Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jkmunchkin

It's A Good Time To Have Celiac

I just saw a news clip about how the price of wheat has gone up more than 50% and so the cost of everything we can't eat is shooting up. Granted gluten free products already cost so much more than their wheat counterpart, but it still made me smile inside knowing that for once the rising cost of something doesn't affect me. ;)

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

But corn is also sky-rocketing too, since they use that for biofuel...so I hope that doesnt make our products start to go up since they use a lot of corn base in that.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Join eNewsletter

corn prices have been going up per bushel due to ethanol push. note prices of corn futures in stock market pages. Farmers are growing more corn to respond, but it's not edible corn..corn just for ethanol.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Join eNewsletter

Yep and it makes my pocketbook thicker since i grow wheat lol.

paula

You grow wheat???? lol :) That's worse than me taking my celiac mother to the Minneapolis Mill City Museum to learn about this history of wheat flour production in the area :P [bTW, I actually do recommend the museum. Just stay out of the baking room and the "flour explosion" demo.]

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Join eNewsletter

Is there any reason why rice and other gluten-free grains won't also become more costly?

<_< Nope. If the basic price of the grain the rest of the humans eat goes up, guess what happens to the demand for the stuff the special people eat.

There is going to be mass indignation when the average shopper picks up a little sack of flour that costs as much as ours does.

Join eNewsletter

My DH and I were discussing this today. One thing we thought may happen is that some of the unsafe script drugs may start using safe binders, since they will be cheaper. My hope at least.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter