Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

imhungry

Gluten And Dairy Free

I am having a hard time with the dairy free portion of my diet. I am experimenting with soy milk but I tell you it's rough. Anyone have some recommendations for me, i.e. websites, products or books that would help me?

Proud Mom of now 3 - one of which is dairy intolerant, and a hubby who is dairy intolerant.

Coconut, pseudoephedrine, lidocaine with epinephrine, sulfa and penicillin allergies for several years

Gluten, dairy and wheat intolerant since July 2007, soy intolerant since October 2008.

Be kind, for everyone you speak to is fighting their own battles.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

what is it that you're having trouble with? a number of us on here are gluten and dairy free, and we probably all do it a bit differently. most dairy things, I simply have dropped, and not substituted. I do occasionally use soy, almond, or hemp milk, but while I find them perfectly fine in other things (chocolate milk, green tea lattes, cereal, muffins, pancakes, soups, breads, etc.), I don't like any of them straight up).

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Go to Gluten free mama site. She is from Washington state & has a nice cookbook that is glutenfree & dairy free. She also has a almond flour blend..........

mamaw

Soy milk is YUCKY! Try Rice Milk (but some avoid Blue Diamond because of trace amounts of gluten). Or try almond milk, but if you can't tolerate soy, then you may have problems if it contains soy lecitin. I tried hazelnut milk, but I think rice milk is better.

In baking, you can try substituting coconut milk. Coconut oil can take the place of butter, margarine or shortening in some recipes.

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy. I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." - Art Williams

Currently gluten-, casein-, soy- and nightshade-free.

I'm still learning my way around dairy free so I hear ya! CF is alot harder for me than gluten-free from both a practical and emotional standpoint. I second Earthbalance. I used it successfully in baking way before gluten-free and CF. I also keep Spectrum shortening on hand and ghee that is labeled casein free. I use Vance's Darifree too.

Has anyone frozen soymilk? or used it in white sauces and soup? I can't seem to use up a carton fast enough.

Tofu crumbled into small pieces works well in place of ricotta cheese in a lasagne. It absorbs the flavor of the ingredients around it.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

This is a very narrowly focused reply, but here's one things that's really helping me get through this - Jello Instant Chocolate Pudding made w/half water, half coconut milk! Sometimes I just need something creamy, and that really hits the spot. :D

(It mixes up a little better if you whisk the mix with the water first, then add the coconut milk.)

It is really hard at first, but you really do get used to it after a while. We don't substitute much either, b/c it gets too expensive. For milk, I like Hemp milk, the vanilla and chocolate are pretty tasty.

Hunts lemon pudding cups are casein free (only the lemon though) if you need a creamy sweet treat. Kinnikinnick, Enjoy Life, and Namaste products are all casein free as well.

Tamara, mom to 4 gluten & casein free kiddos!

Age 11 - Psoriasis

Age 8- dx'd Celiac March 2005

Age 6- gluten-free/cf, allergy related seizures

Age 4 - reflux, resolved with gluten-free/cf

My daughter drinks Rice Milk. Just not the Rice Dream. She has been glutened by it.

We use Rice Cheese. Be sure to get the vegan kind. They do make some with casein in it. Not sure why. It works well on pizza, nachos and sandwiches. We also use Parma (a nut cheese) for topping pasta and nutritional yeast for a nutty flavor.

I never thought I'd be able to give up dairy since I love it so much, but after I did, I felt so much better I make sure never to have so much as a speck of it.