This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hillshire Farms Kielbasa

IdGirl

IdGirl Newbie

Hi,

I have read this message board for years and finally registered. My fiancee has celiacs and I am always trying to learn more so that I can cook a variety of things for him.

I had read on here that Hillshire Farms Kielbasa was safe to eat. When I got to the store, there were several types by Hillshire Farms and I wasn't sure what to get or if it mattered. I bought the Polska Kielbasa. Well, a few minutes after eating the meal, his stomach was going nuts. :( The rest of the ingredients in the meal he had had before and I knew they were fine.

Has anyone else gotten sick eating this sausage? Or did I pick out the wrong one....

Thanks!!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Hillshire Farms Polish Keilbasa is a staple in our family. To my current knowledge, it is gluten free. But, always read lables as ingredients can change frequently.

munkee41182 Explorer

Although I'm the one with celiac, my fiance's stomach goes nuts too when we eat Kilbasa. It's something he didn't eat for the longest time and when he did, his stomach yelled at him. I know processed meats (like sausages), red meats and sodium kill my fiance's stomach (mainly because he has his own dietary restrictions as well). Maybe it's the same thing with your husband, especially if it's been a while since he's had it?

wolfie Enthusiast

Most sausage/kielbasa/hot dogs do this to my stomach even though they are gluten-free. DS also has Celiac and can eat all of the above and be fine and he is super-sensitive.

dionnek Enthusiast

I eat the turkey ones all the time without a problem, so it probably is something else. Could it have been CC (with pans/spoons, etc.)? I never eat hotdogs for this reason - they give me headaches and tummy aches - think it's the nitrates.

cruelshoes Enthusiast

Hillshire farms is owned by Sara Lee. They have a very good labeling policy. If there is wheat, barley, rye or oats in a product, it is clearly marked on the label. They do not hide it in natural flavors or anything like that. The label off of the product will be the best guide on whether the product is gluten-free or not (formulations change all the time). There is no hidden gluten.

Victory12 Rookie

We used to eat kielbasa up until it upset my stomach. I think some brands are fine, while others are not. I think the one that did it was Hillshire, but to be honest, I haven't even picked it up since the last time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

We use to get the Hillshire Farms Beef. Sometimes my stomach hurt but I believe it was from the oil/grease. The sodium also got to me. We use to make mac and cheese with the little smokies but same thing. We stopped buying this mainly because of trying to eat better, we maybe buy it couple times a year or less.

There is Johnsonville. I have not tried them yet but they label gluten free on the ingredients label and on their website if you look at the ingredients it will say gluten free if it is. They even have recipies on their website and how to cook the different products.

Good Luck

IdGirl Newbie

Thank you all for your responses!

I think it could be that my fiancee hadn't tried kielbasa in at least 10 + years. And I remember now that my brother (who does not have any dietary restrictions) would not eat kielbasa because it would really upset his stomach. The meal I made was pretty greasy and meat filled. I ate it and was fine but I don't have celiacs and I have the stomach of a goat (or so I am told). :D

HAK1031 Enthusiast

Try the turkey polska kielbasa (if you are willing to risk it). My mom doesn't eat red meat, and both of us have sensitive stomachs. We both have issues with garlic and onions and other foods with a high sulfur content, which sausage can sometimes have. I cannot eat regular sausage at all. The turkey version is less greasy and salty, and both my mom and I tolerate it well.

• 11 months later...
judi g Newbie
Hi,

I have read this message board for years and finally registered. My fiancee has celiacs and I am always trying to learn more so that I can cook a variety of things for him.

I had read on here that Hillshire Farms Kielbasa was safe to eat. When I got to the store, there were several types by Hillshire Farms and I wasn't sure what to get or if it mattered. I bought the Polska Kielbasa. Well, a few minutes after eating the meal, his stomach was going nuts. :( The rest of the ingredients in the meal he had had before and I knew they were fine.

Has anyone else gotten sick eating this sausage? Or did I pick out the wrong one....

Thanks!!! :)

• 1 year later...
Bloated Newbie

Does anyone know if the hillshire farms beef little smokies are gluten free?

sa1937 Community Regular

Does anyone know if the hillshire farms beef little smokies are gluten free?

Yes! http://gomeat.com/pr...ed-sausage.aspx

Edit: Oops....I pulled up the regular little smokies. Here's the info for the beef:

Ingredients:Beef, Water, Corn Syrup, Contains 2% or Less Of: salt, potassium lactate, Natural flavors, Dextrose, sodium phosphate, Monosodium Glutamate, sodium diacetate, Vitamin C (sodium ascorbate), Sodium Nitrite.

• 2 years later...
Christiana Newbie

I think their ingredients have changed. This is what I just pulled up:

Polska Kielbasa
Ingredients:
ingredients: Meat Ingredients (Pork, Beef), Water, Corn Syrup, CONTAINS 2% or less of: Salt, POTASSIUM LACTATE, Dextrose, Natural Flavors, Isolated Soy Product, isolated soy protein, Monosodium Glutamate, sodium diacetate, SODIUM ERYTHORBATE, Sodium Nitrite.
CONTAINS: SOY

However, Dextrose and Natural Flavors can both contain wheat. Also, people with celiac can be sensitive to MSG. And there are people who have allergies to Nitrates.

So, even if the dextrose is made from corn instead of wheat, and even if the natural flavors don't contain wheat, and you're okay with soy, what your stomach may be going nuts over is the MSG or the nitrates.

notme Experienced

this is an old thread, so ingredients may have changed in the past 2 years - this was actually started in 2008, soo.....

• 6 years later...
European Asian Newbie

I have celiacs and my stomach is sensitive to kielbasa. I here conflicting opinions about being gluten free but some people are okay with it others are not maybe it's the sausage sleeve that it's put in not sure I feel better when I stick to chicken turkey and fish

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Old Thread but I wanted to say I messaged and was told a local company down here in Texas were gluten and it says it on the large boxes when you get in bulk. We use them in our catering and for tent set ups/events. https://kiolbassa.com/product-category/sausage/

cyclinglady Grand Master

My gluten-free hubby can safely eat sausage that is clearly marked gluten free.  But I can not.  First,  it has garlic (intolerant), and second,  I can not digest anything with a casing.  Give me a hot dog (and I will barf it up).  Been that way since I was a kid.  No matter the brand — organic, natural, whatever!    It is not the nitrates because bacon goes down fine.  

• 1 month later...
Rob S. Contributor

I wrote Hillshire Farms questioning whether or not the rope sausage is gluten free. Here is its straightforward response:

Thank you for contacting us regarding our Hillshire Farm Sausage Ropes. It is always a pleasure to hear from our consumers.

Our Nutritional and Labeling Department related that federal regulations require that "GLUTEN FREE" be called out on the label/packaging ONLY if products are truly gluten free. If there is no indication of gluten free anywhere on the package/label it is safe to assume that the product in question is NOT gluten free.

Thank you again for your comments and for the compliment you pay us by using our items. Please be assured that we are committed to producing quality foods for you and your family.

Best Regards,

Brianda
Consumer Relations

dnrsmith Newbie

I have an app on my phone called IPIIT.   I eat one of them not sure which one, but I always scan the barcode first.   This has really worked for me.

You have to watch if they are smoked, flavored etc.   I am a Severe Celiac, this app has worked wonderfully for me.

dnrsmith

Edited by dnrsmith