This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Suck At This Diet =(

UndercoverAlien

UndercoverAlien Apprentice

im such an idiot i always end up accidently eating gluten goddamnit!!!!!!

i try to heal from it with much hurt in my stomach im only doing this a few days and costs me much work and energie but why do i always accidently end up eating the darned gluten :(

when does the label starts being put on food of where gluten is in it and when not?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

The best way to avoid this is to buy/eat simple foods: plain meats, basic spices, eggs, nuts, veggies, fruits, rice, potato (and the like). If you can find it in nature......eat it. There are no donut trees. ;)

Cook all your own food at home in a clean kitchen free of any gluten.

This will be your saving grace.

potatos has no gluten?neather does eggs?does that means i can eat French fries with mayonnaise?

ShayFL Enthusiast

You totally missed the point.....avoid "processed foods" like french fries and mayo. Eat the whole potato or whole egg.

You can make french fries at home. Cut up potatos into fry shapes, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and bake in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes or until slightly browned.

Scramble eggs and add veggies.

Some mayo is gluten free. I dont eat processed foods, so I dont know which brands. You will have to check before you eat them.

You totally missed the point.....avoid "processed foods" like french fries and mayo. Eat the whole potato or whole egg.

You can make french fries at home. Cut up potatos into fry shapes, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and bake in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes or until slightly browned.

Scramble eggs and add veggies.

Some mayo is gluten free. I dont eat processed foods, so I dont know which brands. You will have to check before you eat them.

whats procesd food?i dont get it really sorry :(

Phyllis28 Apprentice

You have to be careful with french fries. They need to be cooked in a dedicated fryer. If they are fried in the same fryer as items coated with bread they will probably be cross contaminated. Also, many restaurant french fries are not pure potatoes. You would need to check with the restaurant about their gluten free status. You will need to verify that the brand of mayonnaise you are using is gluten free.

I also agree with ShayFL start with plain whole foods and possibly canned goods with straightforward understandable ingredients, like refried beans - Pinto beans, water. I tend to buy organic canned goods because they have straigthforward understandable ingredients.

I stick to the following rule: If in doubt leave it out.

I make potatoes similary to ShayFL's but add garlic powder, salt and pepper to the olive oil. These are better than french fries.

purple Community Regular
whats procesd food?i dont get it really sorry :(

If it grows naturally and man took it and changed it into something else then its called processed. Its not in its original state any more. It could have chemicals, pesticides, preservatives, artificial flavorings/colors, etc. added to it. If it comes in a jar, box, bag or can it is probably processed.

EX: Corn or potatoes become corn chips or potato chips

Apples become apple pie

Cucumbers become pickles

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbtoyssni Contributor

Processed foods are the ones you find on the inside aisles of stores - things in cans, boxes. Things that are single-serving sized. Things that you just pop in the microwave or oven. Things that do not occur naturally in nature. Things that contain ingredients you can't pronounce or don't know what they are. Shop the outside ring of the store. You'll find the most "natural"-type food there: fruits and veggies, plain meats.

I would suggest printing out the list of ingredients you can't have and taking that to the store with you. Once you find an item that's safe, you may have to eat it many times while you're researching other items you can eat. If you aren't sure, don't eat it!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You have gotten a lot of good advice. The diet is hard at first for everyone. It can be really frustrating.

You will get the hang of it.

Be sure to check out the gluten free store here that can be visited by going to the home page. That will give you a good idea of the types of gluten free stuff that is already available. Do you live in the US? If so many health food stores have items like cereal and baked goods that are gluten free. You shouldn't consume a lot of them till you have healed but they will give you some quick and easy stuff that is safe. There are also grocery stores that will label gluten free food. Wegmans, based in NY state are an example and Walmart is also labeling their gluten free stuff. If your not in the US we have members from all over the world and some may be able to help guide you with things that are more local to you.

Hang in there, none of us was good at this diet in the beginning.

Juliebove Rising Star

If you eat food from a restaurant, there is a big chance of cross contamination. If you get French Fries, there is a big chance of having them fried with something like onion rings and then you will get gluten on your fries.

