This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

From Carelessness To Paranoia?

rdunbar

rdunbar Explorer

I've been on a gluten-free diet for @ 3 years (after being told that I have a 'wheat allergy"), have been off of processed corn for a year, and now off of casien, dairy, and trying to avoid cross-contamination ( i.e. resturants) for almost a month. My rather extreme DH on my scalp then started getting better for the first time ever, but then erupted again recently having gotten glutened. Also, My guts really hurt,and have huge anxiety and depression, ect... I have to admit that when i heard about celiac disease a year ago, and learned about corn, i was'nt aggressive enough about learning what I could to get better. I think I was'nt able to really face what was going on, and was avoiding being committed to becoming 100% gluten-free. I was really careless, sure I stopped eating corn chips, but was finding a bunch of ways to get exposed on a regular basis. i knew dairy was bad, but thought I could get away with a little in my tea.I was stubborn I geuss. Now i'm feeling confident that if i take steps to get my lifestyle really gluten-free, i can have a decent life, My DH will get better, and i can be emotionally well, something I believe I have never really experienced.

The problem now is i'm starting to have a backlash to all of my earlier carelessness. i'm starting to get really paranoid. I don't want to shake peoples hands, maybe they just ate a sandwich?I know I'm sensitive enough that just

touching something with gluten will make me react.The brewers yeast I've been using says it's gluten-free and it's grown on beet sugar, but i've been reading some people here have a sensitivity to yeast, so i've phased that out. I try to make my trips to the store a short as possible because i'm scared about breathing in any flour in the air. What about the conveyer belt at the check-out? are my apples and sweet potatoes getting contaminated because somebody just bought some bread ahaed of me in line? It's just now dawning on me that I'm just surrounded by this stuff that is absolutely poisinous to me, and i've been feeling really overwhelmed.

I'm sure I still have a lot to learn about maintaining a truly gluten-free lifestyle, so hopefully my paranoid feelings will serve me and help get me on the right track. What have you gone through in getting settled into a routine where you feel safe and secure about really getting any exposure to gluten cleareed away? any ideas about things i may have overlooked?

I'm really wanting to be committed to doing whatever i can to get better; i had really given up on that ever happening, so i'm starting to get excited that it could happen!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Piano Newbie

Hi, I haven't even gotten my tests yet (waiting for Enterolab test to come) but I have been starting to feel the stress of thinking about all the different things that could be contaminated that I'm touching or breathing in and how am I ever going to be sure that I'm not getting secretly exposed to something I'm intolerant to.

I hope that others here can give you (and me) some support about how they deal with the paranoid feelings and what they've done to get comfortable with getting through the routines of life. It's tough to not want to shake peoples hands or stress about what was on the conveyor belt at the grocery store, or what's in the air, or what did the person using this equipment before me eat? . It makes me think about that movie 'What about Bob.' Funny but not at the same time.

I'm sure we're not alone. Take care.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Your not alone. Getting glutened hurts so of course you want to avoid it at all costs. One thing I do is to make sure I keep my hands away from my face until I get back home. I wash my hands first thing when I walk through the door. I do look to see if there are crumbs on the belt and if there are I ask the cashier to please wipe them off. I also make sure my produce is in something, paper or plastic and of course I always wash that anyway before I eat.

You can't let the fear of being glutened control your life but it is normal for you to be a little overcautious right now I think. As you get more comfortable with the diet and are feeling better things should get better in the paranoia dept too. If it gets to the point where it is overwhelming a counselour may be able to help.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I've been on a gluten-free diet for @ 3 years (after being told that I have a 'wheat allergy"), have been off of processed corn for a year, and now off of casien, dairy, and trying to avoid cross-contamination ( i.e. resturants) for almost a month. My rather extreme DH on my scalp then started getting better for the first time ever, but then erupted again recently having gotten glutened. Also, My guts really hurt,and have huge anxiety and depression, ect... I have to admit that when i heard about celiac disease a year ago, and learned about corn, i was'nt aggressive enough about learning what I could to get better. I think I was'nt able to really face what was going on, and was avoiding being committed to becoming 100% gluten-free. I was really careless, sure I stopped eating corn chips, but was finding a bunch of ways to get exposed on a regular basis. i knew dairy was bad, but thought I could get away with a little in my tea.I was stubborn I geuss. Now i'm feeling confident that if i take steps to get my lifestyle really gluten-free, i can have a decent life, My DH will get better, and i can be emotionally well, something I believe I have never really experienced.

