Googles

Need To Vent

Rate this topic

I just need to vent so I'm posting.

It makes me so mad when people who do not know about celiac disease and its challenges go and say that it isn't a big deal. I was at church on Sunday and was explaining why I needed to have communion special for me. One person popped into the discussion and said that it was sooo easy to be gluten free because there are more gluten free foods than there used to be. I agree with the premise that there are more foods that are gluten free and that it is easier to be gluten free than it has been at any other time. However, it infuriates me when they then go on to say that makes it "easy". I'm sure it will get easier for me as it goes on, but I have only been diagnosed for three months. I am still learning what I can and can't eat when it comes to foods that are not plain. I feel overwhelmed when I go to the grocery store and can't do very much shopping at one time. (I never liked grocery shopping in the first place) I find that the food costs more. I tried to find gluten free "bread crumbs" at the grocery store the other day so I could put it on my chicken, as I haven't had anything on my chicken in three months. But I couldn't find any. It is little things like this that make it hard. Not necessarily that things aren't labeled (though I never have time to shop during that M-F 9-5 period when I could easily find out). People went out after young adult group the other week, but I felt I couldn't because they were going to a sandwich restaurant and I didn't know anything about it. (I just recently moved). I just hate it when they tell me it should be easy for me. They don't know my life, and they don't know what I have to do and how careful I have to be. As if as long as I buy gluten free (which is apparently easy) I won't have any other issues or problems with it. I have been living on apples and peanut butter the last week. I would love to have the time to make everything from scratch, but that isn't realistic since I'm in school. I don't have money to spend on things! Why can't people just be supportive. I feel like people just want to treat it like it is no big deal. Maybe they should try it for a while and see how hard it is.

AAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I am sorry you are frustrated ATM. I know the feelings you feel. Being in school at the same time and trying to figure out your diet of what you can and can't eat is very difficult. I enrolled for this semster but only went to school for the first month becuase it got very difficult to keep up with everything. Some people don't understand how an idividual stuggles with celiac. Everyone is different. I give you so much props for doing this on your own. I'm happy that you still hv the independence to go out and mingle with some people. Maybe if the next time someone who doesn't know much about celiac you could educate them a bit? I told one of the ladies at my figure drawing class and she was so sweet she bought me a cake mix that she came across that was gluten free. I also know this older man that has Celiac too and he said that it wasn't a big thing for him to switch his diet. But for me personally I'm stuggling with the diet and some of the side effects. The more I read the forums the more I know that people are going to react differently to celiac. I try to take all in with a grain of salt. There are gonna be people who may not be able to sympathize with you because they don't understand or just hv a differnt mind frame or experience and it's ok:) it's hard to hear when people don't get it but it's ok :) you are doing the best you can with what you hv and I give you props:)

Indeed! Although I am lucky in that there are several stores here that sell gluten-free products, we do have additional food allergies and I find I often have to send away for special food. It does get very expensive.

I find myself getting annoyed on nights where we are at the dance studio all night. So much fast food and takeout around there. But none of that for us. There is even a grocery store that sometimes has safe food but we never know when they might have it. There is one safe restaurant but they are slow and expensive. Very good food though! So we often have to bring our dinner and hope there will be a place to sit so we can eat it.

In fact, dining out seems to be our largest hurdle. We do know of safe restaurants, but we get sick of eating the same thing all the time. And then there are special occasions where the birthday (or whatever) person wants to eat at a place where nothing is safe for us.

Or the school things where they are having pizza or cupcakes or other stuff my kid can't eat.

However, in the overall scheme of things, I guess everyone has their own problems. Other people who don't have food issues likely do have other issues that I don't have to deal with. But somehow the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence.

If you can find a gluten free bread mix (I use Pamelas) you can make your own bread crumbs. I personally don't eat the bread. I slice it and dry it in the oven and then put it in the food processer and I have bread crumbs. I store them in the freezer. If I want seasoned bread crumbs I just mix in a little salt, pepper and italian seasonings and it works great. My hubby makes is old favorite chicken parmesan with them and it tastes great and the whole family loves it too. I can be very challenging at the beginning. The frustration will pass as you get more familiar and comfortable with the diet.

