Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ginsou

Rice Dream Has Barley In It!

Unbelieveable, just when I think I've taken 2 steps ahead, I take 3 back. I travel on airlines often and the TSA was not too thrilled with my large container of Rice Dream drink ( I had a 12 hour travel day on airlines). Yes, I can drink water, coffee, etc. but I need all the nutrition I can get in a liquid. Tonight I purchased some 8 oz. packages of rice dream for a trip tomorrow, and for no reason at all, read the ingredients. It says "contains gluten from barley protein at less than 0.002 %. Granted, the amount is small, but I think it may be enough to make me feel ill. Now I'm wondering whether the larger size might also have barley in it.......I think the FDA does not require minute amounts to be listed, so I am grateful that the Hain Company has listed it. Guess I'll go back to carrying Pedialyte with me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The regular size also has been processed with barley--but it's marked gluten-free on the continer. The formula has not changed, only the label.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

wow, patti, i wonder why they don't list barley malt on the ingredients... i had some and i didn't get sick, nothing, and i'm usually relatively sensitive.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

wow, patti, i wonder why they don't list barley malt on the ingredients... i had some and i didn't get sick, nothing, and i'm usually relatively sensitive.

Angie,

I called them recently to ask about this since the question comes up a lot here. I was told that the formula did not change--it is still processed with the barley. It's because of the new labeling laws that they are now able to label it gluten-free.

Wow--it's interesting that you didn't react--I haven't had Rice Dream since I first went gluten-free and didn't know any better. I put some in my tea, and became sick shortly thereafter.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I made the huuuuge mistake of buying this junk this week. I drank a whole carton over several days and I have the 'burning knots' in my stomach I used to get. This is the first time in a long time I've had any problems and I know it is from Rice Dream. AVOID IT!

Joni

Dx'd with Celiac Disease 8/01/07

I've been having some poblems for about 6 weeks, and for the life of me did not know what it was. I suspected pine nuts, that I had been eating. Forget the Rice Dream, I'll go back to Vance's Dairy Free, which I like. Guess I should contact the company to make sure their product does not have any ingredients not listed that may bother me. And I will contact the Hain Company to let them know how unhappy I am with their incorrect labeling on the larger size.

The barley malt isn't an *ingredient* so they are technically able to say that their ingredients are gluten free. However, the barley malt is used in the processing - which inevitably is a HUGE contamination issue. Therefore... unsafe.

I'm glad they put that bit of information on the containers, but it's INCREDIBLY misleading to add the gluten free label.

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3

If you are looking for gluten free nutrition that you can travel with I highly recommend Enlive. I buy 2 cases at a time. they come in little 8 oz. boxes with a straw.

Enlive

Fat, Lactose & Gluten Free

Artificially Flavored

Enlive!

Patrice

retired Respiratory Therapist

currently Amateur Poker Player

" You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.... Albert Einstein"

Thanks for the heads up, I'll order some. I like a variety of things to be able to take on airplanes, 4 wheeling, kayaking, hiking, etc.

Whoops, it has whey in it....can't have it. Ordinary supermarket juices in travel packs will do.

I'm now home and my 64 oz. container of Rice Dream which was at home,says gluten free.I'll contact the company and see what they have to say.Hubby will drink the barley containing travel packs.

As usual, my carry on luggage was inspected....I love the look on their faces when they start pulling out multiple plastic bags of white powder (tapioca flour,rice flour,etc.) and my Vances Dari Free,Spectrum shortening,and coconut oil all show up on x-ray as being liquid, when they aren't.

I'm really beginning to enjoy my gluten,lactose,casein,soy free lifestyle. The only people I can depend on for accurate information is this forum!! :lol:

my child and i were diagnosed in Nov. and we have been drinking Rice Dream--even though it says gluten free i know now that is what has still bothered us!! we have eliminated EVERY other possible thing..thanks for the info..so frustrating!

I had switched to Rice Dream because I found out after additional testing that soy was also a huge problem for me. I find Vance's Dari-Free to be the best drink and it comes in different flavors....I also have purchased Better Than Milk Rice beverage....lactose,caseinate,gluten free. The Better Than Milk Rice beverage was hard to find....I will simply order it on-line.