The problem now is i'm starting to have a backlash to all of my earlier carelessness. i'm starting to get really paranoid. I don't want to shake peoples hands, maybe they just ate a sandwich?I know I'm sensitive enough that just

touching something with gluten will make me react.The brewers yeast I've been using says it's gluten-free and it's grown on beet sugar, but i've been reading some people here have a sensitivity to yeast, so i've phased that out. I try to make my trips to the store a short as possible because i'm scared about breathing in any flour in the air. What about the conveyer belt at the check-out? are my apples and sweet potatoes getting contaminated because somebody just bought some bread ahaed of me in line? It's just now dawning on me that I'm just surrounded by this stuff that is absolutely poisinous to me, and i've been feeling really overwhelmed.

I'm sure I still have a lot to learn about maintaining a truly gluten-free lifestyle, so hopefully my paranoid feelings will serve me and help get me on the right track. What have you gone through in getting settled into a routine where you feel safe and secure about really getting any exposure to gluten cleareed away? any ideas about things i may have overlooked?

I'm really wanting to be committed to doing whatever i can to get better; i had really given up on that ever happening, so i'm starting to get excited that it could happen!

If you are dairy intolerant, then you shouldn't eat dairy, but I don't see what milk would do to gluten you.

As for what I went through to go gluten free, I actually was so sick, weak, and tired that I ate pasta with meat sauce for two meals a day for three months. Relax. You don't have to be a gourmet chef right away. Just eat simple things, and wash your fruit.

You may have over looked colanders, wooden utensils, scratched pans/dishes. Old pb/jelly/margarine/baking soda/rice/sugar containers that something gluteny was dipped in previously, so keep an eye out for old food that you may have dipped into.

jackay Enthusiast

I was very paranoid about cc when grocery shopping. One thing I do is go through the self check out lane so there is less food handling. I put most of my items in the plastic bags found in the produce and meat departments. I scan my groceries without setting them down and then put them directly in grocery bags.

As I am healing and feeling better, I am less paranoid. If I suffer cc issues, paranoia strikes again!

GFinDC Veteran

I don't think I am paranoid about gluten anymore, just cautious. I feed my cat friend gluteny food, but just wash my hands after feeding her. I am thinking of switching her to gluten-free food soon though, just because I think it might be better for her health wise. If she will eat gluten-free is another matter though! Meow!

Don't forget to throw out you old toaster or donate it to the Salvation Army. And check all your vitamins and meds for gluten, even if you have to call the manufacturer on the meds. Pills are often held together by starch, which can be wheat or corn starch.

I am not very willing to try products from shared equipment or facilities anymore. I can live without those items just fine.

Being careful just makes sense. Maybe after a while your paranoia will turn into healthy caution. I think the difference is a little more experience and knowledge.

ianm Apprentice

A little paranoia in the beginning helps to keep you out of trouble. Once you get some knowledge and experience with the gluten-free lifestyle you will find it is not all that difficult.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cleanfreak73 Newbie

I just have one question....why the colander thing? Can't you just wash it like other stuff? Doesn't it get clean enough? I mean does everything have to be separate? I get the dipping with the crummy gluten bread thing but why the colander? Sorry...daughter (married) has it and we're trying to figure out what is paranoid and what is the truth. Her nutritionist said you have to just have common sense but not live in fear, that's not good, is it? She doesn't really get sick either which can be worse.

boysmom Explorer

I just have one question....why the colander thing? Can't you just wash it like other stuff? Doesn't it get clean enough? I mean does everything have to be separate? I get the dipping with the crummy gluten bread thing but why the colander? Sorry...daughter (married) has it and we're trying to figure out what is paranoid and what is the truth. Her nutritionist said you have to just have common sense but not live in fear, that's not good, is it? She doesn't really get sick either which can be worse.

