Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JerryK

My First Foray Into The Health Food Store

So there is a speciality store down the block from work. I took advantage of a little slack time to

go in search of some gluten-free bread.

I found the same sad, tired gluten,dairy,wheat free loaves that were at our major supermarket. Quite disappointing actually.

I finally decided to buy a Gluten Free (but not dairy or yeast free) "Raisin Loaf" and some gluten-free chocolate chip cookies.

The chocolate chip cookies tasted slightly odd, but good. After the third one, I decided they were great...they passed the Jerry test.

The "bread" however is another matter. I tried a slice and it was similar to biting into a piece of styrofoam....making a really odd sound as I chewed. I've never experienced bread before that actually made a sound when you broke a piece off of it.

My first reaction was :blink::blink: to want to spit it out, I was that impressed. I'll take it home and try it toasted with lots of butter, but we'll see. I suppose you could slap enough mayo on anything and make it taste good, but what's the point in that?

Dental Enamel Defects

Gastro symptoms

Positive Dietary Response

Enterolab Antigliadin IgA positive 12/06

Transglutaminase IgA Positive

Blood TG IgA Negative 2/07

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 7,5)

Gluten Intolerant...Likely non Celiac

Western Oregon (Or-ee-gun) US

Why Worry?...YOU are a sentient being on a habitable world in a cosmos largely filled with nothing.

You

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

:lol: You have the right idea--toast it and use lots of butter! Not many gluten-free breads can get away with being eaten straight up.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Well, Larry, maybe you weren't meant to like or eat the bread, as it contains dairy! If it's that bad, just toss it, and don't buy it again (which you shouldn't anyway).

But I understand, I've done the same sort of thing and paid for it. It's dumb, though, and not worth it. :(

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congrats on surviving your first health food store visit!

The gluten-free bread MUST be toasted. It's the ONLY way to eat it!!! The longer it's been since you've had real bread, the better it becomes.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Well, Larry

Larry? :blink:

Dental Enamel Defects

Gastro symptoms

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 7,5)

Why Worry?...YOU are a sentient being on a habitable world in a cosmos largely filled with nothing.

You

The gluten-free bread MUST be toasted. It's the ONLY way to eat it!!! The longer it's been since you've had real bread, the better it becomes.

True that!

Tonight, my husband had a dinner meeting, so I made myself a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich. Mind you, I'm both gluten and dairy free, and hadn't had one of these in a long time.

I used my GFP bread, Galaxy Rice American 'Cheese' and bacon--and it's true, it's been so long since I've had the real thing, that this was delicious!

Kind of exciting and sad at the same time :unsure:

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Did you get your bread out of the freezer? Most gluten-free breads are frozen.

No it was on the bread isle next to the "Tapioca Loaves" which is a whole new line of discussion;)

I didn't know to look in the frozen foods...

Dental Enamel Defects

Gastro symptoms

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 7,5)

You

No it was on the bread isle next to the "Tapioca Loaves" which is a whole new line of discussion;)

I didn't know to look in the frozen foods...

Yeah, the "good" stuff is in the freezer, the stuff in the aisle is used for surfing.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Larry? :blink:

Oops, brain freeze or something. :ph34r::rolleyes::unsure: . I've got bronchitis and are really ill, I hope you can forgive me! :lol:

Maybe I was so dazzled by looking at that new picture of you, that I didn't know momentarily what I was doing. :wacko:

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah... some health food stores have ... all the bad stuff. blerg!

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Oops, brain freeze or something. :ph34r::rolleyes::unsure: . I've got bronchitis and are really ill, I hope you can forgive me! :lol:

Maybe I was so dazzled by looking at that new picture of you, that I didn't know momentarily what I was doing. :wacko:

Funny, I've mentioned to you guys that I had to have all my teeth reconstructed with crowns due to enamel defects right? I paid over 20K to have it done, and darn it, I was going to have those darn things WHITE. You get to select the color, just like going to the paint store:) After it was done, I went golfing with a buddy, from across the fairway he yells, HEY I CAN SEE YOUR TEETH FROM CLEAR OVER HERE! ;) Maybe a bit too dazzling eh.

Hope you feel better.

Had some of the gluten-free bread toasted with butter slopped thickly on. It was ok, very passable.

j

Dental Enamel Defects

Gastro symptoms

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 7,5)

You

Yeah, the "good" stuff is in the freezer, the stuff in the aisle is used for surfing.

Or if you are Canadian, for hockey pucks..... ;)

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

:blink: You guys are scaring me. I have a loaf of Gluton free Cinnimon Raison Bread at home..... I have not tried it yet.

Its better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not.

Hi Jerry,

Below are the two Wholefoods Stores in Oregon. Wholefoods has it's own line of Gluten Free bread plus carry other brands.

Portland

1210 NW Couch Street

Portland, OR 97209

503.525.2021 fax

Store hours: 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week.

Tigard (Bridgeport)

7380 SW Bridgeport Road

Tigard, OR 97224

Store hours: 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week.

Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

Hi Jerry,

Below are the two Wholefoods Stores in Oregon. Wholefoods has it's own line of Gluten Free bread plus carry other brands.

Cool thanks!!!!

Dental Enamel Defects

Gastro symptoms

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 7,5)

You

Jerry,

Stop by the customer service desk before you start shopping at WholeFoods. They have a very long list of the gluten free products in the store.

Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

Jerry,

Stop by the customer service desk before you start shopping at WholeFoods. They have a very long list of the gluten free products in the store.

Tigard is actually within driving distance of me....I'll give em a try.

Dental Enamel Defects

Gastro symptoms

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 7,5)

You

I have to agree--some of those health food things can be scary! I did try some soy yogurt the other day and it wasn't all that bad...

Also, have tried Deby's gluten free pizza crust--it's available online at www.debysglutenfree.com It was pretty good.

Am trying one of Pamela's chocolate cake mixes today (add eggs, water and oil). Looks like chocolate cake. Smells like chocolate cake. Tastes like chocolate cake. Even has the consistency of chocolate cake--it's actually delicious!

Dx'd with lymphocytic colitis 1/07

Dx'd by Enterolab 3/07--+IgA, +Ttg, DQ2 and DQ8

Dx'd celiac by Dr. Lewey 4/07--without +blood or biopsy

gluten-free 3/7/07

I love Pamela's chocolate cake mix! I think I like it too much :P . I make it for every birthday and everyone loves it. They are all surprised that it is gluten free. I tried a different cake mix recently and it was not as good. The kids still ate it, but they will eat anything that looks like cake ;)

Jerry,

I too live in Oregon, and there are many health food store options. I have been to three. I mentioned in one of your other posts that Wild Oats was a pretty good place to shop, they have a wide selection of gluten-free products. There's also Natures, New Seasons, Trader Joe's, and I've herd about this place in Lake Oswego called Carb Nation, or something similar. I guess they have lots of gluten-free foods--they even make their very own gluten-free pizzas right in the store!!! I'm definitely going to check it out. I guess they're located right by Wild Oats and Natures. It's practically a gluten-free strip mall. :D

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

JennyC you guys are lucky--I have to go all over Timbuktu to find gluten free things. We have Wild Oats, but not very close by, and there's a gluten free bakery, but it's a good 1/2 hour away. There's Vitamin Cottage, but in a different direction than the other two...I shouldn't complain, at least I have options! It's a good time to be gluten free--there are lots of resources out there. Think I may look at some of Bette Hagman's cookbooks tomorrow.

Dx'd with lymphocytic colitis 1/07

Dx'd by Enterolab 3/07--+IgA, +Ttg, DQ2 and DQ8

Dx'd celiac by Dr. Lewey 4/07--without +blood or biopsy

gluten-free 3/7/07

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Bob Loblaw
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics