This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hayfever

Kathy B

Kathy B Newbie

I have been gluten free for nearly a year, although not diagnosed. My doctor is uninterested as I am too well! My health has steadily improved over the last year and all sorts of problems have gradually got better apart from my hayfever. I am taking anti histamine for this, but I wondered if any one has any experience of curing this problem through diet?

One bonus of being gluten free is the great reduction in the amount of toilet paper I now consume! This is a bit crude I know, but often I hardly need to wipe at all!

Your views much appreciated. Thanks.

Kathy B

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dollamasgetceliac? Explorer

I know for a fact that my Asthma has pretty much disapeared since I drink strong black tea , I just get the one from Trade Joes. I always eat something with it like a gluten-free/CF Nut Free food bar, and I avoid all foods I think i am allergic to including Honey, that is a definite No No, then I avoid going to peoples houses who have cats or Dogs, if I have to go I stay for only 10 minutes then I have to take aBenedryl. So if someone insists that I sit down and talk to them ( I wash my clothes asap with warm water). I use all soaps and detergants that have been allergy tested and are designed for Asthmatics and people with Allergies.

When there is a lot of polen I stay indoors, or I wear glasses and a hat( so I do not have to wash my hair that often).

I do not shower every day ( I do not smell bad) it is just not good because you wash away the protective layer of skin. I use a wash cloth and a minimum of soap.

I avoid people with perfume.

I If I get an allergic reaction I take Benedryl right away the longer I wait the worse it gets.

In conclusion Black tea and pleanty of foods that are orange and yellow( they are healing) I do avoid oranges but lemons are o.k.

Dr. Feingold look for their website has a diet that you can iliminate all foods that contain salisic acid and artificial color and flavor. Then you reintroduce the fruits that contain Salicilates after 6 weeks , any way you must get their starter kit and to me it is worth every penny. Because it changed a lot for me.

Di-gfree Apprentice

Hi, I have hay fever. I went gluten-free after my diagnosis in 97, and haven't noticed that the hay fever has improved. The only time it improved was when I lived in a different part of the country, which indicated to me that I'm allergic to something where I am now. :rolleyes: It starts about now (early-mid June) and stops around mid July. So, no, unfortunately, my hay fever hasn't gone away by being gluten-free.

I 'tough it out', and don't take medication for it. I used to take Claritin, but I'm so sensitive to, and scared of, medication, that I avoid it whenever possible (I've had too many side effects from most meds I've ever taken).

lizard00 Enthusiast

I am another one that it didn't help with. I was hoping it would, as I have heard of people with asthma, sinus or allergy problems getting better going gluten-free. But, I still deal with it. I stopped taking Zyrtec today, and started on an herbal remedy that's supposed to help with the headache that I get. Wish I could tell you otherwise... ;)

ArtGirl Enthusiast

My husband had what appeared to be hay fever for years, getting steadily more severe until he was about to ask for a prescription strength medication.

Then he had a food sensitivity blood test done, which turned up he was sensitive to eggs and milk. As soon as he stopped ingesting those two foods (and their derivitives) his "hay fever" went away. Now it is only when he has dairy or too many eggs that his nose runs and all the rest.

So, yes, "hay fever" can be improved by diet - IF it's actually a food allergy.

He misses ice cream and cheese - but, hey, life is good without it.

jerseyangel Proficient

My seasonal allergies did not change at all with the gluten-free diet. I still use Claritin when the symptoms get bad enough, and a steroid nasal spray as needed.

I eat plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, drink tea (not coffee) and avoid dairy (as well as other foods I'm intolerant to).

dbmamaz Explorer
My husband had what appeared to be hay fever for years, . . turned up he was sensitive to eggs and milk. As soon as he stopped ingesting those two foods (and their derivitives) his "hay fever" went away.

I also have tons of food allergies. Several foods will give me runny nose, or make me choke on snot in my throat. I definitely am suprised how much easier it is to breath . .. but dont get me wrong, hayfever season (which runs march thru november here in richmond, va) still gets to me . . as do the cats . . .but i'm not quite as snotty.

Oh, i also second the 'much less TP' comment . . . that was one of my biggest joy, was getting rid of the 'messy' poos. I got so tired of trying to explain, it wasnt about the texture or floating or oil or any of that . . . it was just so messy, i HATED that .. .. spending what felt like hours wiping and muttering how much i hate my body . . .

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

Grapeseed extract and Quercitin keep mine away. Both are natural anti-histimines. Our allergy season starts around February. I used to start taking them then. I now just take them year around and dont get the allergies anymore and I used to live off "Allerest". :)

Kathy B Newbie

Many thanks for your comments. I did try to go dairy free for 4 days and it did not seem to make any difference. In fact I found that soya milk, which I was having intead of cows milk, gave me headaches. I did get rid of my feather pillows and that helped no end with my night time sneezing. I will have to try some grapeseed and quercitin. I assume a health stores would have them.

Kathy B

ShayFL Enthusiast

The grapeseed and quercitin are not a "quick fix". It takes a few weeks to a month to build up enough in your system. Front load and then get down to a "maintenance" dose. Double what every the bottle recommends for a week or two and then go down to the recommendation. Both are non-toxic.

Archived