This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

High Fructose Corn Syrup

no-more-muffins

no-more-muffins Apprentice

The more I read about dietary changes I need to make the more I worry about other food additivies and ingredients. I have been reading a lot about HFCS and I think it is bad stuff. Do you guys stay away from it? What brands of BBQ sauce, worchestershire and ketchup don't have it?

Why is this country so messed up regarding food and nutrition? We are all killing ourselves with the things we eat and most people dont' even know it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

FMcGee Explorer

Hi! Yeah, HFCS kind of makes me gag. So does really high-sodium stuff. I don't each much BBQ sauce or ketchup, but you might try Annie's Naturals. I've also just started making my own salad dressings and that kind of thing, because I read the ingredients list on the Kraft stuff I usually get and turned a little green.

The thing is, I think most Americans do realize they're treating their bodies terribly and not doing themselves any favors, but there's an awful lot of "it can't happen to me" out there. Also, it isn't as easy as saying "This food is unhealthy so I won't eat it, and I'll eat that instead." People eat garbage for all kinds of reasons, many of them emotional and/or financial (and/or apathy, it's true) and turning the ship around is harder than watching a Today Show segment on eating right. That said, I think it's vitally important to continue to educate people about all the benefits of healthy eating and exercise, and also to work on figuring out how to make healthy eating less expensive. I spend an arm and a leg at the grocery store because I essentially only shop in the produce section, but if I had a kid or something I wouldn't be able to afford to do that.

oceangirl Collaborator

YES! It's ghastly! Read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" Michael Pollan- every American should read it if you want to know what you're eating and what we've done with "modern" agriculture. I eat local whenever possible...

lisa

FMcGee Explorer
YES! It's ghastly! Read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" Michael Pollan- every American should read it if you want to know what you're eating and what we've done with "modern" agriculture. I eat local whenever possible...

lisa

One of the quotes I actually live by is Michael Pollan's: "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants."

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I removed it from my diet over 1 year ago. Bad stuff.

Roda Rising Star

In my opinion it is no worse than regular sugar. Have you ever seen how they process that? I watched a show on it's production very interesting. Some people can tolerate some things better than others. Everything in moderation. If it makes you feel bad then you are doing the right thing by avoiding it.

Open Original Shared Link

OptimisticMom42 Apprentice

I agree that HFCS is really bad and I prefer not to eat it. But (there's that big Butt again) right now I'm having such a hard time with my other intolerances that this preference is low on my priority list.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

FMcGee Explorer
In my opinion it is no worse than regular sugar. Have you ever seen how they process that? I watched a show on it's production very interesting. Some people can tolerate some things better than others. Everything in moderation. If it makes you feel bad then you are doing the right thing by avoiding it.

That's very true. Regular sugar is also totally empty calories and has the same effect on blood sugar and whatnot. I think some people don't do well with corn products in general. For me, I think it's more of a psychological reaction to seeing a whole bunch of Frankenfood ingredients on a label. I try to get my sugars from fruit and the complex carbohydrates in whole grains. No one's perfect, of course (I LOVE cereal) and everyone has to do what feels right to them.

Do any of you use Splenda? I have people all around me swearing by it, so I'm curious. I sometimes drink Diet Coke with Splenda and it tastes pretty good, but I rarely have soda at all.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast
The more I read about dietary changes I need to make the more I worry about other food additivies and ingredients. I have been reading a lot about HFCS and I think it is bad stuff. Do you guys stay away from it? What brands of BBQ sauce, worchestershire and ketchup don't have it?

Why is this country so messed up regarding food and nutrition? We are all killing ourselves with the things we eat and most people dont' even know it.

I took HFCS out of my diet last spring. Annie's has a good BBQ, Heinz came out with a low sugar ketchup that does not have high fructose corn syrup. There's also great recipes to make your own! I always thought I was being glutened by sweet baby rays. Come to find out I am sensitive to the HFCS. I can get away with just a tiny bit but not alot.