I started gluten-free just one month after moving clear across the country so I understand the double whammy that that is. I felt that I literally started my whole life over from scratch. Finding this forum was a big help but I also joined a local support group a few months in and that was helpful too-with grocery shopping, local doctors etc.

I would think going to college in a strange town is incredibly hard with your food plan. I want to offer some alternatives for your food and I think you can find them in every basic grocery. They are not gourmet but are food when you need something fast and can't cook.

Keep on hand, canned tuna, canned chicken & canned beef. You can eat them out of the can with a fork if you must and time is short. It's better nutrition than just fruit and PB. It is a litttle more pricy than cooking your own meat but not that much.

Dinty Moore Beef Stew is gluten-free. I keep one in my shop in case I'm without other choices. Corn tortillas are cheap and versitile. You can pop them in the toaster, fry them in a skillet and layer them. You can eat them in place of bread even for PB & J or bases for pizza.

Cheese is another protein food that's very versatile. Chunks with grapes, between tortillas for quesadillas, and just string cheese for a between classes snack.

You shouldn't be starving yourself because you don't have easy access to gluten-free foods. Naturally gluten-free foods are the best anyway. Eat beans, meat, rice, potatoes, vegetables and fruits. All natually gluten-free and many are available precooked and canned. Check the labels and you're off.

Maybe you couldn't find bread crumbs but how about using Rice Chex crushed with some spices? I actually use instant potato flakes for breading.

As far as eating out, it wouldn't hurt to check out the restaurant your friends went to in case you're invited again. And how about offering a different choice in restaurant that you already know you can eat at?

It is infuriating when people don't get it but you know, I didn't get it either before I lived it. I don't think others really can get it. So stop expecting them to. You alone are going to get and live it. So you have decide what kind of attitude to have. I realized I was going to face family, friends and strangers every day who wouldn't understand what my life was like and when I let it get to me, I was the one who felt like crap but they went on their happy way. I wasn't satisfied with that. I decided not to let it get to me and I'm a lot happier for it.

You're just starting out and have the pressures of school on top of it. It will get easier, I promise. If you have a local support group, it can really mean a lot to see others with something in common. Of course, keep coming here. You can vent anytime you like.

Certainly everyone on this forum knows it's not easy! Yes, it's easier now than over 10 years ago when my son was diagnosed, and there are more gluten-free products available.

Do you know about these grocery shopping guides? They list mainstream products (Kraft, Heinz, Kroger, Hormel, etc.) by category (soups, chips, dressings, spaghetti sauce, etc.)

Check them out, I bought the Cecilia

Youv'e come to the right place for some good advice. I'm retired with all the time in the world to cook and it still wasn't easy in the beginning. I promise you, it will get easier, though. I bread my chicken with a mix of 1/2 instant mashed potatoe flakes and 1/2 cornmeal, plus whatever herbs and spices you like. Roll in egg, rol in that mix, and fry away. I rarely shop at the health food store -too pricey. I shop mostly at the grocery and an Indian store where I can get flour much cheaper. You will find ways to keep your belly full and safe (and healthy). Keep reading what the other celiacs do and you'll be fine in no time. Do you have a kitchen? Or are you at the mercy of a meal plan? Good luck!

cooking is expensive and time consuming, but we need to do it. My recommendations for cutting down the time/cost:

Cook 2 lbs ground beef all at once and put in a covered bowl for the week that way you can scoop a little out and add it to your dinner for the night.

Throw a cheap cut of pork meat into a crock pot with a bag of mixed veggies and frozen onions and a bunch of rice or big cuts of potatoes. Freeze half the next day. Soup for 2 weeks.

Shimmel: equal parts cooked ground/diced meat, frozen veggies, starch (potato, rice) Salt, pepper, seasonings. 10 minutes stove time, and you have dinner & lunch. Hubby and I get creative with this one. (Mexican, Thanksgiving, Italian, Indian, Omlettes)

Make a big, big batch of rice at the beginning of the week. Refrigerate and scoop out what you need as the week goes on.

Remember that rice pasta is just rice and maybe you can substitute rice in dishes you would normally use pasta. (spagetti?)

Eggs are cheap and fast.