I would say that it is very difficult to wash ALL the tiny edges thoroughly enough to be sure there is absolutely NO wheat starch left on it.

I have not replaced my colanders, however we switched to a gluten-free home, so there is no risk of using the rice noodle colander for the wheat noodles. We did a very careful scrubbing and dishwasher cleaning before using it and if there was some small cc left on it, it's been washed enough times now that it's gone by this time. On the other hand, if you're still doing both kinds of pasta each use will recoat the colander with starch, and we all know how hard that can be to get completely clean.

sa1937 Community Regular

I have already bought a number of things prior to my going gluten free next Fri., April 9 (following endo/biopsy), including my Tupperware colander plus a well-worn set of Tupperware mixing bowls, which I can't believe I'd ever get clean after using them since the 1960's. Also bought a new toaster a couple of days ago. I have a friend who thinks I've completely gone off the deep end. It's my health...not hers. So her opinions don't mean anything to me. ph34r.gif

I may very well be paranoid right away as I turn to this new lifestyle. She also thinks cross contamination is a big joke. Oh well, who cares!!!

jackay Enthusiast

I may very well be paranoid right away as I turn to this new lifestyle. She also thinks cross contamination is a big joke. Oh well, who cares!!!

Yes, cc is a big joke to lots of people. It takes personal experience just to know how serious it is. None of my symptoms got better until I eliminated cc.

If others would educate themselves on this, maybe they'd be more understanding.

sa1937 Community Regular

Some people just don't get it and they probably never will!!! Not everything in life is black and white...the older I get, the more I see a lot of gray. And since I'm not yet gluten free (I can't wait to feel better, especially to get rid of the Big D). I have no idea how sensitive I'll be or possibly become once I get this poison out of my body. Or if I'll have other food intolerances that I don't even yet know about.

She also doesn't understand why I won't ever eat at Cracker Barrel. I have a lot of educating to do...most of my friends aren't so opinionated on subjects they really know nothing about.

Nor do I give a rat's arse as to what people think! biggrin.gif

cleanfreak73 Newbie

Okay I do get the collander thing now. I guess you should have your own if the rest of the household isn't gluten free. I do know what you mean by people not understanding but my daughter's in laws have been very understanding and I sent her mil stuff about being very careful with the gluten in her kitchen not coming in contact with anything she prepares for my daughter when she visits. She even bought her snicker doodles and only makes meat, potatoes and vegetables when they come for dinner.She's one good mil! The father on the other hand was more like"so when do you get over this?" He's better now after his son told him the biopsy WAS positive too. I have to admit everyone (store people) I have told about this were very sympathetic and understanding and helpful. I was trying to find her a gluten free like wine cooler but all the guy at the liquor store could find was malt ones. He then proceeded to call people that might know but there was nothing in the store that came in a small bottle in a 4 or 6 pack. Do any of you know of any? I saw some mudslide things but wasn't sure. She said she's not going to go out and buy a bottle of vodka or something else as she's not a real drinker but did enjoy the Smirnoff coolers once in a while. ;)

rdunbar Explorer

thanks for your input, everyone!

JNBunnie; I was getting exposed to gluten while I was doing catering as a job, and just being aroung it, breathing the air when someone is slicing bread nearby, and cc was glutening me, I stopped doing this, but the real improvement in my symptoms (especially DH) occured when i cut out the dairy, and an amazake rice drink that lists xantam gum as an ingrediant.

I'm feeling pretty confidant about my kitchen being gluten-free, new cutting board, and my pots & pans are stainless steel and pyrex,

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Some of us are very sensitive to trace gluten. We pretty well have to be paranoid to avoid it, and even then it still gets you sometimes. So, realize that some others, even some fellow celiacs might think that you are being paranoid, but know in you own mind that you are just trying to keep yourself from getting sick.