FMcGee Explorer
I took HFCS out of my diet last spring. Annie's has a good BBQ, Heinz came out with a low sugar ketchup that does not have high fructose corn syrup. There's also great recipes to make your own! I always thought I was being glutened by sweet baby rays. Come to find out I am sensitive to the HFCS. I can get away with just a tiny bit but not alot.

I have the exact same reaction to Sweet Baby Ray's. I think that's what got me to give up HFCS in the first place. I need to find a good alternative, because my boyfriend loves barbecued chicken more than just about anything (and I agree that it's good, but I've kind of lost my appetite for it after SBR's made me sick). I'll give Annie's a try and see how that goes.

larry mac Enthusiast

It's not even a consideration for me. I just look for wheat, barley, and rye. That's it. Everything else I eat if it's something I like. I use real, honest to GOD sugar, splenda, and agave nectar. I don't pay any attention if something has HFCS.

Can't get enough cheese, milk, sour cream, corn and corn products (Tostidos, Corn Chex, Fritos etc.). All the gluten-free Chex cerials. Eckridge breakfast linkies. Nachos, hot wings, queso, tacos, margaritas.

So far, my gluten-free diet has worked well for 32 months. Funny thing is, my last physical revealed my cholesterol numbers better than they've ever been my whole adult life. Of course, what would one expect not eating fried everything, gravy, pizza, double cheeseburgers, donuts, and all the other stuff I use to eat daily. :D

best regards, lm

FMcGee Explorer
It's not even a consideration for me. I just look for wheat, barley, and rye. That's it. Everything else I eat if it's something I like. I use real, honest to GOD sugar, splenda, and agave nectar. I don't pay any attention if something has HFCS.

Can't get enough cheese, milk, sour cream, corn and corn products (Tostidos, Corn Chex, Fritos etc.). All the gluten-free Chex cerials. Eckridge breakfast linkies. Nachos, hot wings, queso, tacos, margaritas.

So far, my gluten-free diet has worked well for over 33 months. Funny thing is, my last physical revealed my cholesterol numbers better than they've ever been my whole adult life. Of course, what would one expect not eating fried everything, gravy, pizza, double cheeseburgers, donuts, and all the other stuff I use to eat daily. :D

best regards, lm

First of all, your dog is completely adorable.

Some people have strong stomachs, and I'm jealous. I never have (can't eat red meat or drink alcohol either), and I've always been jealous of people who can eat whatever! Enjoy on my behalf as well!

darlindeb25 Collaborator
In my opinion it is no worse than regular sugar

I think HFCS is much worse than sugar, even though I do not use either. I do use Splenda, which is made from sugar. I like it and have stopped using Nutrasweet, Equal, and such.

FMcGee Explorer
I think HFCS is much worse than sugar, even though I do not use either. I do use Splenda, which is made from sugar. I like it and have stopped using Nutrasweet, Equal, and such.

This is something there's been a lot of debate about lately. It depends, I think, on how you're measuring "worse." Some of us have bad reactions to it, but the studies looked more at things like caloric impact and effect on blood sugar levels, which worked out to be about the same (though no one is advocating its use - but we also need, as a society, to watch our sugar intake). In fact, honey has the same effect on blood sugar and a bit more on the waistline. HFCS grosses me out in a way sugar doesn't, though. Maybe I'll give Splenda a try.

no-more-muffins Apprentice

Here's a recipe for BBQ sauce from a friend's food blog

They also have a bunch of great sauce and salad dressing recipes.

oceangirl Collaborator

Actually fructose is different from sucrose and many people have difficulty digesting fructose. (well-documented) Of course, all carbohydrates are broken down into simple sugars in digestion.

There is no need for the amplification of sugar value that "high fructose corn syrup" creates. There is a reason it is ubiquitous in marketing. Look into it; it's pretty eye-opening. On the other hand, everything in moderation is my mantra and I don't believe we need to consider sugar as an enemy- just in the manner it's being exploited by our food industry. Again, Michael Pollan's 'The Omnivore's Dilemma" or even "The Secret Life of Plants"- pithy reads!

Take care,

lisa

tarnalberry Community Regular

Due to it's glycemic effects on me (worse than straight sugar), I tend to avoid mass quantities, but I don't worry about getting a little.

