This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Found Me A New Celiac Friend!

blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

So at the hospital today they were celebrating some kind of tradition with this pudding. I turned down the pudding and told the woman I had allergies, she asked me to what and I said I have celiac disease and this has wheat in it. She told me she had celiac too and was rather new to it. She was diagnosed about a year or so ago but had recently moved to our area. We chatted for awhile and I dropped her an email and let her know the area dining spots, grocery stores, and some other tips. I also told her about this board, maybe we will have a new member too. The good news is she works at the same place I work so it will be nice to catch lunch together and share things. Exciting!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

How nice for you! I wished I had somebody like that around here. I hope you have other things in common besides celiac disease, as just having celiac disease isn't enough for a friendship (but it is a start).

lizard00 Enthusiast

I have to admit, I am rather jealous too. :rolleyes:

I just need another person to eat with who understands... my family is so great and supportive, but it would be great to have a friend to catch lunch with who does't say "wow! are you still doing that diet?"

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
I have to admit, I am rather jealous too. :rolleyes:

I just need another person to eat with who understands... my family is so great and supportive, but it would be great to have a friend to catch lunch with who does't say "wow! are you still doing that diet?"

HAHAHAHA!!!! Yeah, still doing 'that diet'. I met someone who happened to bring gluten-free brownies to a party I brought gluten-free banana muffins to, and we so totally didnt hit it off. I find a lot of women in their late thirties-mid forties are a bit cold to someone my age, I'm not sure why. I get along great with elderly people....... So I guess Celiac really isn't enough to 'bring people together.......'.

Jestgar Rising Star

When I discovered this whole gluten thing a friend of mine started asking about it and after some discussion she realized it was probably the cause of her migraines. Now we're both strictly gluten free, soy free and dairy lite (she's more ultra-light).

It's really really nice to have someone to exchange food stories with.

confusedks Enthusiast

That's so great Amanda! I went to Celiac camp last summer and one of the campers and I flew home together, and it was SO fun to be at a restaurant together and ask them all kinds of questions...and she didn't think I was wierd! :lol: LOL!

It is really great!

gdobson Explorer

I am jealous as well! What I wouldn't do for a local celiac friend!!!!!! Oh, who am I kidding - what I wouldn't do for a good regular friend. :P Real friends are hard to come by.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I actually do have a few local celiac friends, two are from the board, Guhlia and Sunnydyrain. One is a woman I met at my dentists office, she works there. We joined the support group together but we did not rejoin this year. She actually made the bouquets for my wedding in November, she is very crafty.

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast

We should all get together sometime for lunch! I have a celiac friend where I work too. Do you get an hour lunch?

We should all get together sometime for lunch! I have a celiac friend where I work too. Do you get an hour lunch?

yep I do, we should do The Chocolate Ave Grill, that place is great. Just let me know when.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Amanda that's so cool happy for you

did i read somewhere on here John was sick again???????????????//

DingoGirl Enthusiast

I'm soooooooo jealous!!!!!!!!! but happy for you - - this is great news!!!!!!!

:)

HAK1031 Enthusiast

One of my best friends since sixth grade has celiac, and when I was diagnosed this year, she was SO helpful. She told me what to buy, where to eat, everything. My Spanish teacher was giving out cheez its a little while ago in class ( I have no idea why :rolleyes: ) and we just looked at eachother and laughed- the little things make SUCH a big difference. I also have two other friends who are gluten intolerant, but they're not strict about it. Either way, it's still helpful!

Amanda that's so cool happy for you

did i read somewhere on here John was sick again???????????????//

actually we are both sick now.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
actually we are both sick now.

SORRY YOUR BOTH SICK :ph34r: BUT HOPE YOU STAYED HOME IN CASE YOU HAD THE ICE STORM WE DID TODAY AND DIDN'T HAVE TO DRIVE IN IT.

LET ME KNOW OK

SORRY YOUR BOTH SICK :ph34r: BUT HOPE YOU STAYED HOME IN CASE YOU HAD THE ICE STORM WE DID TODAY AND DIDN'T HAVE TO DRIVE IN IT.

LET ME KNOW OK

Judy, yep we were both home today, I am finally feeling better tonight but John is still sick but he said he is going to work tomorrow....

We had snow all day but now it is supposed to change over to ice....how about at your place.

home-based-mom Contributor

I have friends who have close family members who are dealing with severe intolerances (life threatening in some cases) and even though I do not react anywhere near that strongly to gluten, they totally understand why I avoid gluten like a vampire avoids the sun! :lol:

It is nice to share grumbles, have someone understand where you are coming from and not think you are weird. :)

There is also another gluten-intolerant person at my church. We watch out for each other at some of the gatherings, which at my church tend to involve food!

It will be nice to have someone to share a "safe" lunch with!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Judy, yep we were both home today, I am finally feeling better tonight but John is still sick but he said he is going to work tomorrow....

We had snow all day but now it is supposed to change over to ice....how about at your place.

you must be behind us.

Amanda.........it is a skating rink here.........and now the sleet is coming again.

amazing.

glad i got my son's valentine box off early today hope he gets it by thrus.

please take care of yourselves........if it's ice........stay home...........please.

glad your feeling a little better.

this virus must be awful

my chiro got it fri and canceled my apt ..........first time in 12 years she's taken off....

you must be behind us.

Amanda.........it is a skating rink here.........and now the sleet is coming again.

amazing.

glad i got my son's valentine box off early today hope he gets it by thrus.

please take care of yourselves........if it's ice........stay home...........please.

glad your feeling a little better.

this virus must be awful

my chiro got it fri and canceled my apt ..........first time in 12 years she's taken off....

It was so bad. I have not been sick like that in a long time. I was so sick at work yesterday my coworkers offered to take me home.

I will probably go to work late tomorrow in anything.

Archived