a gluten free green bean casserole.

I'll bet if you dropped some raw onion into a deep fryer they'd crisp up pretty quickly. If not you could coat them in cornstarch and try it that way.

Good luck - I've never had a green bean casserole but have always wanted to try one! That and sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top - sounds so good! I guess it's not a Canadian tradition.

tarnalberry Community Regular
Good luck - I've never had a green bean casserole but have always wanted to try one! That and sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top - sounds so good! I guess it's not a Canadian tradition.

Growing up, my dad always made the sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top. I thought I HATED sweet potatoes, 'cause that stuff was awful. Turns out, it's just cooking it that way. Sweet potatoes are fabulous, but adding marshmallows? IMHO, YUCK! :P

jerseyangel Proficient
I am sittin' here wonderin

over recipes I'm blunderin'

the turkey ain't to worried because,

I am lookin' for a stuffin.

I gotta find one gluten-free

along with my pumpkin pie,

no dairy whippped cream for me,

good old petroleum based topping it'll be.

soon as I figure out the gluten-free booze.

What am I going to eat?

Thank goodness I don't have to wear gluten on my feet.

:D Love it!

Lauren M Explorer

Don't worry!

My first gluten-free Thanksgiving was a disaster - I had only been diagnosed for about a month. I made a biscuit recipe, subbing wheat flour for the grittiest, nastiest rice flour - ugh, they were gross. Also, I bought a pumpkin pie from a local gluten-free baker, and needless to say, that wasn't very good either. I've learned a lot in the 3 years since then!

I know a lot of people on this board are health nuts, so I may get rolly eyes for this, but last year I made a KILLER green bean casserole. I used fresh green beans, Progresso Cream of Mushroom soup, and Funyons (in the chip aisle - they're made by Frito-Lay and they're gluten-free) in place of the French's fried onions on top. YUM!

My other Thanksgiving favorites are naturally gluten-free (my Mom's cranberry jello mold, sweet potato casserole, and mashed potatoes), so I'm happy.

I love pecan pie - so I think my challenge this year will be either to find a gluten-free one I can order, or (gasp!) try to bake one myself. I'm inexperienced in the kitchen, so we'll see...

Good luck, you'll be fine!

- Lauren

KrisT Explorer
Don't worry!

My first gluten-free Thanksgiving was a disaster - I had only been diagnosed for about a month. I made a biscuit recipe, subbing wheat flour for the grittiest, nastiest rice flour - ugh, they were gross. Also, I bought a pumpkin pie from a local gluten-free baker, and needless to say, that wasn't very good either. I've learned a lot in the 3 years since then!

I know a lot of people on this board are health nuts, so I may get rolly eyes for this, but last year I made a KILLER green bean casserole. I used fresh green beans, Progresso Cream of Mushroom soup, and Funyons (in the chip aisle - they're made by Frito-Lay and they're gluten-free) in place of the French's fried onions on top. YUM!

My other Thanksgiving favorites are naturally gluten-free (my Mom's cranberry jello mold, sweet potato casserole, and mashed potatoes), so I'm happy.

I love pecan pie - so I think my challenge this year will be either to find a gluten-free one I can order, or (gasp!) try to bake one myself. I'm inexperienced in the kitchen, so we'll see...

- Lauren

Usually I eat 80-90% organic... but that green bean recipe sounds awesome!! I think that's what we'll do!!

Lauren M Explorer
Usually I eat 80-90% organic... but that green bean recipe sounds awesome!! I think that's what we'll do!!

Among my 20-something year old friends, I'm a health nut, but compared to some of the people on here... ehh not so much. Sweets are my weakness. But yes, this is only once a year, and plus, it does have the green beans - that's healthy enough right? ;)

The Funyons definitely are the key. Let me know how you like it!

- Lauren

KrisT Explorer

I told my husband about the Funyun idea and he loved it! We'll let you know how it goes.

My dad used to make a sweet potato casserole with cornflakes, pecans, and a brown sugar mix on top and it was WAY better than the marshmallow kind!! I think he mixed the cornflakes and nuts with just brown sugar and butter.

