• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

psawyer

Gravy For Turkey

Rate this topic

Okay, it is a rare occasion--I'm starting a topic. :rolleyes:

Roast turkey with stuffing and gravy is a Christmas tradition in my family. We're playing host this year to my parents, my brothers, and their wives. (None of us have children.)

We have the stuffing worked out--no worries there.

We've always had trouble making a decent gluten-free turkey gravy. The consistency just does not come out right. If anyone has a recipe that they can share, or knows of a store-bought mix that is gluten-free, we would be grateful for it.

Thanks in advance.

If all else fails, maybe you could try a reduction. I never had a turkey sauce, but from what I am imagining it sounds good. Has anyone tried that?

Do you think your family would mind a more watery sauce, if it's full of flavor?

If all else fails, maybe you could try a reduction. I never had a turkey sauce, but from what I am imagining it sounds good. Has anyone tried that?

Do you think your family would mind a more watery sauce, if it's full of flavor?

I do a reduction with my turkey. It IS full of flavor, but slightly unpredictable.....hence my reluctance to recommend it.......

but, here's what I do.

Take the pan with the drippings in it. Remove any solids - they will burn.

Pour some gluten-free chicken broth in, and put the pan on high heat. Also, add a bit of water, and some white wine. Boil. Add some butter. Reduce. Add salt and pepper.

Then, if you want to thicken it a little, you can add some corn starch - already dissolved in water.

Pour into one of those gravy separators - what are they called? Where you can drain out the oil and keep the juice.

Um, that's the best I can do, Peter!!!!!!!!!!

some years, it's way better than others........but there's no telling why. :blink:

Good luck Peter!

Merry Christmas.

:)

I take the juice from the turkey, add a cornstarch/water mixture, and that's it. It always turns out great. :)

I use 2 parts cornstarch - 1 part gluten-free flour blend (not a bean one). Mix with water or broth and add in. Heat on Medium stirring frequently and then constantly once it starts to thicken until it comes up to a boil. Salt and pepper to taste. At Thanksgiving when we had 20 people and needed more gravy, we added chicken broth because there wasn't enough turkey juice/broth.

I make a roux with the pan drippings, butter and a flour substitute.

I used to use rice flour until I got a little tip from Patti last year about using potato starch (thanks Patti, best gravy I've ever made :D )

Ratio of butter to flour substitute is 1 to 1, I usually do about 6-8 tbsp of each.

Stir or whisk the flour/potato starch in with the buter and pan drippings over low-medium heat until the butter melts and the flour incorporates making a sort of paste, then stir in chicken broth slowly and a little at a time until it reaches the desired gravy consistency (usually about 4-6 cups of stock). Season with salt and pepper to taste.

The potato starch doesn't get lumpy or gritty/grainy like I had experienced with the rice flour.

I made gluten free gravy for Turkey Day this year and it was DELICIOUS.

I made a rioux of 2 Tbs butter and 2 tbs rice flour. I mixed it well over medium heat until it was a paste and then we added the pan drippings. It had been a Turkey breast, not a full turkey, so we also added about 1 cup water and 1 packet of Herbox Chicken boullion.

SO YUMMY. Gluten eaters ate it too and loved it. :D

Like Kbabe I made my own using Gluten Free Girl's recipe http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/ and even the gluten-eaters couldn't tell it was gluten free. These are detailed instructions but if you know how to make a roux, you don't even need to read them.

GLUTEN-FREE GRAVY

1/4 cup unsalted butter

1/4 cup gluten-free flour*

2 cups chicken stock (or juices from the roasted turkey)

salt and pepper to taste

*Shauna uses sweet rice flour. I used a combination of 2 parts Bob

Okay, it is a rare occasion--I'm starting a topic. :rolleyes:

My first thought was, "What!? Peter GIVES advice, he doesn't ASK for it!"

To answer your question, we use pan drippings, add some chicken bouillion cubes/powder and then add a sweet rice flour & water mix (shake well before adding). We usually add pepper, but I don't add salt since bouillion seems salty to me.

Knorr Veloutine is gluten-free and a really good thickener. There's no flavour to it. You can get it at any grocery near the Bisto or other powdered gravy mixes. It comes in white for white sauces or brown for dark gravies. You do need to add quite a bit of Veloutine though, but it never gets lumpy. We've been having gluten-free gravy at all the family events for two years and no one's complained yet. Well, not to my face anyway. :ph34r: I never use cornstarch, it always gets lumpy.

I use sweet rice flour to make gravy. Have to use olive oil if we need additional fat because of a dairy allergy. If you can have soy, you might try Road's End Organics golden gravy. It's good, but daughter can't have soy.

I LOVE GRAVY! I never really made my own gravy before going gluten-free, but now i'm the pro :D I learned how to do it from Rachael Ray :lol: And I've tried it with cornstarch, but I really love it with featherlight flour mix! So good!

heh... I wonder if gravy is one of those things best learned "in person". I only had lumps, once, and that was using some variety of flour or something else. But I definitely saw it made at home a lot. there should be more "easy-access" cooking training. :)

I'm just curious why some of you say to avoid bean flour.

I made some "milk gravy" using garbanzo beans(chickpeas) and it turned out really good.

I roasted the beans and then ground them in my grain mill, so maybe that helped boost the flavor.

Just curious if that's the bean flour you're referring to?