This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Immediate Is Adverse Reaction When Mistakenly "glutened"?

KRP78

KRP78 Newbie

I just started my gluten-free diet a few weeks ago, and I think that I was mistakely "glutened" for the first time last night. However, I didn't feel immediately sick; it wasn't until this morning that I had intense discomfort in my stomach and intestinal distress. Do people have delayed reactions like this, or is it likely that I was just reacting to some other food I had had for breakfast?

Thanks for any insights!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

As with many things, it depends entirely on the person. Some people feel that they react virtually immediately, but I think you'll find that most folks don't. My reaction is generally at least several hours after the suspected event (suspected because I NEVER purposely eat anything with gluten) and sometimes as much as 18 hours.

richard

gaingus Rookie

I agree with Richard. A lot of it has to do with the individual. On the most part for me, it is usually around 8+ hours until I have any kind of reaction. I suggest keeping some sort of log of what you eat so if it happens, i have the possible idea if when and what it was. It comes in really handy when going to restaraunts.

Jestgar Rising Star

I know within minutes.

KRP78 Newbie

Thanks everyone. And great idea about keeping a log!

• 3 weeks later...
StacyA Enthusiast
As with many things, it depends entirely on the person. Some people feel that they react virtually immediately, but I think you'll find that most folks don't. My reaction is generally at least several hours after the suspected event (suspected because I NEVER purposely eat anything with gluten) and sometimes as much as 18 hours.

richard

Can I assume that it generally takes a few hours because the autoimmune response begins in the intestines, not the stomach? After all, it takes a little while for the food to make it down there... (I'm still learning this stuff). - Stacy

ciavyn Contributor

StacyA - you make a good point, which would explain why I was miserable last night, but couldn't pinpoint why. I have yet to figure it out, but I wonder if it was from the night before.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I know something's up after about 2-3 hours.

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

It's about 6-8 hours now, but in the beginning I would feel like I had gotten gluten randomly even though I knew I hadn't.

Jestgar Rising Star
Can I assume that it generally takes a few hours because the autoimmune response begins in the intestines, not the stomach? After all, it takes a little while for the food to make it down there... (I'm still learning this stuff). - Stacy

If your body has learned to produce antibodies to gluten, it can happen anywhere in your body, at any time after exposure to gluten.

ciavyn Contributor

Another thought - I just talked to a friend who's been doing the gluten-free lifestyle for several years. I explained to her that I had a typical glutened reaction last night: bloating, severe gas and diarrhea, sharp pain in my small intestines. But I'll be darned if I can figure out where it came from, as I ate only things I made at home. She suggested that often your body is in detox mode in the beginning, trying to get rid of all the junk in the intestines and trying to heal, so sometimes it's going to react to things that aren't really an issue for you. It is part of the healing process.

Mskedi Newbie

I get a little gut-ache very soon after ingesting gluten (it's the same gut-ache I got after eating every meal of my pre-gluten-free life), but the bad stuff doesn't start for about four hours. Sometimes it's over in a day, sometimes it hangs around for several days. No fun.

momxyz Contributor

unlike my daughter, my only presenting symptom was a rash that had all the hallmarks of DH. ( I never pursued an official DX, but the rash, which had persisted for months, has been resolving nicely since going gluten-free)

I had a couple of "exposures" over the holidays. One was entirely accidental; the other.... well I admit I was pushing the envelope. In the first case, I experienced itchiness in the area of the old rash within 18 hours. (thank God for Gold Bond Cream) in the second instance it was more like a day and a half later - same thing - itchiness. I suspect the difference in timing was related to the "dose".

Fortunately I only got one small new blister. And fortunately New year's is being celebrated at my house!

amberlynn Contributor

I *might* start feeling a little tired after a few hours, but it doesn't hit til the next morning. Without fail, if I get glutened, I'll get up feeling awful the next day.

I'm trying to figure out what my problem is today... I'm hoping its just something simple and not a glutening...

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

20 minutes. Yep, I'll be running to the bathroom, my tummy will be having a loud talk with me, I get sleepy and I start needing to drink a ton of water. Headache follows, may last a few days. Takes about 4 days before I feel better.

StacyA Enthusiast

I just got cross contaminated AGAIN yesterday. I accidentally used a spatula for my food that my husband was using in a pan of gluteny perogies for my boys. I tried to scrape away anything the spatula touched. I felt a little queasy while I was eating, but it may have been nerves because I was aware of the cc possibility. I only ate 7 bites.

2 hours later I was vomiting.

So far, 2 hours is when symptoms first show up with any strength for me.

mysecretcurse Contributor

Within minutes, if not instantly. I can feel it within minutes, the skin reaction takes an hour or two.

SchnauzerMom Rookie

I'm sure how long it takes for me, a couple hours maybe. I usually get acid stomach and sharp stabbing pains in the stomach and then it moves to the intestines with sharp stabbing pains there. If it's bad enough I get constipated and I have been known to throw up too. I'm working on being as strict as possible, don't enjoy the side effects.

GFmomof2 Newbie

I have been gluten free for 7 months now and I accidently ate some cross contaminated food last night while out with the kids. Normally when this happens I can tell within minutes becsuse I get really nauseated. Last night I thought I was fine because that didn't happen but it hit me like a mac truck this morning, with a migraine headache, nausea, body aches, brain fog and loss of energy. NEVER AGAIN. Normally I am really, really careful as the longer I am gluten free the more severe the reactions are. I will just start keeping safe snacks in my purse from now on. I was thrilled to read all the common reactions that everyone was posting about as well because I don't normally get the "typical" gluten sensitivity reactions that you read about in books. I feel alot better now knowing I am not the only one with these reactions.

Archived