This is how paranoid I am:

I cut out pretty well all processed foods. I do better with European cheese. I hear that their dairy comes from pasture fed cows. You might want to try that after awhile. I love my cheese.

I wash everything.

For grains, I buy whole, sort (to remove gluten grains), wash, dry and grind. For yeast, I use natural yeast, like they use in sourdough bread. I'm careful about produce coatings, and those grown with straw.

It is a good thing that you are no longer being careless and are really working on your health now.

thanks for your input, everyone!

JNBunnie; I was getting exposed to gluten while I was doing catering as a job, and just being aroung it, breathing the air when someone is slicing bread nearby, and cc was glutening me, I stopped doing this, but the real improvement in my symptoms (especially DH) occured when i cut out the dairy, and an amazake rice drink that lists xantam gum as an ingrediant.

I'm feeling pretty confidant about my kitchen being gluten-free, new cutting board, and my pots & pans are stainless steel and pyrex,

Y'know, I got glutened once by sour cream. I bought it at Trader Joe's and for once didn't read the label, thinking, hey, it's just milk in there, right? Wrong. Had cornstarch in it, which was clearly contaminated. Never have I been so annoyed at myself. Amazake also has one product that has gluten in it, the mocha java, so maybe cc was getting you?

Glad you're feeling better!

AutumnSong Rookie

and cc was glutening me,

Sorry, I'm not catching on -- what is cc?

AutumnSong Rookie

I'm careful about produce coatings, and those grown with straw.

What produce is grown with straw?

cleanfreak73 Newbie

don't know about straw but cc is CROSS CONTAMINATION

As far as I know, only strawberries, but it wouldn't hurt to do some google research.

And by cc I mean cross contamination, which is when equipment isn't cleaned well enough in between runs/flavors and you get leftover gluten. Or when gluten-free food touches gluteny food in a shared kitchen. Or when a flour is processed in a mill with gluten flour. That king of thing.

tictax707 Apprentice

Okay I do get the collander thing now. I guess you should have your own if the rest of the household isn't gluten free. I do know what you mean by people not understanding but my daughter's in laws have been very understanding and I sent her mil stuff about being very careful with the gluten in her kitchen not coming in contact with anything she prepares for my daughter when she visits. She even bought her snicker doodles and only makes meat, potatoes and vegetables when they come for dinner.She's one good mil! The father on the other hand was more like"so when do you get over this?" He's better now after his son told him the biopsy WAS positive too. I have to admit everyone (store people) I have told about this were very sympathetic and understanding and helpful. I was trying to find her a gluten free like wine cooler but all the guy at the liquor store could find was malt ones. He then proceeded to call people that might know but there was nothing in the store that came in a small bottle in a 4 or 6 pack. Do any of you know of any? I saw some mudslide things but wasn't sure. She said she's not going to go out and buy a bottle of vodka or something else as she's not a real drinker but did enjoy the Smirnoff coolers once in a while. ;)

Blackthorn & woodchuck ciders are supposedly gluten free...?

boysmom Explorer
I was trying to find her a gluten free like wine cooler but all the guy at the liquor store could find was malt ones. He then proceeded to call people that might know but there was nothing in the store that came in a small bottle in a 4 or 6 pack. Do any of you know of any?

Around here we can buy a 4 pack of wine. I've found it available in reds, whites, and sangria (be careful with sangrias, not all are gluten-free), and even some sparkling wines. Maybe instead of looking or wine coolers you should just go for a light wine.

Blackthorn & woodchuck ciders are supposedly gluten free...?

Woodchuck is definitely.

cleanfreak73 Newbie

Thanks for the cider recommendations. I think I saw those there. She likes Arbor mist, so that is a wine option.Good thing she's not a beer drinker like so many in my hubby's family or in laws fam. I don't know what they'd do?? :unsure:

Archived