This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Getting A Good Breakfast On The Go!

dhiltonlittle

dhiltonlittle Contributor

hey, i've just recently gone gluten free and seem to be doing ok with food choices except in the mornings. i don't really have time to cook in the mornings so usually (pre gluten free) i'd grab an egg on a bagel at the deli on the way in to work. i'm assuming even if the grill is cleaned and the utensils are cleaned the grill could be kind of sketchy even with just eggs and gluten free bacon. anyway, what are some good options for a breakfast on the go that is filling and nutritious?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hey, i've just recently gone gluten free and seem to be doing ok with food choices except in the mornings. i don't really have time to cook in the mornings so usually (pre gluten free) i'd grab an egg on a bagel at the deli on the way in to work. i'm assuming even if the grill is cleaned and the utensils are cleaned the grill could be kind of sketchy even with just eggs and gluten free bacon. anyway, what are some good options for a breakfast on the go that is filling and nutritious?

whoops! i meant to put this in the "coping with" section.

luvs2eat Collaborator

I make gluten free waffles and freeze them. A few min. in the toaster and a banana sliced or smashed on one w/ the other as a top makes a great "in-the-car" breakfast sandwich. I've also taken rice cakes smeared w/ peanut butter.

AlysounRI Contributor

I prepare two dozen hard boiled eggs for the month - and eat them on weekday mornings.

To that I add a banana, nice and filling and nutritious and with the egg I get my protein.

I was never a breakfast person but those two items do just fine for me.

~Allison

starrytrekchic Apprentice

Do you need it to be outside the home or just quick? At home, cereal, cottage cheese, fruit, yogurt are all quick fixes. Yogurt you could take with you. You could also try gluten-free bars.

If you're looking for something a bit more substantial--you may want to see if there are any gluten free bakeries or delis in your city (if you live in a larger one.) Some fast food chains offer gluten free menus, but the preparation can be sketchy. Burger King lists their egg omelet as gluten free, but you may have to just try it a few times and see how you react--or call the local place and talk to the manager to see about the preparation (you can do this for any place you frequent.)

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

You can buy gluten free waffles at Trader Joe's, Sprouts and Whole Foods. Bananas and a bag of nuts, apples and a hard boiled egg. Make gluten free pancakes on the weekend and microwave for 30 seconds. Eat them while you get ready. You can make scrambled eggs ahead of time and microwave too.

Nemz Newbie

Shaws(Supervalu) sells both Vans and Natures Path gluten free frozen waffles. They can be found in the organic or whole foods areas. I personally find that I like the Natures Path brand more.

Two of the waffles, some peanut butter, and some sliced banana on top of it makes for a nice breakfast. =P That or buttered with some brown sugar and cinnamon.

A poached egg on top of a waffle is great as well, but not quite a quick breakfast.

A pear, apple, nectarine, etc all make for a healthy and easy breakfast.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SGWhiskers Collaborator

My go to is a pint of fruit (strawberries usually), 1/3 a container of silken tofu, a good splash of soy milk & or 100% juice and maybe a spoonful of sugar or honey. Blended at night and poured into a tall glass in the AM. I go for quick and easy and leave the stems on and just blend a few seconds longer. Variations on that theme are with multiple fruits, chocolate protien powder, a blob of peanut butter, no tofu, or pecan bits.

I have a friend who loves veggies in her smoothies.

Reba32 Rookie

get up 15 minutes earlier and cook yourself a proper breakfast. :P

;)

i-geek Rookie

get up 15 minutes earlier and cook yourself a proper breakfast. :P

;)

It's true. It takes about 3 minutes to microwave a bowl of gluten-free oats, and about 5 minutes to fry an egg and spread peanut butter on a couple of rice cakes (two of my standard weekday breakfasts- I'm a grad student with a 30 mile commute to school each morning). I think it would take more time for me to pull off the road and buy breakfast than it does to make something quick and eat it at home. YMMV.

thanks for the suggestions!

i live in brooklyn and work in manhattan. i don't like to eat until i get to work due to the commute (subway) and the usual gi troubles i have after eating (even gluten free). so the wake up a little early option would be nice but is not a reality. only on weekends!

GFLindsey Explorer

Yes, I have never eaten breakfast at home for the same reasons! Can't get stuck in Pittsburgh traffic with GI issues!! I always eat when I arrive to work. Since going gluten-free, I bring a banana and keep a jar of peanut butter in my office. I do keep cranberry Glutino bars in my desk as well. Sometimes I bring little bags of Rice chex (love love LOVE the chocolate kind) to eat. Those are my go-to breakfast items lately.

butterfl8 Rookie

Udi's Lemon Struesel Muffins! 22 Seconds in the microwave, and I'm ready to go. (22 because it's easier to hit the 2 twice than it is to hit 2, than 0!) Udi's also has blueberry. Demand your grocer carry these essentials. :P

Or toast with peanut butter.

-Daisy

bridgetm Enthusiast

To go with GFLindsey's Rice Chex comment, I have a cereal question:

Are Corn Flake's and Rice Krispies safe with Malt Flavoring toward the top of the ingredient list? I almost got Corn Flake's last week and decided not to because I wasn't too sure. Wheat isn't listed under the allergens for either.

Instead I got Corn Pops which has wheat starch towards the bottom of the list. I had no problem with them through the first half of the box, but after a few days of consecutive Corn Pops breakfasts, I had some symptoms.

I did buy some guaranteed gluten-free cereal but every once in a while you just need some Kellog's (maybe it's the Minnesota blood).

chocolatequeen Newbie

Are Corn Flake's and Rice Krispies safe with Malt Flavoring toward the top of the ingredient list? I almost got Corn Flake's last week and decided not to because I wasn't too sure. Wheat isn't listed under the allergens for either.

Instead I got Corn Pops which has wheat starch towards the bottom of the list. I had no problem with them through the first half of the box, but after a few days of consecutive Corn Pops breakfasts, I had some symptoms.

I did buy some guaranteed gluten-free cereal but every once in a while you just need some Kellog's (maybe it's the Minnesota blood).

As far as I understand Corn Falkes and Rice Krispies are NOT gluten free. Malt is an ingredient that is not gluten-free. I would also stay away from Corn Pops which do not appear to be gluten-free either.

i-geek Rookie

I'm from Michigan (home of Kellogg's). None of those cereals are safe for us. Malt flavoring is from barley, which is off-limits. Wheat starch is still from wheat. Off-limits. Stick with the certified gluten-free rice and corn Chex.

bridgetm Enthusiast

Ok, I'll toss that box and do some shopping this week. The gluten-free cereals I've tried so far are pretty good.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

The best investment you can make in your on-the-go breakfast lifestyle is an immersion blender. I got one for Christmas, they usually go for 40 bucks. They're basically a long stick with different blending/whisking attachments that you screw on and take off, and they go inside your tall glass/bowl/pot and blend your liquidy item. Mine plugs in. I pour yogurt, fruit, and a bit of milk into a tall glass, stick the immersion blender in, and 30 seconds later I have a smoothie. Then you unscrew the blender stick, give it a quick wash, and you're done. Faster and WAY easier than a traditional blender. I freakin love this thing. I'm also an 'eat when i get there' person, so I have containers I bring my smoothie/soup/pasta salad/whatever I'm eating for breakfast in. I tend to eat dinner food for breakfast though, keeps me going longer. Chebe rolls are not bad cold. You could make some rollups with pepperoni and sauce, eat them when you get there.

Archived