This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten And Dairy Free

imhungry

imhungry Rookie

I am having a hard time with the dairy free portion of my diet. I am experimenting with soy milk but I tell you it's rough. Anyone have some recommendations for me, i.e. websites, products or books that would help me?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

what is it that you're having trouble with? a number of us on here are gluten and dairy free, and we probably all do it a bit differently. most dairy things, I simply have dropped, and not substituted. I do occasionally use soy, almond, or hemp milk, but while I find them perfectly fine in other things (chocolate milk, green tea lattes, cereal, muffins, pancakes, soups, breads, etc.), I don't like any of them straight up).

mamaw Community Regular

Go to Gluten free mama site. She is from Washington state & has a nice cookbook that is glutenfree & dairy free. She also has a almond flour blend..........

mamaw

Offthegrid Explorer

Soy milk is YUCKY! Try Rice Milk (but some avoid Blue Diamond because of trace amounts of gluten). Or try almond milk, but if you can't tolerate soy, then you may have problems if it contains soy lecitin. I tried hazelnut milk, but I think rice milk is better.

In baking, you can try substituting coconut milk. Coconut oil can take the place of butter, margarine or shortening in some recipes.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I love Earth Balance products and only cook with soy milk- never drink it!

missy'smom Collaborator

I'm still learning my way around dairy free so I hear ya! CF is alot harder for me than gluten-free from both a practical and emotional standpoint. I second Earthbalance. I used it successfully in baking way before gluten-free and CF. I also keep Spectrum shortening on hand and ghee that is labeled casein free. I use Vance's Darifree too.

Has anyone frozen soymilk? or used it in white sauces and soup? I can't seem to use up a carton fast enough.

Tofu crumbled into small pieces works well in place of ricotta cheese in a lasagne. It absorbs the flavor of the ingredients around it.

MNBeth Explorer

This is a very narrowly focused reply, but here's one things that's really helping me get through this - Jello Instant Chocolate Pudding made w/half water, half coconut milk! Sometimes I just need something creamy, and that really hits the spot. :D

(It mixes up a little better if you whisk the mix with the water first, then add the coconut milk.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

It is really hard at first, but you really do get used to it after a while. We don't substitute much either, b/c it gets too expensive. For milk, I like Hemp milk, the vanilla and chocolate are pretty tasty.

Hunts lemon pudding cups are casein free (only the lemon though) if you need a creamy sweet treat. Kinnikinnick, Enjoy Life, and Namaste products are all casein free as well.

Juliebove Rising Star

My daughter drinks Rice Milk. Just not the Rice Dream. She has been glutened by it.

We use Rice Cheese. Be sure to get the vegan kind. They do make some with casein in it. Not sure why. It works well on pizza, nachos and sandwiches. We also use Parma (a nut cheese) for topping pasta and nutritional yeast for a nutty flavor.

I never thought I'd be able to give up dairy since I love it so much, but after I did, I felt so much better I make sure never to have so much as a speck of it.

Archived