This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Baking Eggs

MelindaLee

MelindaLee Contributor

I am not a very good morning person, so I need quick and easy breakfasts. Before going gluten-free I would have something like the Lean Pocket breakfasts, or breakfast burrittos. I need to figure out a way to do an egg dish I can quickly heat and eat. I am thinking of doing a baked scrable egg kids of thing, but I'm not sure if I need to put anything in as a "binder" for the eggs. I was looking at quiche recipies but all are either in a crust or have flour in them. I know I can substitute, but I thought if I didn't have to, I would rather not. Anyone have any ideas? My thought was to bake them in muffin tins, and freeze. whatcha think? :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sb2178 Enthusiast

Look for a frittata recipe. You'll want something with about a dozen eggs, some cooked vegetables, a big of cheese, and maybe a muffin liner of thinly sliced ham or turkey to substitute for the crust if you dislike browned eggs. You don't need a binder if the recipe doesn't use much milk/cream.

I enjoy them a lot and they freeze well.

purple Community Regular

I am not a very good morning person, so I need quick and easy breakfasts. Before going gluten-free I would have something like the Lean Pocket breakfasts, or breakfast burrittos. I need to figure out a way to do an egg dish I can quickly heat and eat. I am thinking of doing a baked scrable egg kids of thing, but I'm not sure if I need to put anything in as a "binder" for the eggs. I was looking at quiche recipies but all are either in a crust or have flour in them. I know I can substitute, but I thought if I didn't have to, I would rather not. Anyone have any ideas? My thought was to bake them in muffin tins, and freeze. whatcha think? :huh:

Try this recipe:

Open Original Shared Link

I haven't made these for a very long time. I think I used 10 eggs, green onions, ham bits, cheese...and a metal pan. You can cut up/cook the meats/onions ahead of time and store in the freezer until ready to make the eggs. (mine were not as pretty as hers)

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I love the idea of using lunch meat to line a muffin tin. Bacon cups would work. I'd make the bacon cups, drain well then put them into a paper cupcake liner and pour in the an egg mixture. There are lots of crustless gluten free quiche recipes online.

Bacon cups

Love the egg muffin recipe and directions.

cassP Contributor

OMG Purple! that pic of chocolate chips cookies is KILLING ME :blink:

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I know this wasn't exactly what you're asking for but I just hard boil a bunch of eggs to have on hand for easy breakfasts. I eat a hard boiled egg, a banana or apple and some yogurt most days.

purple Community Regular

OMG Purple! that pic of chocolate chips cookies is KILLING ME :blink:

My DD gets the credit for finding me a pic with purple in it. They are the original Tollhouse cookies in the pic. Here is a great recipe though:

I use sorghum, cornstarch and tapioca flours and add nuts sometimes.

(if you very careful place the chips/nuts on top of each cookie yours may look like the pic) (lol)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I put a fritta recipe on my recipe thread, https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/6981-as-promised-a-few-recipes/page__view__findpost__p__630392

You don't have to add anything to make scrambled eggs. I crack 'em into a pan (I use nonstick for eggs), and scramble them with a spatula as they cook. Takes three or four minutes. You can add leftover rice and frozen peas/carrots and gluten-free soy sauce to make fried rice. You can add frozen spinach to make it a more interesting scramble. You can add frozen potatoes o'brian for variety as well. Lots of things to adjust them to being quick and easy. (Why all the frozen veggies? 'Cause it's faster in the morning when you don't have time to dice and fully cook a potato, or to wash and chop a fresh head of spinach.)

bluebonnet Explorer

you can hallow out some tomatoes (if you can eat them) scramble an egg with some s & p and pour it into the tomato topped with some low fat cheese. bake it while you get ready at 350 for 30 min. or less depending on your oven. :)

BethJ Rookie

This isn't a frittata or something you can make ahead and freeze, but it's fast and nutritious. Like you, I always had a type of breakfast sandwich before going gluten-free. One day at the vet's, I noticed one of the techs eating a panini-type breakfast sandwich and I got this idea which is now what I eat almost every morning. I use Eggbeaters but you could use an egg if you want.