If you really want fries, it's best to make them at home. We buy the Alexa frozen brand. They are gluten free and organic.

didnt knew that i tought something is gluten free if its not on the package

so buying food from the supermarkt is also not allowd? <_<

MyMississippi Enthusiast

Most "packages" don't list gluten as an ingredient. Gluten is found in wheat, rye, barley, oats---- you cannot eat anything with those ingredients listed. Also gluten is hidden in some not so obvious places like flavorings, etc.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
didnt knew that i tought something is gluten free if its not on the package

so buying food from the supermarkt is also not allowd? <_<

You can get stuff from a supermarket but you do need to read the ingredients and as mentioned look for the words wheat, rye, barley or oats. You might find these links helpful-

https://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsaf...ents/Page1.html

and also:

Open Original Shared Link

Give them both a good look over and that should help make some things a bit more understandable.

Green Eyes Rookie

Hello UndercoverAlien,

It is very tough when you first begin eating gluten free. With time it does get easier. My advice is to keep reading!!!! There is a lot of good information on this website. Also, keep asking questions. Nothing is to big or to small for this group.

When I started only a few months ago I went to some very basic foods. Foods I knew I could count on. I then started to add a few new things little by little. I have actually eaten in a restaurant twice with great success both times.

Give yourself some time and you will be a pro!!!!

Jennifer

puggirl Apprentice

Have you been formally diagnosed by a doctor or just self diagnosed? If a doctor told you that you have it then it might be a good Idea to Call him/her and talk to the doc or have you talk to a nutritionist to go over what you can and cant have.

There is alot of info on this site along, in the past posts, recipes and things that are good to eat. Unfortunetly it is a dramatic change (for most) Myself Im only 2 1/2 weeks into gluten free and I have been feeling better and also have more ENERGY then ever before.

Good luck and try not to be too discouraged.

self-diagnose but im 100% sure i have it

at the moment theres NOTHING at home wich is sure gluten-free only water and a some banana's :(

ravenwoodglass Mentor
self-diagnose but im 100% sure i have it

at the moment theres NOTHING at home wich is sure gluten-free only water and a some banana's :(

You should go to the doctor and tell him your concerns. Ask him for a celiac panel. You really should get tested before you start doing the diet. There are a couple of really good reasons to test first. Most important is that to know for sure the doctor will want you to go back on gluten for testing. This can make us very ill if we have already gone gluten free. There are many related autoimmune diseases that your doctor will want to watch out for, he can't do that if he doesn't know your celiac. If you are postive and diagnosed then all your family members need to be tested, it is genetic. If the diet helps you there may be a need in the future for prescription meds, not all are gluten free and your doctor may not write 'needs gluten free' on the script if he doesn't know you have it. If you are ever hospitalized they won't give you a gluten free diet while there if you don't have a doctor that knows you need it. Please give your doctors office a call Monday, he should be able to just order the lab draw if you have already told him of your digestive issues. While it is a fact that many of us don't show up in blood work most of us do. Even if the number is low. If you are celiac you need to get those who live with you on board as a gluten safe home environment is hard to achieve when everyone else eats gluten and isn't aware of the dangers. Do continue reading here and learning about how to deal with this but do make sure you see your doctor ASAP for testing. It really is important, especially at your age when you are still dealing with school and school lunch rooms. Soooo, go eat whatever you want until the blood tests and any other testing (they usually do an endoscopic exam of your small intestine) is finished. Then when all testing is done you will have had time to gain knowledge about how to deal with the diet. No matter what the results of the tests a gluten free trial is advised to see if it helps. Testing really needs to be done first.

