Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cyberprof

How Do I Find A Gluten-free Turkey?

I heard that some turkeys have injected gluten. How do I find a good one to buy?

I have a QFC, PCC, Whole Foods and Fred Meyer to choose from. Ideas?

~Laura

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Lisa posted this recently, from a great site http://www.celiaccentral.org/Newsletter/No...er_2007/477/#s6

LIFESTYLE

Thanksgiving Products You Can Use

By Rachel Kay

NFCA Research Assistant

Turkey

Note: Most fresh and frozen turkey's are gluten free. Be VERY cautious with "self-basting" turkeys and do not use the included gravy packet that may come with a turkey.

Butterball

Join eNewsletter

Assuming you are in the U.S. you don't have to worry. Any turkey, including self-basting ones, MUST by USDA law list any grain. All you have to do is read the ingredients.

I have yet to find a turkey that has gluten, unless it's stuffed.

Join eNewsletter

Honeysuckle White is gluten-free. You can go to their website and it will list the gluten-free status of any of their products.

-Jessica

Jessica

Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!

Kansas

Join eNewsletter

Yes, Richard is right--any turkey would have to list if there were any grains added.

I get a Butterball fresh turkey. Nothing added, and juicier than frozen. I order one about 2-3 weeks in advance from my grocery store, and pick it up the day before Thanksgiving. Nothing to thaw or store, either :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

Thanks everyone! I'm going to order a fresh one tomorrow.

~Laura

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter