Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chlobo

Where Do People Buy Their gluten-free Flours From?

are there coops that carry them?

DD, Age 4, diagnosed gluten sensitive 11/07

DH, diagnosed gluten sensitive with malabsorption 12/07

awaiting my test results now

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I buy most of my stuff by the case at amazon. It's free shipping over $25. It's cheaper overall if you buy it by the case. I also check prices online at Bob's Redmill, if I choose to have it sent to me, shipping isn't much because I live within 10 miles and you get a certain percentage off if you buy by the case--I only do this with products I know and like. I only buy stuff at the grocery store if I'm in a pinch and our co-op is more expensive than the store!?!?!

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

I buy some of mine from Cub Foods. They've got a great international section where I can get flour. The rest of my flour I get at a health-food type store that sells lots of gluten-free products.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

I buy some flours (rice, sweet (glutinous)rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch and noodles) at Asian stores. The rest I buy from Barryfarm.com (potato flour, any specialty flours I need that they may have). I may buy from somwhere else if I can't find it at one of these places or if I am in a hurry.

I have found a new site called honeyvillegrain.com. They sell rice flour in bulk, and it states it is gluten-free. My mom and I are gonna order some soon and split it! It works out to less than $1 a pound.

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

I buy a four flour blend from Manna Mills, a health food store. I sometimes buy it online if I am ordering some other things. It is expensive, but I don't do a lot of baking so I just suck it up. I buy sweet rice flour in the Asian food section. Much cheaper there. Also buy my glutinous rice flour there. Other flours such as white rice or brown rice can usually be found in the regular grocery store. I buy them in small quantities because they tend to go bad before I can use them all up.

Usually when I need it I buy it at the gluten free source in Dillsburg, I get the Grainless Baker all purpose flour. If I am in a pinch, the grocery store....

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Guest j_mommy

I go to the next biggest town(about an hour away) and I hit a couple different grocery stores...Woodmans, festival ect.

I generally steer clear of co-ops and health food stores b/c you can get the same thing cheaper somewhere else.

I either buy from Barry Farms through Amazon or at the local Organic store. I can't say enough good things about Barry Farms. I oder enough at once from Amazon to get free shipping. The local organic store is small and can only carry so much. I can count on them to have rice flour if I run out, but I don't see the point in buying little one pound bags from them when I can pay about as much for a 5 lb bag from Amazon.

Violet

"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind

as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

I got really lucky in that I can get a ton of gluten free stuff (including Bette Hagman's Blend) at a local health food store. It's $10.95 for 3lbs of flour, but at least I don't have to pay for shipping.

Jennifer

I have a little health food store by me that really is more into vitamins. I will say they are expanding their gluten free products. I buy Fearns white rice baking mix for 1.61 and the Fearns brown rice baking mix for about 2.00. They don't have a huge selection on the flours, but I buy any they have because they are so reasonable. I did buy Xanthan Gum for the cheapest I've seen. You didn't say where you live. I am in Michigan.