conniebky

All Kinds Of Things

Rate this topic

So today at work we ordered PF Changs. I got Singapore Noodles with chicken and shrimp and gluten-free soy sauce. OMG! Delicious! It was SOOOO nice to eat a hot meal that tasted good.

So, I'm in Kentucky, right? Well, all the jokes you hear about Kentucky aren't all true...but they're close LOL! So after work I went to this store called Rainbow Blossom. It's all about being organic and loving the Earth and karma and yada yada yada.

I got sicker than a dog in there. I don't know what it was! Everyone was acting so strange in there. I think I had a little panic attack or something. Everyone in there was bone skinny and pale and .... weird... It just freaked me out in there, I'm still not sure why.

It coulda been them prices.

$7.69 for a loaf of frozen bread. I asked the guy "do you have gluten-free soy sauce?" He says, "yes, in our gluten free section" I go following him over there wondering why in the world these people think they're healthy...they all looked like they should be in the Thriller Video... he shows it to me, it's TWELVE DOLLARS AND NINETY FIVE CENTS! :o

Turns out, I found the exact same bottle of the exact same stuff over by the condiments for FIVE BUCKS! That made me mad, so now I'm feeling pukey AND mad! And also happy that I found the cheaper one.

Then this ol' goofy cheerleader girl at work (we had a pizza party and I made NO big deal about it AT ALL - I made sure I didn't) goes, "why aint you eating pizza?"

and I go "cuz I'm on a diet, I brought chicken"

and she goes " you aint fat, eat some pizza"

so I go "well, I can't eat pizza, yada yada"

She says "why don't you eat gluten and what's gluten?" I say, "yada yada"

and do you know what she SAID to me?

"Oh, yes, everything in California is gluten free now"

(like she's been to California)

I go, "what do you mean?"

She goes, "it's the latest fad, that's all"

I go, "you've never seen me in anything but jeans, tennies and t-shirts, do you really THINK I follow California trends? She goes, "Well, you followed this one" :o

You all will be proud to know that I did NOT knock her down or even cuss her :) I just thought of all the similar stories you all have posted and ate my chicken and chose to think about other, less annoying things.

Another thing, I don't have that insomnia and jimmy legs anymore :D

My daughter is a nurse on a post-op ortho floor at the hospital. So on my nice, long Holiday weekend, I have to babysit tomorrow from 6:00 AM until 7:30 PM, and the same on Monday :blink:

I was in a stew about it, but I decided to decide that I'm happy I have a happy, healthy family who love and need me as much as I love and need them in my life.

I had a lot of things to get off my chest, huh? LOL. So, how are you all?

Great post! I found the same kind of health store in WV. I about died. There is a reason they are all skinny and pale -- who can afford to buy much food at those prices?! So I'm with you. I'll buy my WalMart and Wegman's gluten free deals and I'll be happy about it! ;)

Your story about the cheerleader at work is really, really funny, but only from a distance. I would have wanted to add something to her pizza. Good restraint!

I had a similar experience, except with a different outcome. My husband told the guys he works with that I wasn't eating gluten. Once of them said, "Oh, yeah. That's really trendy right now!" Since I live in New York City and this guy was in his mid-twenties, he thought I was being hip and cool. Also infuriating, since it trivializes the seriousness of the condition and why I *have to* do this!

On a positive note?: we may be sick, but (I guess) we're trendy.

Most of the really skinny, pale folks in health food stores are protein, iron, and vitamin deficient from incorrect vegan diets.

It's interesting to see how many people are really rude about insisting you eat something. "No thanks" should be plenty of answer. A devilish side of me always wants to ask "Didn't your mother teach you not to be so nosy?" when people question me, but I'm too polite.

Most of the really skinny, pale folks in health food stores are protein, iron, and vitamin deficient from incorrect vegan diets.

It's interesting to see how many people are really rude about insisting you eat something. "No thanks" should be plenty of answer. A devilish side of me always wants to ask "Didn't your mother teach you not to be so nosy?" when people question me, but I'm too polite.

funny that this came up. I live in Kentucky, as you all know. In Kentucky, you HAVE TO eat. It's the nuttiest thing ever. To turn down food here is absolutely unthinkable. Every home you go to, it's "Hi! Getcha a plate!". I don't know why it's like that here, but thankfully everyone around here grows their own stuff, so I can always find something to eat, and that cheerleader little missy ain't from Kentucky anyway or she'd know better. :D

I'm one of the "correct vegans" who protein combines properly and has all of my vitamin and hormone levels checked regularly. I always get questions about my diet and I also get a TON of "I'm sorry you can't have this....." Why are they sorry? I adopted this lifestyle for myself, I'm not expecting them to eat like me! With my kids, it's different. They get a lot of "I'm sorries" as well, but my thought is, "Really, you're sorry they can't have that over processed, trans fat laden piece of crap that's making you unhealthy.....whatever!" I just choose to ignore. Not my problem!

funny that this came up. I live in Kentucky, as you all know. In Kentucky, you HAVE TO eat. It's the nuttiest thing ever. To turn down food here is absolutely unthinkable. Every home you go to, it's "Hi! Getcha a plate!". I don't know why it's like that here, but thankfully everyone around here grows their own stuff, so I can always find something to eat, and that cheerleader little missy ain't from Kentucky anyway or she'd know better. :D

OH man that sounds terrible what I said about the cheerleader, like people not from kentucky don't have manners. that is SO not what I meant, I just wanted to say somethin mean about her cuz she just made me mad again. forgive that please!

and do you know what she SAID to me?

"Oh, yes, everything in California is gluten free now"

(like she's been to California)

I go, "what do you mean?"

She goes, "it's the latest fad, that's all"

I would have replied with something like, "gee, it's a fad not to want to vomit or blow out your intestines on the toilet and then suffer a migraine and joint pain for a month!!! I never knew having a disease was a fad!! If your lucky you won't have to be someone who has to do this 'fad' diet in your lifetime as it is one of the most common diseases in the world and doctors are now diagnosing lots of us"

I think the general population just can't get their head around the fact that something as basic to their everyday life like wheat bread can be a poison to so many.

Glad you were able to handle it well and with a sense of humor. I hope you had fun with the little one. I'm just a bit jealous that you have your loved ones so close to you that they can call on you when needed.

OH man that sounds terrible what I said about the cheerleader, like people not from kentucky don't have manners. that is SO not what I meant, I just wanted to say somethin mean about her cuz she just made me mad again. forgive that please!

Forgiven.

When I moved down south years ago it took me forever to get used to the way ya'all deal with food. One of my boyfreinds would walk to the frig in any home we entered. I thought it incredibly rude but everyone treated it like a really normal thing to do. If I had done that even at a relatives home here in NY my Mom would have backhanded me and I would have been grounded for a week for having bad manners.

I came to really like it down there, folks were so freindly and open. If they had food you were expected to eat and welcomed warmly even if they didn't know you well. I sure do miss 'southern hospitality'. :(

Maybe she could create a cheer for us! Give me a G! Give me a L! Give me a U! etc... What does that spell? POISON!

Forgiven.

When I moved down south years ago it took me forever to get used to the way ya'all deal with food. One of my boyfreinds would walk to the frig in any home we entered. I thought it incredibly rude but everyone treated it like a really normal thing to do. If I had done that even at a relatives home here in NY my Mom would have backhanded me and I would have been grounded for a week for having bad manners.

I came to really like it down there, folks were so freindly and open. If they had food you were expected to eat and welcomed warmly even if they didn't know you well. I sure do miss 'southern hospitality'. :(

Wow! I don't even feel comfortable doing that at my mom's house let alone other people, and she looks at me funny when I ask if I can find something to eat! ;)

Maybe she could create a cheer for us! Give me a G! Give me a L! Give me a U! etc... What does that spell? POISON!

This made me laugh out loud at work. On (a very, very rare) occasion, my husband (who is Superman when it comes to eating gluten-free with me at home) will have a bag of circus animal cookies or a box of Whoppers. I don't really miss them until I see them, but to prevent my habit of just munching on them, he'll write 'poison' on the bag or box, and it makes me laugh.

:D

So, I'm in Kentucky, right? Well, all the jokes you hear about Kentucky aren't all true...but they're close LOL! So after work I went to this store called Rainbow Blossom. It's all about being organic and loving the Earth and karma and yada yada yada.

Hey connieb - are you in or near Louisville? I live there and I'm a part of the celiac support group that meets the 2nd Thursday of each month at Baptist East. Have you been? The website is glutenfreelouisville.org.

As far as Rainbow Blossom goes... you can find most of the same stuff a lot cheaper at Whole Foods, and it's not nearly as creepy. ;) Feel free to email me on here if you need to talk to somebody local. :)