Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Melybean

Bette Hagman Recipes Still Hurt...

Hi. I'm gluten and lactose intolerant, and I'm a huge fan of Bette Hagmann's Gluten Free Gourmet bakes bread (and makes desert) - that is, if I could eat it.

Every recipe I've tried from both books still give me the same gluten intolerant symptoms - definitely not as much as regular bread, but still enough for me to stay away.

Does anyone else have this problem? Has anyone experimented for long enough to know what the cause is? I've tried eliminating ingredients one at a time for awhile, but it seems like nothing is really working.

I really want it to work!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Every recipe I've tried from both books still give me the same gluten intolerant symptoms - definitely not as much as regular bread, but still enough for me to stay away.

I would've felt that way due to the yeast, assuming it's used.

Intestinal candida/yeast overgrowth was the culprit and it seems somewhat common around here.

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

Guest j_mommy

I would say that you probably have an intolerance or allergy to another ingedient besides lactose and gluten. sounds like something else is going on. Either that or you're getting either of those in an ingedient that you don't realize.

I dont have that book, but a decent number of celiacs cannot tolerate tapioca, which is in almost every flour mix. the last time i ingested tapioca (from frozen rice dream), i was in pain for over a week. You should be able to sub any starch for it, but I think the tapioca is responsible for the best textured breads :angry:

Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4

Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07

A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods

Celiac panel came back negative.

Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.

Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

I have had problems tolerating gluten free baked goods. I have been gluten free for one year and I can eat a little more of them than I could earlier this year.

I find I do better with mostly rice flours. White rice, sweet rice and brown rice are all easier on me. I use some corn starch, potato flour/starch, and tapioca, too, in smaller amounts. Even with these flours though, I have to limit the amount I eat. I cannot eat baked goods on a daily basis. When I do eat them, I try not to eat a large amount.

I find sorgum, teff and some of the bean flours to be particularly troublesome. I have to be very careful with oats. I can only tolerate a very small amount.

It seems to be fairly common to have problems with the gluten free baked goods, particularly while you are doing the initial healing.

For some yeast is a problem, too. I find that yeast does not make a difference for me. It does not matter whether it is bread, cakes, cookies, or pancakes. I just cannot eat it daily.

Positive Bloodwork January 2007

Positive Biopsy Feb. 2007

Gluten Free since January 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,9)

How about your pans - are they gluten free...I have had gluten issues for almost 4 years and finally bought myself a set of my own baking pans - muffin pan, loaf pan, and cookie sheet because the gluten free mixes still got me...it worked.

Hi. I'm gluten and lactose intolerant, and I'm a huge fan of Bette Hagmann's Gluten Free Gourmet bakes bread (and makes desert) - that is, if I could eat it.

Does anyone else have this problem? Has anyone experimented for long enough to know what the cause is? I've tried eliminating ingredients one at a time for awhile, but it seems like nothing is really working.

Do you have this problem with any store bought baked item? If not, I would say it is something in your process . . . pans (like NorthernElf suggested), mixer, ingredients that you may be using that were cc'd prior to going gluten free (such as baking soda/sugar) rubber spatula or wooden spoon, etc . . . are you storing your flours or sugar in a container that used to store wheat flour?

Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

animal0028.gif

I have to use my own flour mix with her recipes when I use them. I can't tolerate potato or GMO corn or cornstarch. If I remember right she has a corn free mix and a potato free mix but not one that is free of both. In addition if you use cornstarch it may or may not contain sulfities which is an issue for some people as well.

Violet

"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind

as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."