nauseatingnancy

Pots And Pans?

Rate this topic

OK, so we are new at this and I was just wondering, for cooking and baking, does my family need to get a whole new set of pots and pans? My mom and I are gluten free but my father and brother aren't. Is it okay too cook with the same pots and pans as long as they have been properly cleaned? And if so, what is the best thing to clean them with?

I can't use the same pans. When my daughter visits, I have a pan for her to use. Any scratches in a pan can collect gluten, doesn't matter how well you wash the pans. I am super sensitive, may not be the same for you. she uses seasoned salt on all her meats. If I use the same pan, doesn't matter how well I clean it, I get sick. It's not a teflon pan, but the one I use daily is. I bought it just for me. It all depends on the person, and how sensitive they are. My old aluminum Club sauce pans, I still use, with no problem. No one else has used them for 7 years though, just me.

Most quality pots and pans can be cleaned sufficiently. But of course, any scratched teflon might transfer previous gluten. A separate toaster is a must.

I found it easier to make everyone gluten free for the most part. I am the primary cook. On occassion, I will cook regular pasta for my family or company. I clean the pot well afterwards and have had no problems. Generally, it's all gluten free and no one complains. :)

I kept my good quality stainless steel and glas pans, but any scratched, especially teflonpans, went out the door. I keep one stockpot for my husbands glutteny pasta, and one cast iron skillet for his eggs. If your pans are good quality and not scratched up, you should be able to keep them.

At first I tried to cook gluten free for me and "normal" for everyone else. After a couple of months of being glutened every other day, I gave up and the whole house went gluten free. As it turns out, we found out by accident that my husband is also a celiac (when he drank beer for the first time after being gluten free for 2 months!), and that both kids are at least gluten intolerant if not celiac as well.

We bought new pots and pans, a new toaster, a new stoneware liner for the Crockpot, new cookie sheets, new cutting boards, new measuring cups, etc, etc. Replaced anything with scratches, anything plastic....well, you get the idea.

Good luck!

JoAnn

Thanks everyone. We tried to have the household go all gluten free and my dad is ok with it, he will eat anything put in front of him but my brother is on his own diet so...I'm not super sensitive but my mom is, that's why I was wondering. We went ahead and bought some new pans today. It's so weird, like all this stuff I wouldn't normally think of, we have to think of because it's risky. This is taking a lot of getting used to. :huh:

You do have to develop new habits, but once you've gotten through that phase it gets so much easier.