Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NoGluGirl

Any Of These Items Gluten-free?

Dear Gluten-Free Friends,

Most of the Great Value items are labeled when they are gluten-free. However, the vanilla is not. Does anyone know if it is safe? I have some, but do not want to use it if it is not safe for sure. I appreciate any help. Thank you!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000

Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Thyroid Disease - August 2004

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

From what I have read, GV brand labels products gluten-free only IF: they are made w/ ingredients that are gluten-free, or they are made in a plant that is gluten-free. So, if the ingredients seem to be gluten-free, it could be CC during production. McCormicks and Adams are both gluten-free. I don't know if you can get Adams where you are at, but they will label all their products gluten-free as well.

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

Dear ptkds,

I am glad I did not chance using it then! My father wanted me to use the extract. I told him if it was not labeled, then I should not chance it. The reaction I get is too violent! I normally only use Durkee Pure Vanilla. He complains it is too expensive. Thank you so much for your reply!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

glad you didn't. i'm pretty sure it has gluten in it. i thought i called on it once, but don't remember...

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Dear Sweetfudge,

I am glad I did not use it, either! It is so annoying when people want you to play Russian Roulette with your intestines. :angry: My father is saying we need to use common sense. :rolleyes: He is the first to complain when he has to go downstairs and expects me to get off of the toilet when I am violently ill from being glutened! Durkee Pure Vanilla is what I always use, and from now on, that is all I will use.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

"pure" vanilla extra is made from vanilla beans (dried orchid pods), water & alcohol

(the alcohol is usually a vodka-like substance, but it can be bourbon... which may be fortified post-distilling, so watch out there)

imitation vanilla or "vanillin" is made from chemically processed woodchips

You can make your own vanilla extract at home.

Put a few vanilla pods into a bottle of vodka, store in a cool, dark place

6+ months later... vanilla extract.

Real and waaaay cheaper than the store bought.

I use the Trader Joe's brand of vanilla (pure vanilla) & have not had any problems at all.

And, it's not expensive!!

Diagnosed Fibromyalgia & osteoarthritis in multiple joints 12/06

Diagnosed gluten intolerant through dietary trials 8/07

Enterolab positive for gluten, casein, soy, egg

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 6,6)

Gluten free 8/10/07

Casein free 8/27/07

Soy & egg free 9/8/07

Eggs back again (whoo hoo!) 11/08

Diagnosed chronic fatigue syndrome 12/09

Starting various supplements/vitamins in hopes of feeling better!

Dear Amanda,

We always used Durkee. As far as I know, all of their extracts are safe. :) My father does not pay attention to the things I do. Then, he gets angry if I do not want to get sick! I told him to get Durkee Pure Vanilla Extract. I am glad McCormick is safe, too. In case I cannot get Durkee, I can probably find it somewhere!

Dear Kristina,

I definitely prefer pure. There is a huge difference in taste between pure and immitation. Thank you for the info! Vanilla beans are very expensive here. This is probably due to the fact they must be imported.

For me, it is actually less expensive to buy the pure extract. :blink:

Dear horsegirl,

Our town does not have a Trader Joe's. :( We live in a small town. Luckily, the local stores do carry McCormick's and Durkee spices and extracts. Within five miles, we have a three supermarkets, as well as a CVS. Despite living out in the county, we are not so far out that we do not have anything at all.

Dear Everyone,

Thank you so much for your help! Some of these things are so difficult to find an updated list on. Does anyone know of a new one for this year? I am wondering about some cosmetics and beauty products, too. I cannot find anything on them!

Sincerely,

Jin aka NoGluGirl

Jin

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001