This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Temptations

MollyBeth

MollyBeth Contributor

I'm just days into my Gluten Free Diet. This is day five to be specific and it's been going well. I found a store that has a huge selection of gluten free products...including some pretzels that I actually like better than when I was still a member of the Gluten world....and I know some would say it's too soon to tell but already I am more regular in my bathroom visits and I don't have D everyday anymore...My joints haven't been getting random pains! Suprsingly I haven't really even missed to much....that is until today at work. Someone had a birthday and there was the most delightful buttercream cake. Ofcourse, I didn't take part but I did look at it and mourn the loss. I also realized that the hardest parts are yet to come. Like the first time I go out to eat with a group of friends. I know you guys have all been through this so I guess I'm just feeling a bit sorry for myself. I will add though that even though I was mourning the cake and did want to partake...the road to recovery is proving to be the only motivation I need to stay away.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

You did great, stay positive. There will always be those days when you get tested, this was your fist big test and you passed with flying colors. Keep up the good work.

We do mourn gluten, there is a mourning process for most of us. I mourn every year at holiday time, all the wonderful foods on tv ads, patients bring us treats at work, other doctors sending foods, all the parties...yet, I always get through it and so will you.

Keep up the good work!!!!

ShayFL Enthusiast

You did a great job!!

What has helped for me is to view anything with gluten to be contaminated with RAT POISON. Some use a DOG POOP analogy. Whatever might be effective for you is good. Im not goin near rat poison......

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I cope by making sure I have some of my favorite gluten free mixes and stuff at home. When I see something that looks really yummy I go home and make a safe version. Gluten Free Pantry makes some great cake mixes that are quick to make and easy to jazz up and their french bread mix makes really good pizza. One of my new favorites is Tom Sawyer flour mix, it makes the best scalloped potatoes. If they give you advance notice at work when someone is having a birthday or whatever perhaps you could bring in a treat for yourself.

Green Eyes Rookie

You did it - you got thru a major challenge!!! Wee Whoo

If there is something special with food going on around me, I take a treat of my own. To feel like I'm a part of things I usually choose a chocolate treat!!

Jennifer

spunky Contributor

Good for you.

The more time goes by, the better I feel, and the better I feel, the more yummy stuff looks... but I just stop and remember the pathetic image of myself doubled over in the bathroom... and all the other things that went along with that... then the goodies don't look so good anymore.

THere was a gastro who said publicly he thought celiacs should think of gluten as rat poison, and avoid it just the same... can't think of his name... was it Murphy or Murray or something? Anyway... that's kinda scary advice, but good... would you want the cake, donuts, pizza, whatever, no matter how good it looked and smelled if the chef told you he'd put rat poison in there??? LOL... that oughta mess up the desire somewhat too.

I think there is a phase where you must mourn and feel sorry for yourself... I do think that's a legitimate stage... I remember crying in the aisle of the store a few times... it's good to get out of that phase, but I really believe it's a normal part of this and important to go through it, work through it, and then, by the time your health is back good and steady and dependable (maybe 2 years gluten free), you have such appreciation for good health you can rise above the feeling sorry for yourself part and just go on and be grateful you found out what was making you sick.

I know it doeesn't work that easily for everybody... but in my own experience, I needed to go through a certain amount of self-pity, work through it, and then when my health just turned around for me I never looked back again. All I have to do now when something looks good is remember some of those past experiences... definitely not worth the few seconds it takes to eat the stuff. Waking up and feeling human, positive, confident, ready-for-the-world every day... it's just an awesome thing and there ain't a donut or cake in the world that can compare!

ang1e0251 Contributor

You are AWESOME! You wanted it but resisted it for your own wellbeing. You deserse a little pity party! It's a breakthrough moment when you resist & whenever you are tempted again, you can remember that moment and know if you did it then, you can do it again. I agreee with the advise of take your own goodie. When I have Death by Chocolate, everyone drools over MY food. Very good feeling...

I also agree with the rat poison, dog poo advice. I use poison ivy. It's not only a good visualization for you, it explains to your servers at restaurants how little gluten can hurt you.