Roda Rising Star
That's very true. Regular sugar is also totally empty calories and has the same effect on blood sugar and whatnot. I think some people don't do well with corn products in general. For me, I think it's more of a psychological reaction to seeing a whole bunch of Frankenfood ingredients on a label. I try to get my sugars from fruit and the complex carbohydrates in whole grains. No one's perfect, of course (I LOVE cereal) and everyone has to do what feels right to them.

Do any of you use Splenda? I have people all around me swearing by it, so I'm curious. I sometimes drink Diet Coke with Splenda and it tastes pretty good, but I rarely have soda at all.

I have two diabetic neighbors that I like to bake things for. I bought some splenda to use in baking. They seemed to enjoy the baked goods, but I found the aftertaste it left in my mouth discusting. My mom thought the same thing. I have been enjoying honey, which I used to dislike when I was younger. I still use regular sugar and such.

EDIT: For the things I do consume with HFCS in it is not a problem for me. I would rather take my chances with it than the splenda. Heaven forbid I develop diabetes. If so I probably would stick with natural sweetners like agave nector or stevia.

lizard00 Enthusiast
I have two diabetic neighbors that I like to bake things for. I bought some splenda to use in baking. They seemed to enjoy the baked goods, but I found the aftertaste it left in my mouth discusting. My mom thought the same thing. I have been enjoying honey, which I used to dislike when I was younger. I still use regular sugar and such.

I find Splenda to be nasty, too. But I think that pretty much all artificial sweeteners taste fake and I don't like any of them... just me. :P I'd much rather have regular sugar over the fake stuff. I also find I don't eat as much, since regular sugar doesn't have the sweetness that the artificial sweeteners do.

To whoever was looking for BBQ sauce... I tried the Annie's and wasn't crazy about it. It's not bad, but didn't taste like what I thought BBQ should taste like. We recently found some at Whole Foods called Daddy Sam's and it was great. Even says gluten free right on the side of the bottle :)

larry mac Enthusiast

FMc, I thank you on pheobe Buffay's behalf. She is adorable. We have a new one, Penny Lane. Looks like a smaller version of Phoebe. She was a stray that we took in. Long amusing story involving five puppies.

OG, my admiration to you for making me look up "pithy". Was pretty sure what it meant, but had to check. I love rarely used words.

Funny thing about artificial sweeteners. They taste different to people. My wife likes the pink & blue ones, and not the yellow one. I'm just the opposite. Even when I'm making coffee for her, and put that pink stuff in, I get that invisible dust in my nose and yikes, it's bitter. Same with my first wife. Her fav drink was gin & tonic. I could not abide a drop of that tonic (quinine water), again bitter.

Has anyone tried the sugar alcohols products, like Sun Crystals, made with raw cane sugar and Erithritol? Very good IMO, but expensive. It passes the "lick your finger and put it in the sweetener test" (for me).

best regards, lm

FMcGee Explorer
Funny thing about artificial sweeteners. They taste different to people. My wife likes the pink & blue ones, and not the yellow one. I'm just the opposite. Even when I'm making coffee for her, and put that pink stuff in, I get that invisible dust in my nose and yikes, it's bitter. Same with my first wife. Her fav drink was gin & tonic. I could not abide a drop of that tonic (quinine water), again bitter.

I think a lot of things are like that. For instance, to me, carrots taste like death and I can hardly choke down dark chocolate, or black coffee. I don't even have that much of a sweet tooth, so I think the issue is more about bitterness than about needing more sugar; I don't really like coffee no matter what's done to it and haven't had any in a long time. Oh, and all alcohol tastes only like alcohol to me. I can't detect any nuances. Wine and gin taste the same. I also haven't had alcohol in years, because there's really no point when it all tastes like the stuff used to sterilize hospital equipment.

To me, those pink and blue sweeteners just taste like pure chemicals. So does Diet Coke that isn't sweetened with Splenda (but I rarely drink it anyway, and expect it's something you're used to or you're not).

Archived