Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goofy01girl

Why Did Cutting Out Gluten Is Making It Hard For Me To Sleep?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't know, but it's happening to me too. What brand melatonin do you use. I have some that I would love to use, but I got it before i was diagnosed and I havent tried using it because I don't know if it's safe.

Aimee D.

• 32 yrs old

[*]Type 1 diabetes since 1980

[*]Insulin pump user since 2000

[*]celiac diagnosed 10/06

[*]2 boys 12, and 2

[*]1miscarrage, 3 kidney stones, 8 root canals and 1 tooth extraction...

[*]5/06 pos blood test

[*]10/06 pos endosopic exam results

I have more energy, but am still kind of "tired" during the day. I've definitely been staying up way later than I did before going gluten free (day 10).

I've had to WAY cut back my caffiene intake. I used to drink a lot of soda with caffiene to get that kick to keep me awake during the day. I'm giving up soda now too...not for gluten free, but because of the caffiene....now that my body is naturally awake, the caffiene is causing me to be "wired".

It may also have to do with "brain fog" lifting, you're thinking more clearly. I know I am! Not at full potential yet, but getting there. I think that's why I'm stayin gup later, I'm thinking clearer and able to get things done, etc.

Also, how late do you work out? That can have an enegizing effect. "They" say don't exercise less than 4 hours before your bed time because it will disrupt sleep patterns. That the best time to exercise is first thing in the morning because exercise gives you a burst of energy.

Can you try a new routine? Shower, drink a cup of tea and read a book before bed, or something like that?

There could be many many reasons causing your lack of sleep lately.

1. Celiac lifts the haze, typically called brain fog, and allows you to think much more clearly. Now that you're thinking more clearly you may find it harder to stop those thoughts at bedtime.

2. You may be starting to absorb more nutrients if intestinal damage is healing already. This could cause you to need less sleep than you're accustomed to.

3. Are you taking naps during the day? If so, try cutting naps out altogether. You likely don't need them anymore.

4. After going gluten free you may have noticed an increase in energy. Have you upped your exercise level to accomodate this newfound energy? You may just not be active enough during the day.

5. Are you drinking or eating caffeine (chocolate, soda, caffeneited teas and coffees)? If so, you may have to cut back your amounts. Now that you're absorbing more from your food, caffeine and alcohol will likely effect you quicker. Try not to have any caffeine after 5pm.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Natrol brand comes in a purple bottle which says specifically that it contains no:

yeast, wheat, corn, milk, egg, soy, glutens, artifical colors or flavors, added sugar, starch or preservatives

Courtney - 25

Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006

Casein-free since October 16, 2006

Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.

Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006

Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993

Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06

Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

I don't know if you've already done this, make sure to replace the gluten-filled things with gluten-free whole grains. Another thing that research shows helps sleep patterns is B12. I've found this to be true.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

I had the same problem for a few months early on -- went along with a shorter temper and more anxiety -- I've kind of attributed it to the "gluten withdrawal" and "healing crisis" type theories. What helped me finally was getting acupuncture -- which seems to have helped my body calm down a lot.

Erica

Inconclusive blood test results

Positive Enterolab results

Positive dietary results

gluten-free since 2/10/06

I did the paleo diet last summer and I didn't sleep good at all. I think its just the reduction in carbs. When I do have a high carb meal like spaghetti sauce on tinkyada spaghetti noodles and have a big o'plate full, I'll sleep for 8 to 9 hrs. So I'll do that if I haven't been sleeping good for awhile. I usually get about 6 to 7 hrs. and about once or twice aweek I'll only get 5. I don't really suffer to much during the day though, its like I just don't need alot of sleep and have more energy when I'm low carbing. My mind is also more sharp. I'll feel like I'm alittle drunk when I have that spaghetti meal. :P So go figure.

Gail

Gluten Free since Jan. 06

Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602

Lactose intolerant.

I don't know, but it's happening to me too. What brand melatonin do you use. I have some that I would love to use, but I got it before i was diagnosed and I havent tried using it because I don't know if it's safe.

It

Wow, this is so weird how cutting out gluten can effects us. Everything that everyone has wrote is me to a tee. I have so much more energy I feel like a kid again. My mind is so much sharper. I love my tea and chocolate. I only drink tea at lunch but I didn

Since i have been gluten free i have noticed i am tired come bedtime but can only sleep for the max of 4-5 hrs then i am wide awake and cant get back to sleep....i have cut of cafeine after 5pm and i am not a pill pusher so sleep aids is not a option for me.....hyper and full of energy all day long even on very little sleep.....the meds that i am presently taking do make u sleepy but for me it seems to do the opposite.....Why????