frogrun

Does Anyone Feel Anxious After Eating Gluten?

Rate this topic

I'm still really new to this gluten free lifestyle so I need some help. Does anyone feel anxious after eating gluten? I

• Upvote 1

Yes, I do get anxious after eating gluten. Not every time, but often. Sometimes comes after D, sometimes before, rarely without any D at all. It's like my brain goes ADHD and everything makes me a bit nervous or cranky. I make bad decisions - or no decisions at all. Luckily the anxiety doesn't usually last more than 36 hrs or so. And 8 or 12 hrs in I usually realize what's going on and can anticipate a bit (like, focus on very discrete tasks).

I get really bad anxiety after a glutening. I get shaky and what my fiance calls "crazy-eyed".

Anxiety was actually the symptom my doctor saw that caused her to test for celiac, oddly enough.

I accidentally got glutened on Sunday at breakfast (restaurant) and spent the entire day reading in bed. I was exhausted, irritable/cranky, anxious, and didn't want to be around humans (lol). My fatigue and anxiety usually last for 4 days, getting a little better each day (I'm at about 80% today).

Yes, anxiety has been described as being related to celiac disease and I've read a lot about people experiencing anxiety after being glutened. Everyone seems to get better at a different rate depending on their level of sensitivity and I hope you feel better quickly :)

Jillian

I'm still really new to this gluten free lifestyle so I need some help. Does anyone feel anxious after eating gluten? I

Thanks everyone...that puts my mind at ease. It's nice to know that I'm not alone. I'm feeling better...I would say about 75% better...and my hope is that I wake up tomorrow and the "crazies" are gone!

i get really anxcious shaking cant sleep im on tablets for anxciety but dosent help

I was an anxious mess during my gluten challenge. Not sure if it was the wacky symptoms that cropped up or anxiety in itself. I use passionflower.

Our gut hosts the same neurotransmitters our brain does. GABA is involved in anxiety and is also in your gut. 

On 9/9/2009 at 4:14 PM, summerteeth said:

I get really bad anxiety after a glutening. I get shaky and what my fiance calls "crazy-eyed".

Anxiety was actually the symptom my doctor saw that caused her to test for celiac, oddly enough.

Its really funny to read this right now because I just now joined the forum and its because I'm feeling so anxious at the moment.

There was a hurricane warning this afternoon so the family had to camp out at a nearby Buffet.

Big. Mistake.

I barely ate anything at all-actually got chastised for so much wasted food- and even then somehow some way I can't fathom, between ribs, rice, corn, spaghetti sauce, and ice cream I ate gluten. 

The ammount of self-directed-anger I feel when this happens is reflective of how messed up my mind gets. Its incredible how skewed my perspective becomes after a glutening. Everything is darkness, problems are blown way out of proportion, my anxiety is unbelievable, and I get heart palpitations allong with tremors. The worst is feeling my brain-im being serious here-swell. Slowly but surely right after the allergic dry couph goes away the vice like grip of a headache sets in and doesnt go away for about 3 days. I now know its inflamation. 

But anyways no its totally normal. 

Edited by EReyes