This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Frito Lay!

pinkscooby6

pinkscooby6 Rookie

Here is a list I found on Frito Lays website. It has a huge list of gluten free products. Just be sure to read the note at the end. Enjoy :D

Products Not Containing Gluten

Last updated April 8, 2008

BAKED! CHEETOS

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa16 Collaborator

Hi pinkscooby!

I got zapped by a package of the tostitos bite size gold tortilla chips. I was so bummed. I think that you have to be careful with Lays because of CC-- and I have seen more comments to that effect here. I won't buy them again for a really long time, if ever.

On the other hand I have had really good luck with smaller "natural" brands like kettle potato chips.

What about scooby snacks? Are they gluten free?

Lisa

darlindeb25 Collaborator

On the other hand, there are those of us who have never been glutened by Lays. I only eat Lay's Regular Chips or Ruffles Regular Chips--none of the others, and I have never been glutened by them.

jerseyangel Proficient

For me, the Lay's chips were hit or miss, and I don't feel like taking chances like that. I do eat the Original Flavor Lay's Stax with no problems--not as good as the Natural line, but safe.

larry mac Enthusiast
....I got zapped by a package of the tostitos bite size gold tortilla chips. I was so bummed. I think that you have to be careful with Lays because of CC-- and I have seen more comments to that effect here. I won't buy them again for a really long time, if ever....

That's wierd, 'cause I've never seen or even heard of Tostidos bite size gold tortilla chips. I eat Tostido's 100% white corn bite size chips just about every day. I eat a lot of nachos, and chips with avocado, or cheese & salsa. Also Fritos, Cheetos, Ruffles, and Lay's Kettle Cooked original extra crunchy potato chips (I'm currently on a big binge on these).

Never once have I gotten glutened eating any Frito Lay product! <_< Just my experience.

best regards, lm

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I get sick every single time I eat doritos. I don't know if its CC or just something in them that doesn't agree with me.

Susan

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I was overjoyed when I saw the list when first diagnosed also. Unfortunately many here will tell you that they aren't as safe as we need them to be. I would wait until I was fully healed before eating any of their products and when you do try them don't consume anything else risky at the same time. Many eat the plain Lays with no problem but most of the other stuff folks do react to. The choice to risk it is up to you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa16 Collaborator

That's wierd, 'cause I've never seen or even heard of Tostidos bite size gold tortilla chips. I eat Tostido's 100% white corn bite size chips just about every day. I eat a lot of nachos, and chips with avocado, or cheese & salsa. Also Fritos, Cheetos, Ruffles, and Lay's Kettle Cooked original extra crunchy potato chips (I'm currently on a big binge on these).

Hi Larry Mac :) (I have an uncle who could use the same moniker)

I haven't had trouble with the potato chips either--other than the usual eating too many of them.

Our CUB supermarket carries the bite size gold chips-- they are small rounds and they have a very nice flavor (fairly refined flavor for yellow corn)-- I wonder if they are distributed regionally. Maybe that has something to do with it too.

Or maybe certain products are made on different lines (even at entirely different factories) or it could be the luck of the draw as to which product was made on that equipment before a gluten-free run and how close your particular bag was to the beginning of the new run.

I, like you, am very fond of nachos. Sadly, I haven't had any since (I tend to hold a grudge against a food that made me sick :lol:) I might eat the potato chips- don't much like cheetos (it's the nasty orange finger prints that get me.) But now I might give the white corn bite size a try in a bit (maybe in a few months). Thanks for the info.

Lisa

Ivanna44 Apprentice

Thank you pinkscooby

For the extenisve list of many things I thought were on the NO NO list. I know I recently read the Pringles label and found out they do have "wheat" listed. But, at least it was listed. I tend to stick to low salt plain potatoe chips and tortilla chips. Interesting to know now I can add things like Cheetos. Which I might feel like once or twice a year.

Thanks again for obtaining and copy/posting the listing. I am just assuming that the Canadian production lines are the same :ph34r: , as I realize that most of the members here, 80% odd are from the States.

larry mac Enthusiast
.... I know I recently read the Pringles label and found out they do have "wheat" listed. But, at least it was listed....

The only Pringles I've found that don't list wheat are the fat free ones. But I'm a little afraid of those as they contain Olestra. I have eaten them without incident. However, I don't think I need any potential diarreah sources as I seem to have that area covered pretty well.

Frito Lay Staxx don't have wheat, although they are not near as good as Pringles IMO.

best regards, lm

zarfkitty Explorer

I wonder if Frito-Lay products vary in safety by region. At a support group meeting, someone told me that the products processed in the Plano, Texas plant were safer than other Frito-Lay products. This was only her subjective opinion based on eating Frito-Lay products on road trips that had been processed at other plants.

Since I live in Austin, most of the Frito-Lay products available to me are from the Plano plant. I have never reacted. I do check to make sure I'm buying Plano processed product before I purchase.

I'm curious where the chips that caused reactions were processed...

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I thought regular doritos had wheat in them?

Lisa16 Collaborator

They do! It was my favorite snack before dx.

But there are some kinds that don't... maybe she means one of those.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
They do! It was my favorite snack before dx.

But there are some kinds that don't... maybe she means one of those.

Yep the white natural kind do not have wheat. We have had those but not recently.

• 2 years later...
Bella001 Explorer

Here's an updated list:

Last updated October 26, 2010

BAKED! CHEETOS

Nor-TX Enthusiast

It would be interesting to know how many of these items are also dairy free?

kareng Grand Master

Probably not many since most of the flavors say cheese or sour cream. I like plain anyway.

jerseyangel Proficient

Open Original Shared Link

Lots of info here :)

Nor-TX Enthusiast

Wow wow, great information! Thank you so much for finding this for me. By the way, do you have the winning numbers for the lottery this weeekend's lottery? I'd especially like the mult-million dollar numbers. :rolleyes:

jerseyangel Proficient

Wow wow, great information! Thank you so much for finding this for me. By the way, do you have the winning numbers for the lottery this weeekend's lottery? I'd especially like the mult-million dollar numbers. :rolleyes:

:lol: If only....

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thanks for the link. The most important info for me is this

Please note however, that other than our LAY'S

jerseyangel Proficient

The most important info for me is this

I wish they would put this info on the bags it would have saved me a lot of misery early in the diet.

Me too! <_< Other than the Stax, I don't chance them anymore.

T.H. Community Regular

That would be really interesting to test some time.

My daughter is pretty extra sensitive and ate some of the fritos corn chips a couple days ago and got so sick off of them, I felt awful. If there was a plant that made them with less potential CC, that would really awesome to find out, ya know?

• 1 year later...
MenHen Rookie

I know this is an old post, but maybe this will help someone. I was looking into Frito's bean dip and it looks like their policies have changed since last year. There are a few more varieties that are tested for gluten. It sounds as though the top group are ran on dedicated lines and the bottom group is not, but I have not confirmed this.

From their site: Open Original Shared Link

Some people suffer from an intolerance to foods containing gluten, which is a type of protein found in wheat, rye and barley. Frito-Lay has validated through analytical testing that the following products contain less than 20 ppm of gluten.

Please note: The information provided pertains only to products made and distributed in the U.S. Products sold in other countries under similar brands may be made using slightly different recipes and ingredients to accommodate local needs and preferences.

Last updated October 26, 2011

BAKED! LAY'S

Archived