This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Relieving Stomach Pain

mle321

mle321 Newbie

I was curious if other people have found relief when accidentally glutened - I get pretty severe abdominal pain and an upset stomach - has anyone found an over the counter remedy that alleviates pain after the damage has been done?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jststric Contributor

Not really, but I do take a daily supplement of acidophilus and if I suddenly feel I'm having issues I take a second supplement at the end of the day and it seems to help it all pass quicker

jenngolightly Contributor

I use Maalox to stop the severe cramping. It doesn't help with other gi issues, but the cramping eases. Sometimes it takes 2 doses. - I keep a bottle at work. :-)

Martok42 Rookie

What always helps me is a heat pack. the hotter the better, it really relaxes all the muscles and makes the cramps so much less painful.

T.H. Community Regular

Not sure if this would help, but I've read that sometimes, anti-inflammatory foods can help, a little. Fish oil, things high in omega fatty acids, olive oil, pumpkin seeds, vitamin e supplements. Nightshades, and foods high in dairy and sugar, seem to have the opposite effect (you can google anti-inflammatory foods and find all sorts of info. on-line. Just have to wade through it to find the reliable information)

My husband has pretty bad allergies, and was told by his doctor that anything that involves inflammation as part of the 'reaction' can be helped by these types of foods. My hubby started taking these, and it made a huge difference. I've been wondering if it might work for me if I got glutened, ya know?

That said...don't know if it would work for us celiac folk, as we can't really digest well once we've been glutened. But hey, probably wouldn't hurt, yes?

I was curious if other people have found relief when accidentally glutened - I get pretty severe abdominal pain and an upset stomach - has anyone found an over the counter remedy that alleviates pain after the damage has been done?

passionfruit877 Apprentice

Sometimes I get stomach cramps and pain and I use Roliads (one of the mint kinds) and if it is really bad I use heat.It helps relax the muscles. Sometimes I get a really hot shower.

Nor-TX Enthusiast

I take a really hot bath and relax in it for about 20 minutes... the pain is usually gone or at least tolerable. I use Tylenol and Simethicone to help relieve the gas pains.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I take pepto bismal liquid, name brand, for the pain. I do not medicate the D at all.

ShoreGirl Newbie

Thank God Im not alone! Im newer to this whole gluten thing and notice if I eat something I shouldnt it doesnt hit me right away. I get the rash 2-4 days after, feel like theres a cinder block in my belly for a few days, then maybe at about a week or so later the real pain starts! The abdominal shooting pain is almost unbearable. You think you have to go to the bathroom but not much happens just waves of shooting pain and sweats. Is this similar to anyone else?? Does it take that long to get it out of your system? Ive really had a hard time adjusting to all this. Its depressing to not be able to have all my favorite foods and eating out is a nightmare, yet a big part of my social life. It seems no matter how vigilant you are theres ALWAYS SOMETHING that knocks you off track. UGH. :(

• 3 years later...
rdonn Newbie

I use an herbal supplement of Quercitin and Bromelain. It can be found at natural foods stores. I get severe pain that feels like a toothache in my upper stomach and back. The herbal supplement mentioned above helps with the pain and healing. Sometimes I have a really bad reaction and it doesn't work as well for the pain then. I also take Tylenol but am afraid to take ibuprofen because of the warnings about stomach bleeding. I figure if I have ulcers already it may not be a good idea.

• 3 years later...
themicmic Newbie

i wonder what would happen if you drink banking soda. I notice no one brought that up. Baking soda does wonders and has since the 30s. Its used all over the world. Note one reality. the only people dealing with this, and Acid reflux and other intestinal issues, is the usa, and countries that have went all in using Coke products with fake sugar, and all the other products using High fructose.

• 2 months later...
kyflint Newbie

@themicmic baking soda makes you burp a lot but does not relieve pain or bloating, I originally assumed it was another attached k of my heartburn but it didn't help i have tried ranitidine, baking soda, every antacid and nothing. I can't find anything goes to help immediate pain until my new insurance starts up so I can see a doc but everything I have read about this fits perfect

Abreeze Newbie
On Monday, February 01, 2010 at 11:12 AM, mle321 said:

Gluten Aid from CVS or Walgreens

• 6 months later...
Rhotitar Apprentice

This post is ancient but I just had to comment I also get the most extreme pain when I ingest gluten even if it's a little bit more than a cross-contamination accident you can bet that's going to be a level 10 pain. At that point I just want to die or be put under general anesthesia. I don't think any pain reliever would work as this is an inflammatory reaction and I don't think there is a powerful enough NSAID out there that would help at all. One time I had a migraine and had pain from gluten ingestion and took some Percocet for migraines that stuff didn't make a dent in my level of pain. My course of action is to drink water with glutamine as it increases healing and laying down as it reduces my pain substantially. 

• 10 months later...
Annz Newbie

Two or three drops of organic peppermint oil in water usually eases my stomach pain quickly. In fact, I keep a bottle of the mixture in the fridge, so I can have relief without having to mix it every time. This treatment was recommended by my doctor.

• 2 weeks later...
Goofer Rookie

i found Peppermint Tea and heatpack works for me my usually last 1-2 days its horrible that feeling of it coming and trying to remember what i ate to cause it.

• 4 weeks later...
Dsjd1979 Newbie
On 10/28/2016 at 8:37 PM, themicmic said:

i wonder what would happen if you drink banking soda. I notice no one brought that up. Baking soda does wonders and has since the 30s. Its used all over the world. Note one reality. the only people dealing with this, and Acid reflux and other intestinal issues, is the usa, and countries that have went all in using Coke products with fake sugar, and all the other products using High fructose.

Baking soda makes me burp then I throw up. Nothing helps me at all. I really need help.

GFinDC Veteran
5 hours ago, Dsjd1979 said:

Baking soda makes me burp then I throw up. Nothing helps me at all. I really need help.

Do you have celiac disease?  How long have you been gluten-free?

If you are bloated, you can try eliminating all sugar and carbs from your diet, plus any milk.  For immediate help, try Peppermint Altoids and Pepto Bismol.

• 3 weeks later...
Louiseceliac Newbie

Im currently not aware of anything for relief. Im waiting a few weeks for the biopsy and have unfortunately had to take alot of days off as am a self employed gardener and cant face physical gardening. Bit worrying. 

Archived