You're going to be fine, you have the strength and fortitude to be a Celiac Goddess!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular

Bake a cake for yourself...you deserve it! A fantastic and easy cake. I use a sorghum blend flour but white rice blend works great too. This cake is good with or w/o frosting.

Open Original Shared Link

Freeze some for an emergency, like a party at work, if you know ahead of time you can take some with you or have some to look forward to when you get home. Keep a tub of Pillsbury frosting in the cupboard too(I freeze frosting often). I like to bake the cake above in an 8x8" pan, then make 2 jumbo or about 5 regular sized cupcakes with the extra batter. I freeze them and give them to my dd. She likes peanut butter chips in hers. I add about 3/4 cup of choc or p.b. chips to the batter.

GFqueen17 Contributor

it gets easier the longer you are gluten-free. i have been gluten-free for almost three years now and i rarely am tempted to eat something with gluten. of course there are times when i am still tempted...like the other day when i went to brueggers with my friends...i wanted a bagel so bad! but usually if i see something that i really wish i could eat i just imagine how good it would taste and remember that i am much, much better off without it.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
it gets easier the longer you are gluten-free. i have been gluten-free for almost three years now and i rarely am tempted to eat something with gluten. of course there are times when i am still tempted...like the other day when i went to brueggers with my friends...i wanted a bagel so bad! but usually if i see something that i really wish i could eat i just imagine how good it would taste and remember that i am much, much better off without it.

I think I've done a good job of sublimating my desires. Using the example above, when I'm at work and someone toasts a bagel and I can smell it, I don't wish I had THAT bagel. I wish I was at home where I could toast MY gluten-free bagel. I don't want THAT gluteny piece of cake, I want to bring my OWN gluten-free piece of cake, with my favorite marshmallow-cream cheese frosting. I walk past a pizza place and it doesn't even faze me, since my pizza is so much better than that delivery, rubbery, greasy pizza I used to get. My calzones are even way better! SO THERE! I just wanna yell at the restaurant, your food sucks!

purple Community Regular
I think I've done a good job of sublimating my desires. Using the example above, when I'm at work and someone toasts a bagel and I can smell it, I don't wish I had THAT bagel. I wish I was at home where I could toast MY gluten-free bagel. I don't want THAT gluteny piece of cake, I want to bring my OWN gluten-free piece of cake, with my favorite marshmallow-cream cheese frosting. I walk past a pizza place and it doesn't even faze me, since my pizza is so much better than that delivery, rubbery, greasy pizza I used to get. My calzones are even way better! SO THERE! I just wanna yell at the restaurant, your food sucks!

I would love your pizza and calzone recipes...OK??

At least gluten-free cooks know what is in their food and who makes it!!!

MollyBeth Contributor

Thanks so much for all your support and ideas!! I'll certainly be looking into making that cake Purple. Thanks for the recipe! It sounds like the perfect weekend project... Before my only plans were laundry and bathing the dog! :)

purple Community Regular
Thanks so much for all your support and ideas!! I'll certainly be looking into making that cake Purple. Thanks for the recipe! It sounds like the perfect weekend project... Before my only plans were laundry and bathing the dog! :)

You are sooo welcome. Its easy and my favorite cake!

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
I would love your pizza and calzone recipes...OK??

At least gluten-free cooks know what is in their food and who makes it!!!

I use Whole Foods BAkehouse for pizza, or Chebe, and Chebe cheese mix for calzones. You just gotta be careful rolling out the dough and make extra sure there's no holes!

purple Community Regular
I use Whole Foods BAkehouse for pizza, or Chebe, and Chebe cheese mix for calzones. You just gotta be careful rolling out the dough and make extra sure there's no holes!

Thanks for the info. Darn...we don't have a Whole Foods...but I saw it advertised on T.V. the other day! All we have is a co-op with about 6x6' of gluten-free items and few here and there. Nothing fancy but the prices. I can't order Chebe but one day I am going to...it sounds like the perfect thing!!!

Archived