This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Corn And Rice

lilypad23

lilypad23 Explorer

I think I might be allergic to corn and rice because I am starting to have problems every time I eat them. With corn, I have to go straight to the restroom and I get really bad joint pain. With rice, I just get really bloated, which is pretty annoying. Does anyone else have this problem? Also, does anyone know of a multivitamin that has no gluten, soy, dairy, or corn? Thank you very much.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

www.kirkmanlabs.com

All of our ingredients are casein free, gluten free, and sugar free. Unless otherwise noted, they are also free of soy, corn and starch.

codetalker Contributor
www.kirkmanlabs.com

All of our ingredients are casein free, gluten free, and sugar free. Unless otherwise noted, they are also free of soy, corn and starch.

I can second this. I use their products and am very satisfied.

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast

I third it :D We use the vitamins and calcium supplements.

Corn is hard on me to in its solid form of a corn product, if its processed it doesnt bother me. Are you constipated from rice, could that contribute to your bloating?

Yellow Rose Explorer

I have swelling, redness, stiffness, and joint pain if I get any corn or rice. Corn syrup is in everything. My processed food days are over and I am only eating from scratch. It's hard but I am getting used to it. I thought gluten free was hard but gluten, corn, and rice free is a real pain.

Yellow Rose

lilypad23 Explorer

Thankyou so much for the advice on vitamins. I will definitely be trying those. :)

Gffamily, I haven't been constipated in well, a few months. Its pretty much the big D. But, whenever I eat rice, my stomach swells up like a bowling ball along with that. Its not as bad as my reactions other things, such as sodas or gluten, but it is really annoying.

Yellow Rose, lately I've had to eat from scratch too. Its hard because I'm in school and I work, so I don't have that much time to cook. I've mostly been eating fruit, veggies, and chicken. I'm feeling a lot better but sometimes when I eat too much fruit, my stomach hurts. It is pretty annoying.

Also, I've been wondering about medicines and stuff. I take Ativan for anxiety. Would a pharmacist know if it has corn in it or is there some website that lists stuff like that? Also, I've been reading that iodized salt has corn in it. I really love salt. Does all iodized salt have it in it or just the ones that have dextrose listed as an ingredient? Besides that, how do you get iodine if you don't eat salt? Thanks again.

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast

Caraline-

Regarding salt you can buy sea salt that has no iodine added but it still has some naturally. With the corn allergy issues I would go to delphi forums, and do a search for the "avoiding corn" area. They have a list that will help you to figure out more if its a corn allergy and what to avoid.

Open Original Shared Link

:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

I have never seen salt with dextrose listed as an ingredient. Dextrose is another name for glucose, a simple sugar which is the fuel our brains and other cells run on.

Table salt that I have seen is composed of sodium chloride (NaCl) with minute amounts of sodium iodide (NaI). Nothing else. No sugar added. No corn. The iodine is from the sodium iodide (NaI) which is present in the product. Although iodine is a required nutrient to prevent goiter (a disease of the thyroid), only a minuscule amount is required. The FDA recommends 150 micrograms (0.00015 grams) per day.

• 4 weeks later...
Tammy C Newbie
I think I might be allergic to corn and rice because I am starting to have problems every time I eat them. With corn, I have to go straight to the restroom and I get really bad joint pain. With rice, I just get really bloated, which is pretty annoying. Does anyone else have this problem? Also, does anyone know of a multivitamin that has no gluten, soy, dairy, or corn? Thank you very much.

:D I'm glad I saw your post, I thought I was going insane and didn't think it was possible that rice could cause my bloating. I noticed about 6 months ago after I'd eat plain white rice I'd start to get heartburn. Then terrible bloating. It isn't painful so much, maybe a little uncomfortable because my stomach swells up like I'm 6-7 months pregnant. Oh boy. I haven't found a doctor yet that understands Celiac.

kabowman Explorer

I switched to sea salt to avoid the anti-caking agent which is corn derived that is in most salt. I use regular salt when I go out but when at home, I use the good stuff without corn derived stuff.

I am going to check out those vitamins too...I haven't found one locally that I could use!!!

For all the cooking from scratch, it does take time but it is soooo much better tasting and better for the family. We do a lot of our meat cooking and make large pots of soup and stew on the weekend (when we are not at a fencing tournament or a swim meet the kids are competing in) and freeze into portions we can reheat during the week. Then we just need to fix sides (did I mention that we are at swimming and/or fencing practice 4 weeknights, soon to be 5 weeknights plus Saturday mornings when they aren't competing).

Life is fun!!!! :P

lilypad23 Explorer

PS, the salt I have has dextrose as an ingredient, unfortunately. But, it doesn't matter that much anyways, because I've given up salt completely. Every time I use it, even sea salt, it seems to stimulate my appetite too much.

Thank you for the link, Gff. I appreciate it.

Tammy, I totally know what you mean about the bloating. I'm not exactly thin, but whenever I eat rice, my stomach just goes all the way out. I'm hoping that maybe one day I'll be able to eat rice again because its actually pretty tasty.

It sounds like you have a pretty busy life Kb, lol.

Archived