Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

newceliac

Peanut Butter

I bought organic, gluten-free peanut butter at Whole Foods. It states on the label to refrigerate after opening. I have never refrigerated peanut butter before.

It is rock hard and not easy to use after it has been in the refrigerator.

Would it be OK not to refrigerate?

I have to say I have never seen a Peanut Butter jar that says fridge after opening either, but I would follow the instructions. Just in case. The way I see it, why run the risk of getting sick or ruining a a jar of PB.

Coming from Peanut Country....... Peanut Oil does not have a long shelf life and it will go rancid fairly quickly. If you bought organic peanut butter, it may not have any preservatives in it and, thus, it is recommended that it be refrigerated.

I always refrigerate my opened jars of peanut butter.

Coming from Peanut Country....... Peanut Oil does not have a long shelf life and it will go rancid fairly quickly. If you bought organic peanut butter, it may not have any preservatives in it and, thus, it is recommended that it be refrigerated.

I always refrigerate my opened jars of peanut butter.

Good to know Thanks Momma Goose!

All natural peanut butters (and nut butters) are in the fridge... Stuff with hydrogenated what-nots have shelf life.

Dear newceliac,

This is a problem many people have. Stirring it up well helps. However, after a while, it does get hard. I have a Magic Bullet, and it helps fix that issue. Heating it helps as well. Someone else suggested I store it upside down in the fridge so the oil goes to the bottom and it is easier to stir up. Although it is not organic, Jif is gluten-free.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl