This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Puffed Rice Cereal

Frances03

Frances03 Enthusiast

You'd think they could make something like puffed rice without screwing it up but I can't find any that look safe!! All it is is RICE. I'm just craving it right now, must be the pregnancy. I looked up Natures Path Rice Puffs, they say on their website that they are NOT gluten free due to cross contamination. I looked up Arrowhead Mills, but I've never trusted that company. I looked all over their website for something about it. It's NOT listed under their gluten free products at all. And their website says all their gluten free items will have their special "gluten free symbol". The puffed rice does NOT. This is one of those rare times when having Celiac Disease makes me MAD! Usually it doesn't bother me at all and I just go about my life and deal with it. In fact I rarely even give it a 2nd thought. But right now, I am irritated to death that I cannot find a bag of puffed rice!!! Does anyone know of anything?? THANKS!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I haven't tried this brand yet, but this is one I've seen mentioned on the board: Open Original Shared Link

Frances03 Enthusiast

Yeah I've seen that but that's not really puffed rice, it's more like a Rice Krispies cereal.

Oh, sorry I guess I don't know what puffed rice is then. I thought those cereals were puffed rice.

StephanieGF Rookie

Well, I eat Natures Path Rice Puffs everyday without issue. I realize that it is made on equipment that processes wheat (this company is quite diligent and won't label them as gluten free, where other companies might) but I think the must do a pretty good cleaning job. That said, everyone is different, so who knows how you would react. I do wish someone would make an unsweetened (plain) rice puff that is labeled and tested gluten free, but I do not know of one. Sorry.

StephanieGF Rookie

Oh, sorry I guess I don't know what puffed rice is then. I thought those cereals were puffed rice.

It's puffed rice, but it also has sugars and other stuff added. The OP wants a pure (unsweetened) rice puff. The difference in calories is significant when you add all of that sugar.

It's puffed rice, but it also has sugars and other stuff added. The OP wants a pure (unsweetened) rice puff. The difference in calories is significant when you add all of that sugar.

Thanks. I guess I have never had unsweetened puffed rice. I'm not a big breakfast cereal eater anyway. Is it more similar in texture to rice cakes? I have rice cakes that have "whole grain brown rice" as the only ingredient. I like those sometimes with peanut butter as a snack. OP, would rice cakes help your craving? I also sometimes just eat plain cooked rice for breakfast. I hope you can find something soon or the craving goes away. I had a craving for something I can't have the other day and I'm not even pregnant, but darn it, it was frustrating.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StephanieGF Rookie

Thanks. I guess I have never had unsweetened puffed rice. I'm not a big breakfast cereal eater anyway. Is it more similar in texture to rice cakes? I have rice cakes that have "whole grain brown rice" as the only ingredient. I like those sometimes with peanut butter as a snack. OP, would rice cakes help your craving? I also sometimes just eat plain cooked rice for breakfast. I hope you can find something soon or the craving goes away. I had a craving for something I can't have the other day and I'm not even pregnant, but darn it, it was frustrating.

It's exactly like the cereal you linked to, but nothing added in the way of sugar, salt, "enriched" vitamins, etc. I mix mine with yogurt or use it as a topping for sorbet or frozen yogurt.

Frances03 Enthusiast

Yeah, puffed rice is just sort of light and airy and not really 'crispy'. I always figured those crispy rice cereals were fried, but I really have no idea how they get them crispy, LOL. As for Nature's Path, there is no way I'm eating those. This quote is directly from their website in response to someone asking "is this product gluten free?"

"This is a good question, thanks for asking! Our Rice Puffs are NOT gluten free due to the chance of cross contamination in the separate factory where they are produced. The same is true for our Kamut

kareng Grand Master

I know what you are talking about. I saw a show about China and they make and sell it on the street like a snack. So I looked it up. The rice is cooked under pressure and it pops. You can buy the "popping machines". It seemed like a lot of trouble. Rice Krispy type cereals aren't the same. Kashi made one I liked with honey on it but they are not gluten-free. They could probably make them gluten-free but they told me they use so many different grains, they are not able to keep any of the products gluten-free. If you find something, post it. Maybe a Chinese grocery? Next time I see my Chinese born neighbor, I'll ask if she has seen it around and let you know.

Frances03 Enthusiast

Oooooo Chinese grocery!! Good idea!! I was in one of those recently when I traveled to Colorado and they had a lot of interesting gluten free things!! I bet they might have that!! Thanks, I'll let you know if I find it. I'm sure we have no Chinese store in Montana but I am currently in SLC and maybe there is one here!

MelindaLee Contributor

You'd think they could make something like puffed rice without screwing it up but I can't find any that look safe!! All it is is RICE. I'm just craving it right now, must be the pregnancy. I looked up Natures Path Rice Puffs, they say on their website that they are NOT gluten free due to cross contamination. I looked up Arrowhead Mills, but I've never trusted that company. I looked all over their website for something about it. It's NOT listed under their gluten free products at all. And their website says all their gluten free items will have their special "gluten free symbol". The puffed rice does NOT. This is one of those rare times when having Celiac Disease makes me MAD! Usually it doesn't bother me at all and I just go about my life and deal with it. In fact I rarely even give it a 2nd thought. But right now, I am irritated to death that I cannot find a bag of puffed rice!!! Does anyone know of anything?? THANKS!!

I found some today!!! It was Arrowhead Mills brand. It does not specifically state it is gluten free, though. The only ingredient was Brown Rice. I did google it and found it online to order as well. I found it at Copp's which is the same as Roundy's or Pick N Sav. Though, I haven't seen it before, I might not have noticed either, except I remembered you mentioning it. Good luck finding it. OR, I can always mail you some :lol:

MelindaLee Contributor

I found some today!!! It was Arrowhead Mills brand. It does not specifically state it is gluten free, though. The only ingredient was Brown Rice. I did google it and found it online to order as well. I found it at Copp's which is the same as Roundy's or Pick N Sav. Though, I haven't seen it before, I might not have noticed either, except I remembered you mentioning it. Good luck finding it. OR, I can always mail you some :lol:

I found it at another grocery store today for $1.99 a bag!!! :o

Frances03 Enthusiast

I posted about Arrowhead Mills at the beginning, I'm not sure why they don't list this cereal under gluten free other than it isn't gluten free because of cross contamination. If you happen to call them, post what they tell you. For now, I don't trust it.

RiceGuy Collaborator

I don't trust Arrowhead Mills either. Got glutened by their flours, so that was it for me.

I was looking for puffed millet and amaranth recently, and also didn't find any.

For the puffed rice, suppose you take some rice cakes (Lundberg makes them gluten-free), and break them up? Either by hand, or maybe in a blender of food chopper?

While looking for those puffed grains, I ran into some tutorials on how to puff rice in a pan, so you may want to try that. It apparently can be done in oil, instead of the high pressure method.

• 6 years later...
Mireille Newbie

I'm going to try chunking up some rice cakes to make a great recipe I found for chocolate-peppermint treats. I thought of that on my own, but it just didn't sound right, but the idea of using the food processor to make them the right size sounds hopeful. Even though this thread is six years old, it's still helpful, as I've noted that Kellogg's has discontinued their gluten-free krispies. So sad.

This is my first December gluten-free. I'm going to do my very best, but please wish me luck!

Happy Holidays!

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I use Erewhon brown rise crisp when I make something for the farmers market using puffed rice. Tad expensive but I ran into issues with always some kind of allergen or cross contamination with Kellogg, Barbara, Arrowhead, etc.  If you have to you can order on amazon.

Archived