Put about 1/4 cup Eggbeaters or 1 beaten egg into a small bowl sprayed with cooking spray. Cover with a piece of waxed paper and microwave on high for about 1:40, turning once half way through. Remove from oven and microwave 2 corn tortillas until hot, about 30 seconds, turning them over half way through.

Place a slice or two of ham or smoked turkey lunch meat on one of the tortillas. Put the cooked egg on and top with a slice of low-fat American cheese. Cover with the other tortilla and heat in the microwave for about 20 seconds until hot.

You can play around with this by using different meats, cheese and even gluten-free flour tortillas.

Neal77 Newbie

Yesterday I tried making a tortilla with Chebe and it came out very good. I made me a bacon & eggs with hashbrowns breakfeast burrito.

MelindaLee Contributor

Try this recipe:

I haven't made these for a very long time. I think I used 10 eggs, green onions, ham bits, cheese...and a metal pan. You can cut up/cook the meats/onions ahead of time and store in the freezer until ready to make the eggs. (mine were not as pretty as hers)

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thank you!

MelindaLee Contributor

I love the idea of using lunch meat to line a muffin tin. Bacon cups would work. I'd make the bacon cups, drain well then put them into a paper cupcake liner and pour in the an egg mixture. There are lots of crustless gluten free quiche recipes online.

Bacon cups

Love the egg muffin recipe and directions.

Cool Idea!! I just might have to try that, even if I don't use it for the egg muffins!!

MelindaLee Contributor

This isn't a frittata or something you can make ahead and freeze, but it's fast and nutritious. Like you, I always had a type of breakfast sandwich before going gluten-free. One day at the vet's, I noticed one of the techs eating a panini-type breakfast sandwich and I got this idea which is now what I eat almost every morning. I use Eggbeaters but you could use an egg if you want.

Put about 1/4 cup Eggbeaters or 1 beaten egg into a small bowl sprayed with cooking spray. Cover with a piece of waxed paper and microwave on high for about 1:40, turning once half way through. Remove from oven and microwave 2 corn tortillas until hot, about 30 seconds, turning them over half way through.

Place a slice or two of ham or smoked turkey lunch meat on one of the tortillas. Put the cooked egg on and top with a slice of low-fat American cheese. Cover with the other tortilla and heat in the microwave for about 20 seconds until hot.

You can play around with this by using different meats, cheese and even gluten-free flour tortillas.

OKAY I am really getting hungry with all this food talk :D I always forget about corn tortillas. I've always preferred flour ones, so I forget they are still an option. Thanks all...you've given me some great ideas and recipies (even the chocolate chip cookies!!! :lol: )

lpellegr Collaborator

Here's something quiche-like and quick. Make it on Sunday and eat it all week.

Vegetables: I thaw frozen chopped spinach, but you can use any cooked veggies you have around.

Cheese: shredded swiss or cheddar or feta or whatever you want.

Meat: Bacon or ham if you have it and want it, if not leave it out.

Grease an 8x8 baking dish or a pie plate.

Spread the veggies evenly across the bottom.

If you have time and inclination, saute some onions or shallots or garlic or leeks and add these. Or just sprinkle with onion powder, etc, or ignore.

Distribute cheese and meat in any combination across the veggies according to your taste.

Beat 6 - 8 eggs with a glug of milk (probably 1/4 - 1/2 cup, I don't measure) and a little salt. Pour over everything else.

Bake at 375 for about 35 - 40 minutes. I will be somewhat browned on top and solid all the way through.

Let it cool, cover it with foil or plastic wrap, and refrigerate.

In the morning, cut it in 4 - 6 pieces. Take out one, microwave, eat. Put the rest back. It will keep all week. I do this all the time and it really keeps me full all morning.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

Another quicky I make at night and reheat in the morning is this:

In a 9x13 pan-spray with cooking spray

Dump in a bag of frozen potatoes o'brian, spread out

Beat 12 eggs

Pour over potatoes as evenly as possible

If you do dairy, sprinke shredded cheddar cheese on top

I like sliced tomatoes on top of that

Season with salt/pepper (I like Mrs. Dash)

Bake 375 till cheese is browning and eggs are totally set in the middle. (45min-1 hour)

Makes 6 good sized portions

If you have a little more time, the possibilies of add-ins are endless!!

Archived