This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Drinking With Celiac Disease

LandonL

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

I've been drinking Bonterra wines. Usually white. I love red wines, but they don't love me.

Also will have vodka occasionally

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Leper Messiah Apprentice

I think I was quite lucky in that cider was my tipple before I realised that gluten was causing a problem! Then again if I'm drinking a lot, I struggle to see the difference - maybe dehydration apart. It still rips through my system like gluten after a session.

Once I'm a few more months down the line of Gluten-freedom I guess I might introduce alcohol and see but I figure I'm still repairing myself from the gluten binges of yesteryears.

I'm sure most folk can handle a few gluten-free tipples though no probs, as with anything you just need to find your break-even point and what you're comfortable with. B)

fnord Rookie

I know someone officially diagnosed with Celiac who is very sensitive to wheat products (bread, pasta, etc) but is able to have a couple beers occasionally without any bad effects. I'm a big beer lover (or was) and I'm facing the reality that I just can't drink it anymore. The last beer I had was about a week ago - had half a bottle and within minutes felt that terrible bloating and lay in bed with hot flashes unable to sleep. Felt terrible. I've even been homebrewing my own beer for the past few years. No more. :(

Like all the others have said - wine, rum, tequila. I drink red wine several times a week with no ill effects. There's a gourmet market in my town that sells a sorghum based beer (don't know the name). Twelve bucks for a six pack! I might give it a try once just for fun, but I'm not hearing great things about these alternative beers on the forum here.

Maura Newbie

I used to be a beer drinker and have tried some gluten free beers. I don't really like the taste of Redbridge, I find Green's quest more tasty but less available. I like hard cider ... Woodchuck is sweet ... Strongbow is more dry ... cider is becoming more available in bars and restaurants I find. Occasionally I'll have white wine. I don't seem to have any problems with any of the above. Although I think I absorb alcohol more quickly now and need to watch my quantities! Anyone else noticied this?

mattathayde Apprentice

im not huge on beer but redbridge is ok. i like mixed drinks more so that is pretty easy, crow royal and jack are both gluten-free, all rum should be unless it is spiced with something that has gluten in it

here is a link to a list https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/lofivers....php/t8360.html dont think this was posted here yet but i am tired and to lazy to read the whole thread

wood chuck hard ciders are all gluten-free, be aware that mikes lemonades are gluten-free in the product according to tests but they are bottled on shared lines so they cannot be guaranteed. i dont think i really had issues with them but i also dont drink more than 1 or 2 drinks at a time

-matt

CeliacNJ1984 Newbie

I have been recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease and am feeling overwhelmed. I am constantly worrying that I am ingesting gluten without realizing it.

I had given up alcohol prior to being diagnosed, but realizing that beer was the culprit I now want to enjoy some alcoholic beverages.

Lately I have been drinking red wine without any issues. I guess my concern is when I go to the bar and order a kamikaze shot, margarita or something. How do I know they are using gluten-free products? Usually, the bar scenes are noisy so it is not like I will have the oppurtunity to discuss being gluten-free with a bartender.

Any helpful tips?

I have been trying to compile a list of gluten-free alcohol brands.

GFMM88 Newbie

I really like Redbridge because it feels so normal to drink a beer, and hard alcohol is a lot harder on my stomach (non gluten-related). I am very interested to hear that no one seems to have ever had a problem with wine. A few months ago I read that many wines (especially European, but some American) are stored in flour-coated barrels. I believe one person mentioned a specific problem with Yellow Tail. I now stay far away from all wine, but it was one of the only things that I was truly very sad about having to stay away from on the gluten-free diet. If everyone has been drinking wine successfully, I would like to return to it. I am extremely sensitive and do not want to risk getting sick from gluten-free wine contaminated in flour-coated barrels. Does anyone know anything about this? Has anyone had a problem with wine they considered to be gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sickchick Community Regular

I used to drink Frey Organic wines (white & red table wines) they are yeast and sulfite free. Fined with Bentonite clay. Vegan & Vegatarian friendly

Open Original Shared Link

I quit drinking a few months ago, it just feels weird now . I lost my 'taste' for it too I guess. And I LOVE WINE, it just doesn't love me HAHAHA :lol:

lovelove

mattathayde Apprentice
I really like Redbridge because it feels so normal to drink a beer, and hard alcohol is a lot harder on my stomach (non gluten-related). I am very interested to hear that no one seems to have ever had a problem with wine. A few months ago I read that many wines (especially European, but some American) are stored in flour-coated barrels. I believe one person mentioned a specific problem with Yellow Tail. I now stay far away from all wine, but it was one of the only things that I was truly very sad about having to stay away from on the gluten-free diet. If everyone has been drinking wine successfully, I would like to return to it. I am extremely sensitive and do not want to risk getting sick from gluten-free wine contaminated in flour-coated barrels. Does anyone know anything about this? Has anyone had a problem with wine they considered to be gluten free?

a reason to just start making your own, or at least to make mead ;)

-matt

Gemini Experienced

Yellow Tail red wines are absolutely, unequivocably gluten free. So are the vast majority of wines out there. I don't know why people have a hard time with this one. My husband and I drink Yellow Tail quite often, meaning every week, and I have never had any problems whatsoever with it. I was end stage, life threatening ill at the time of diagnosis and would know if I ingested the smallest amounts of gluten. I can't remember the last time I was glutened.

I wouldn't worry too much about wine. Many people have posted here about this and the vast majority have never had a problem. I have also talked with owners of vineyards around me and they have never heard of the flour paste

thing so it may be a regional thing and it's not used around here. With the amount of different wines I usually drink on a regular basis, I would have been glutened by now if wine were such a big worry. I can't speak for any other booze because I only drink wine.

weluvgators Explorer

I am one that has intermittent problems with wines that I have drunk, so I am pretty selective about which wines I will drink. They have been fairly low grade reactions, and I haven't done enough experimentation and research to identify what exactly I am reacting too..

