Caniac

Newly Celiac, Questioning Diagnosis

Rate this topic

Hi,

I am a newly diagnosed Celiac (about 2 months ago). Just this week, I have discovered I have gallstones as well as had an attack of very severe pain. Is it just coincidence that the two health issues arrived at basically the same time in my life, or is it something else? Could the celiac disease actually just be symptom of the gall bladder disease, and maybe I am not celiac at all? Before being diagnosed as celiac, I was having no symptoms. No pain, bloating, indigestion, etc., so it was a real stunner when I was told I am celiac.

How were you diagnosed? There are plenty of people that are suprised by the diagnosis because they say they did not have symptoms. Alot of those people also, after being gluten free for some time, realize that some of the everyday things that they thought were normal have improved. Sure it could be a coincidence that both gave you problems at the same time, or not, but at least you know.

Often it comes the other way around. People have problems with their gall bladder, some even have the gall bladder removed (unnecessarily sometimes) and they they are diagnosed with celiac. The two conditions often go in tandem.

How were you diagnosed? I didn't present with typical celiac disease symptoms, aside from anemia. I had vaso-vagal syncope episodes (fainting) and even seizures. There are many people who have few or no symptoms, but ingesting gluten damages their body just like anyone else with celiac disease.

How were you diagnosed? I didn't present with typical celiac disease symptoms, aside from anemia. I had vaso-vagal syncope episodes (fainting) and even seizures. There are many people who have few or no symptoms, but ingesting gluten damages their body just like anyone else with celiac disease.

Sorry to hijack, but I just have to ask: Is vaso-vagal syncope a symptom? My mom has this, and has been tested for celiac. Negative so far, but her vitamin D level just came back low (19), despite the fact the she LOVES the sun! Just curious.

I have these fainting episodes when I get an extreme gas attack causing severe pain below the breastbone. This is the only link I am aware of to my gluten intolerance. My doctors told me it is due to pressure on the vagus nerve. I get all the typical pre-warnings of sweating, ringing in the ears, visual disturbance, etc.