This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Diet For Non Celiacs

pumpkin81

pumpkin81 Newbie

I am a recently diagnosed celiac and my boyfriend is wondering if he eats gluten free, would this be bad for him as hes not gluten intolerant or a celiac, I didnt think it would make any difference to him but he was wondering so I thought i would ask. Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jackay Enthusiast

I am a recently diagnosed celiac and my boyfriend is wondering if he eats gluten free, would this be bad for him as hes not gluten intolerant or a celiac, I didnt think it would make any difference to him but he was wondering so I thought i would ask. Thanks

This is such a healthy diet that it would be VERY GOOD for your boyfriend to follow. No one needs wheat, barley or rye or any derivatives of those grains to be healthier.

It would make it so much easier for you if he did go gluten free.

mommida Enthusiast

My husband has been completely supportive of our Celiac. He does not allow any gluten into the house for our safety. He was tested and was negative. He will eat gluten occasionally when he is out of the house and has noticed that he gets bloated and gassy after eating gluten. :rolleyes:

Gluten free has been much healthier than what our diet was before. The only risk, he may find out gluten foods are not good for his system if he tries to eat them again at a later time. :unsure:

i-geek Rookie

My husband eats gluten-free at home except for his beer (although sometimes he drinks my Redbridge). He is free to eat whatever he wants outside of the house but I won't risk having gluten bread crumbs or flour in my kitchen. He doesn't complain at all because 1) I'm feeling so much better from the diet and he can see the difference and 2) we eat better than we ever have before. Oddly for him, he's noticed that his chronic facial rashes mostly clear up until he picks up Subway or similar for dinner. I'm starting to suspect that he has a mild wheat allergy.

Takala Enthusiast

My husband eats gluten free at home. Much healthier diet, very little processed food, lots of fruits, vegetables, salads, nuts, eggs, fish, meats, etc. He eats gluten free cereals for breakfast. I make small quantities of gluten free, fresh breads if we need any, but most carbohydrate needs can be handled by potatoes, fresh corn or corn tortillas, rice, beans, etc. Once you stop thinking in terms of using "bread" as an excuse for not using healthier food, the possibilities open up.

Making things like spaghetti or lasagne with rice pasta and gluten free ingredients, there isn't much difference other than how you handle the cooking/draining of the noodles. I kept a big zip lock bag of gluten free flour mix in the refrigerator for him to grab to use as an all purpose substitute when he wants to cook something and needs "flour," and there's a bag of Pamela's in the freezer, along with a box of that Betty Crocker stuff in the pantry, for treats. (we both cook.)

This is how a lot of people all over the world eat anyway, and in the past, only they don't call it a "gluten free" diet.

Gemini Experienced

There is no reason why he cannot go gluten-free, if he eats a healthy gluten-free diet. I live in a mixed household, just my husband and myself, and anything I cook is always gluten-free and he eats everything I cook and likes what I cook. He does have his stash of gluten food and this can be done very successfully also, if the others are responsible about cc. It's really a choice matter for him but he may end up feeling better if he does go gluten-free or at least, gluten lite!

MagpieWrites Rookie

At home, and for most of his lunches (since I pack them, usually from leftovers!) my non-celiac husband eats gluten free. Only when out with his mom at restaurants, the odd fast food fix, and the rare beer does he eat gluten anymore... heck, when we go to out to eat together he usually eats gluten-free so we can share.

Only change he's experienced?

He's lost about 30+ pounds (which he's pretty chuffed about!)

No problems he's ever mentioned.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

That's wonderful that your boyfriend is willing to eat gluten free. I've never made my husband eat gluten free and have had no problems with cross contamination ect because he is very careful not to gluten me. He probably eats 50% gluten free at home though because its often easier that way than making two separate dishes. He will often have his bread and I will have mine at dinner. I HAVE to live this way, he doesn't so as long as he is careful and follows all the rules, I am good with that. We do have gluten and non gluten free items in their own cupboards and I have my own counter space, it works out nice for both of us.

butterfl8 Rookie

My husband follows a gluten free diet with me. Your boyfriend could always consider this as a non-processed food diet. Which, as WE all know, is extremely healthy! No more nasty preservatives; fresh, whole foods to fill you up instead. Good stuff. And my husband and I have learned the bonus of spending more time together fixing meals together, instead of throwing a box of something or other into the microwave and eating in front of the TV. Much better now. Enjoy!!

-Daisy

drloots Newbie

There's many benefits from going gluten-free but the commitment is very hard if it is voluntary.

Archived