But, I am THRILLED that my Jameson Irish Whiskey tested negative for gluten. I had put off testing it for fear of learning something I didn't want to know!

Let's Party!! :D

mattathayde Apprentice
I am one that has intermittent problems with wines that I have drunk, so I am pretty selective about which wines I will drink. They have been fairly low grade reactions, and I haven't done enough experimentation and research to identify what exactly I am reacting too..

But, I am THRILLED that my Jameson Irish Whiskey tested negative for gluten. I had put off testing it for fear of learning something I didn't want to know!

Let's Party!! :D

i bet your body is just telling you that you need to drink high quality alcohol, not that it has gluten in it ;)

-matt

Liveenjoylife Apprentice

I know what you mean. I use to love drinking any kind of beer, not all the time, but when I did it was well worth it. It's a pitty not being able to drink beer any more. So, I just continue to drink wine. Its a good substitute imo. :P

GFMM88 Newbie
Yellow Tail red wines are absolutely, unequivocably gluten free. So are the vast majority of wines out there. I don't know why people have a hard time with this one. My husband and I drink Yellow Tail quite often, meaning every week, and I have never had any problems whatsoever with it. I was end stage, life threatening ill at the time of diagnosis and would know if I ingested the smallest amounts of gluten. I can't remember the last time I was glutened.

I wouldn't worry too much about wine. Many people have posted here about this and the vast majority have never had a problem. I have also talked with owners of vineyards around me and they have never heard of the flour paste

thing so it may be a regional thing and it's not used around here. With the amount of different wines I usually drink on a regular basis, I would have been glutened by now if wine were such a big worry. I can't speak for any other booze because I only drink wine.

That's the exact answer I was looking for. I will try wine again. Thank you.

• 5 months later...
dermotron Newbie

Hi all,

What do mean by hard cider? Never heard of the term. Cider to me has always been cider i.e. fermented apples.

Ive never had any problems with cider (except for hangovers :blink: ) and also same goes for spirits. Ive recently started drinking sorghum based beers which are great as I enjoy the change! Id never have a casual cider but a casual beer is quite nice to have.

In Ireland, Bulmers Cider(Magners abroad) is probably the top selling brand over the last few years and is by far and away the nicest mainstream cider available. Its also the only one available on tap.

I do enjoy a whiskey or scotch now and again and Im glad to know that they are gluten free as I was slightly apprehensive about this.

Regards

D

larry mac Enthusiast
Hi all,

What do mean by hard cider? Never heard of the term. Cider to me has always been cider i.e. fermented apples.

Hey D,

I'm no cider expert, but I believe "hard" cider contains alcohol, plain cider does not. Perhaps it's an old local term.

best regards, lm

lovegrov Collaborator

larry mac is right. Plain old cider isn't fermented and has no alcohol. Hard cider has alcohol. At least that's the way we refer to them in the U.S.

richard

tmbarke Apprentice

I thought it was the rum I had the other nite that caused a reaction of being glutenized - but after reading this, I wonder if it was the RC.

does anyone know more about the mix than the alcohol?

I switched to Ingelnook blush boxed wine without a problem (hearing boxed is safer due to flour paste seals on barrels in some wineries)

But now I'm thinking.........was it the castillo clear rum? or the mix?

Lisa Mentor
I switched to Inglenook blush boxed wine without a problem (hearing boxed is safer due to flour paste seals on barrels in some wineries)

I have never seen any substantial source to support this theory.

Sometimes, ya never know what can make you feel ill. I react to red wine with beef, as does my non Celiac husband, but it's not a gluten issue.

Alcohol serves as a solvent in your body. It can be very harsh on a compromised digestive system.

mbrookes Community Regular

I have not had a problem with anything except gin. Vodka, bourbon, wine, scotch are all OK I really do like Red Bridge beer, but no bars or restaurants around here carry it. I can only buy it at the store for home. Do the bars/restaurants carry Red Bridge where y'all are?

Skye-N Newbie

I used to work in a "beer bar" with rotating kegs from micro-breweries until I got diagnosed. I started craving beer really bad after quitting, even though I never drank very much. I would occasionally have a glass of red wine but it's just not the same when the weather is over 100 degrees. I've been working in Yosemite this year and after talking to the Curry bar manager, he ordered Redbridge beer (which he could get through his distributor & was priced the same as a cheap domestic beer). I was so happy to be able to have a cold beer on a hot day like the normal people. He said that he got a really positive response from other gluten intollerant people who were visiting the park. :D

I've also tried Bard's beer which is relatively easy to find in stores.

It's good to know about the flour in wine barrels. I have never had a reaction from wine but I almost always drink wine from small, organic wineries.

I also love cider (or hard cider as we call it in the US). In England, Scotland & Ireland the pubs have it right on tap and I love it. I haven't seen it on tap here yet but one can often get it in a bottle. I have seen some with gluten ingredients added, so it's good to always read the label first.

I don't drink any distilled grain alcohols because I had a reaction from an herbal tincture in grain alcohol, so maybe I'm just super sensitive.

My Celiac doctor says that I should only drink in moderation (which is what I do) because of the exsisting damage to some of my internal organs. Perhaps that is why so many other people are extra sensitive.

kera87 Newbie

I love white zinfandel, riesling, vodka cranberry or sprite, and gin and tonics :) I've only had redbridge once and didn't like it. Does anyone know another beer I could try that is lighter? (i loved bud light)...it has to be something that would be in stores, i live in NJ. Thanks!

Archived