We have decided to do a little extra cooking when it comes to the stuffing. As much as I would like to have some, the entire family does not need to eat gluten-free stuffing until we learn how to make a good one. (no time to experiment this year) So my husband is going to cook the traditional bird with regular stuffing, and an extra boneless turkey for me. If at some point we determine that all of the kids are intolerant we will change that plan, but at this moment I am the only official GI in the family.

Pies... I've always enjoyed them, but never dared to try making one myself. I think I will have to change that now that I need gluten-free pie. I am having my neighbor make me a Key Lime (her Key Lime is awesome!) and I bought some of the Envirokids animal crackers to use as the crust. I was trying them out last week and thinking how much they reminded me of graham crackers.... probably would work well as a substitute crust too... I hope! In that order I'll be receiving my first package of Bette Hagman's original mix. I'm not sure what I'll try to make with it, but I am sure it will taste better than the Bob's Red Mill all purp stuff I've tried.

I feel much better about the holiday meal now, thank you all!!

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator
Don't worry!

- Lauren

Lauren,

I made my green bean casserole the same way! I liked how the Funyuns came out and the really were yummy- LOL

I am counting down the days to my deep fried turkey, smoked gouda mashey taters and pumpkin cheesecake.

In your honor, I might whip up a gluten-free pecan pie as well :)

Daxin Explorer

I just saw yesterday on the Wild Oats website that they have a recipe for gluten free corn bread turkey stuffing. It was a little too late for me (as we had thanksgiving already here in Canada) but maybe you could try it and let us know how it turns out. Aside from that, I have to agree with eveyone else. Cornstartch for the gravy etc.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Green12 Enthusiast
I just saw yesterday on the Wild Oats website that they have a recipe for gluten free corn bread turkey stuffing. It was a little too late for me (as we had thanksgiving already here in Canada) but maybe you could try it and let us know how it turns out. Aside from that, I have to agree with eveyone else. Cornstartch for the gravy etc.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Hi Ryan!

That is what I always make for Thanksgiving, corn bread stuffing/dressing. I don't usually stuff the turkey so I make it in a casarole dish as a side dressing.

I just take a traditional corn bread recipe and substitute out the flour, it seems to me corn bread is very forgiving so I have done all kinds of flour substitutions from corn flour and rice flour blend, to plain rice flour, etc.

I make it a couple days ahead of time and when it is cool cut it into bite size cubes and let it set out on a cookie sheet to dry out a little bit.

Then I just use it in a corn bread stuffing recipe, sauteed onions and celery in butter and the spices like sage (fresh or dried) mix it in to the corn bread to coat and then add chicken broth and bake.

Very good, but I am a fan of corn bread :)

KrisT Explorer
Hi Ryan!

That is what I always make for Thanksgiving, corn bread stuffing/dressing. I don't usually stuff the turkey so I make it in a casarole dish as a side dressing.

I just take a traditional corn bread recipe and substitute out the flour, it seems to me corn bread is very forgiving so I have done all kinds of flour substitutions from corn flour and rice flour blend, to plain rice flour, etc.

I make it a couple days ahead of time and when it is cool cut it into bite size cubes and let it set out on a cookie sheet to dry out a little bit.

Then I just use it in a corn bread stuffing recipe, sauteed onions and celery in butter and the spices like sage (fresh or dried) mix it in to the corn bread to coat and then add chicken broth and bake.

Very good, but I am a fan of corn bread :)

All of the cornbreads I have seen are made with wheat flour. PLEASE enlighten me because I love cornbread and this could make the meal easier on us!

clbevilacqua Explorer

Robyn Ryberg has an excellent cornbread recipe in her book "The Gluten Free Kitchen" (there are 2-it is the first one). It has a taste and texture similar to a Jiffy mix (pre-gluten-free was one of my kids all time favs). It bakes up great and makes fab cornbread croutons for stuffing. If you don't have the book-let me know and I will get you the recipe!

Archived