You should go to the doctor and tell him your concerns. Ask him for a celiac panel. You really should get tested before you start doing the diet. There are a couple of really good reasons to test first. Most important is that to know for sure the doctor will want you to go back on gluten for testing. This can make us very ill if we have already gone gluten free. There are many related autoimmune diseases that your doctor will want to watch out for, he can't do that if he doesn't know your celiac. If you are postive and diagnosed then all your family members need to be tested, it is genetic. If the diet helps you there may be a need in the future for prescription meds, not all are gluten free and your doctor may not write 'needs gluten free' on the script if he doesn't know you have it. If you are ever hospitalized they won't give you a gluten free diet while there if you don't have a doctor that knows you need it. Please give your doctors office a call Monday, he should be able to just order the lab draw if you have already told him of your digestive issues. While it is a fact that many of us don't show up in blood work most of us do. Even if the number is low. If you are celiac you need to get those who live with you on board as a gluten safe home environment is hard to achieve when everyone else eats gluten and isn't aware of the dangers. Do continue reading here and learning about how to deal with this but do make sure you see your doctor ASAP for testing. It really is important, especially at your age when you are still dealing with school and school lunch rooms. Soooo, go eat whatever you want until the blood tests and any other testing (they usually do an endoscopic exam of your small intestine) is finished. Then when all testing is done you will have had time to gain knowledge about how to deal with the diet. No matter what the results of the tests a gluten free trial is advised to see if it helps. Testing really needs to be done first.

i know but can it be possible to be only alergic to milk and have the same side effects as gluten does to your body?because that would be such a lifesaver

ravenwoodglass Mentor
i know but can it be possible to be only alergic to milk and have the same side effects as gluten does to your body?because that would be such a lifesaver

What you are possibly dealing with is an intolerance not an allergy. With an intolerance our bodies build antibodies to the offending substance and that is what does the damage. It is much more likely, and I know you are really not going to want to hear this, that you are having problems right now with both. There has been quite a bit of research on the gluten and casien (milk protein) free diets being helpful for people that have been effected by the Autism spectrum. You may want to google and read a bit on it.

There are of course folks that are intolerant only to milk but it is much more common that folks be intolerant to both at first and then many are able to add dairy back in after they heal.

You should have testing done and then after testing drop both gluten and dairy foods for a bit and then after you are feeling better add dairy back in and see if any issues come back.

Do get testing done though first. If you eliminate the stuff you suspect your body will stop making antibodies and when they test your blood there won't be any there to find. Thus you will get a false negative.

What you are possibly dealing with is an intolerance not an allergy. With an intolerance our bodies build antibodies to the offending substance and that is what does the damage. It is much more likely, and I know you are really not going to want to hear this, that you are having problems right now with both. There has been quite a bit of research on the gluten and casien (milk protein) free diets being helpful for people that have been effected by the Autism spectrum. You may want to google and read a bit on it.

There are of course folks that are intolerant only to milk but it is much more common that folks be intolerant to both at first and then many are able to add dairy back in after they heal.

You should have testing done and then after testing drop both gluten and dairy foods for a bit and then after you are feeling better add dairy back in and see if any issues come back.

Do get testing done though first. If you eliminate the stuff you suspect your body will stop making antibodies and when they test your blood there won't be any there to find. Thus you will get a false negative.

i hate scientificly explenations that always makes me realise things that i dont whant to realise anyway think im only able to start this diet on monday

i feel so stupid but i dont have a choice to eat gluten products until theres an non-gluten food its like i poisen myself after all those days that i skip morningdinner and 12 a clock dinner but its the best that i dont skip the evening dinner sinds i still need me vitamines or whatever its supposed to be

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Hi, Alien,

While it is good advice to avoid processed foods, I'm not sure it's an absolute necessity for you at this point.

It IS an absolute necessity to avoid everything made from wheat, rye, and barley, if you have celiac disease or gluten intolerance.

I agree that you should at least get a blood test before going gluten-free.

I eat Kraft mayonnaise, and I am fine. I believe all frozen potato products made by Ore-Ida (including tater tots and french fries that you bake in the oven) are gluten-free. So, yes, you can have french fries and mayo--but only if you make them at home. If you get french fries at a restaurant, they will almost certainly be fried in the same deep frier where breaded things are cooked.

Fritos are a processed food--but the only ingredients are corn, oil, and salt. So they are gluten-free. Guittard dark chocolate chips are gluten-free, too. Those two foods were what got me through the gluten cravings during the first two weeks of the gluten-free diet. I wouldn't tell anyone just starting a gluten-free diet to avoid them unless they had a specific sensitivity to any of the ingredients.

I do agree with the above posters, though, that the healthiest foods are those that are processed the least.

It sounds like you need suggestions on what to make for each meal? Why not post a thread with that specific question? I bet you'd get tons of suggestions!

Archived