This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need A Really Awesome Cookie Recipe!

mommyto3

mommyto3 Contributor

I found the best gluten free cookies EVER at a local gluten free bakery but they're so expensive that I can't afford to keep buying them all the time. Compared to these cookies, the packaged stuff is totally gross. My son loves the bakery cookies but at $1 each (not that big either) it's getting a bit ridiculous.

I'd love to learn how to bake a really good gluten free chocolate chip cookie for him. I tried the premade mixes and they are just awful. Does anybody have a really good recipe that I could try?

Thanks!

ps - I'm a bad cook and baker so I need really good instructions :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

I just use my wheat recipe & sub out the flour. Use a good flour blend such as Annalise ROberts, Jules, Meister's, Tom Sawyer are a few of the better ones. Also if you google Lori Kavorlis she has an awesome recipe .... if you can't find it send me a pm & I'll get it to you. I'm on my way out the door right now.

mamaw

bbuster Explorer

Have you ever used Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix? Has a really good, really simple chocolate chip cookie recipe right on the package. The only change I make to it is to use 1/2 butter/margarine and 1/2 Crisco shortening (so for the normal recipe, it's 1/2 stick of margarine and 1/4 cup Crisco). We don't add the nuts because my kids don't like them.

A couple of other tips - if the cookies spread too much, add a little more flour mix next time. Also, I usually just bake 9-12 or so cookies at a time - the rest of the dough I shape into a log, wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze. Then you can take it out any time and slice off dough and bake. The cookies are so much better when they are fresh.

Finally, I put a couple of plain M&Ms on top of each cookie prior to baking them.

i-geek Rookie

These ones from the Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef website are A-mazing. I made a batch over a weekend (dough on Sat morning, refrig, bake on Sun night) last winter and loved them. My gluten-eating husband also loved them, as did my gluten-eating coworkers. I deviated from the prep a bit to make them standard cookie size (about a heaping tbsp dough for roughly 2-3 inch cookies) but you can make them any size to mimic the bakery cookies. It is a big batch, and the cookies store beautifully for months in the freezer. Only thing I'd do differently next time is sub in millet flour for amaranth (I'm not a huge fan of the amaranth flavor in these). These are totally going on my Christmas cookie plates this year.

Open Original Shared Link

scarlett77 Apprentice

Have you ever used Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix? Has a really good, really simple chocolate chip cookie recipe right on the package. The only change I make to it is to use 1/2 butter/margarine and 1/2 Crisco shortening (so for the normal recipe, it's 1/2 stick of margarine and 1/4 cup Crisco). We don't add the nuts because my kids don't like them.

A couple of other tips - if the cookies spread too much, add a little more flour mix next time. Also, I usually just bake 9-12 or so cookies at a time - the rest of the dough I shape into a log, wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze. Then you can take it out any time and slice off dough and bake. The cookies are so much better when they are fresh.

Finally, I put a couple of plain M&Ms on top of each cookie prior to baking them.

I second this! I use Pamela's baking mix (along with the recipe) and I use butter flavored crisco instead of butter. I would highly suggest using it or the 1/2 butter & 1/2 shortening/crisco because it helps to make sure your cookies don't spread too thin. I roll the dough into balls and place on a cookie sheet. I also use M&M's on occasion with this recipe. Another cookie recipe I have tried is the one that comes with the crisco and it is good too (just sub Pamela's mix for flour and omit any baking powder/soda). Not as good as the Pamela's though.

Betty Crocker has a gluten-free cookie mix, but I didn't like it very much.

miles Rookie

Someone else posted this link a while back

I have made them and they are very good

my3monkees Rookie

I just use the one off the back of the chocolate chip bag. I use a flour mix of white rice, tapioca starch and potato starch. Sub it cup for cup, and add 1-2 tsp of xantham gum. The only other change I make is that I use all brown sugar, but I do that even with non-gluten free ones. Chocolate chip cookies are one of the easiest things to make gluten free, I think.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

I made a cookie very similar to this about an hour ago sans chocolate chips. A friend gave me the recipe a week or so ago only she used chunky peanut butter and only 3/4 cup of white sugar. They are to die for...and not a speck of flour in sight. I told her I bet they'd be good with chocolate chips added...or a Hershey's Kiss (I'd need to check the label to make sure they're gluten free as I haven't had any since going gluten free). YUM!

jackay Enthusiast

I made a cookie very similar to this about an hour ago sans chocolate chips. A friend gave me the recipe a week or so ago only she used chunky peanut butter and only 3/4 cup of white sugar. They are to die for...and not a speck of flour in sight. I told her I bet they'd be good with chocolate chips added...or a Hershey's Kiss (I'd need to check the label to make sure they're gluten free as I haven't had any since going gluten free). YUM!

I love these cookies, too. I like them better with all white SUGAR and usually omit the vanilla. They are so quick and easy. My grandkids love them, too!

MelindaLee Contributor

Hershey Kisses are gluten free...I talked to Hershey last week. :D

sa1937 Community Regular

Hershey Kisses are gluten free...I talked to Hershey last week. biggrin.gif

I'm so glad to hear that!!! I am definitely a chocoholic!

mommyto3 Contributor

Thanks everyone! Can't wait to get bakin :D

larry mac Enthusiast

I think the Betty Crocker chocolate chip cookies are awesome. I put extra chips, and lots of pecans. Real butter of course. Refridgerate the dough so it won't overly spread. And I like crispy cookies, so I cook mine longer.

They will not stay crispy unless you store them in heavy duty tupperware type containers. The ones that are kind of expensive, and have the locking tops.

best regards, lm

p.s., also these are real easy for bad cooks and bakers that need real good instructions! :D

• 2 weeks later...
cassP Contributor

OY i just tried these last night, but with almond butter (cant digest peanuts)... and i didnt like them :(

plus i had gastritis moments after eating one- im suspecting the molassess in the brown sugar (too much fructose for me) ???

MelindaLee Contributor

These ones from the Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef website are A-mazing. I made a batch over a weekend (dough on Sat morning, refrig, bake on Sun night) last winter and loved them. My gluten-eating husband also loved them, as did my gluten-eating coworkers. I deviated from the prep a bit to make them standard cookie size (about a heaping tbsp dough for roughly 2-3 inch cookies) but you can make them any size to mimic the bakery cookies. It is a big batch, and the cookies store beautifully for months in the freezer. Only thing I'd do differently next time is sub in millet flour for amaranth (I'm not a huge fan of the amaranth flavor in these). These are totally going on my Christmas cookie plates this year.

OMG these are the best!!! I couldn't wait the full 36 hours, so baked up a bunch after 24 hours. They are GREAT!!! I took the rest and rolled them up into logs. This way I can slice and bake next time. This makes LOTs of cookies! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for sharing! :D (Now I will never lose weight on this diet! ;) )

Reba32 Rookie

I've made chocolate chip cookies with a mixture of almond meal and soya powder. If you can tolerate soya, try these ones, they're yummy :) (I'm also a low carber, and sugar free, as well as gluten-free) I modified this recipe that I found on a primal diet website. I didn't have almond flour, only almond meal, so I had to also use soya powder.

1 1/4 cup almond flour (or 1 cup almond meal, 1/2 cup soy powder)

1/8 tsp baking soda

few shakes of salt

5 tbsp butter

3 tbsp agave nectar (or equivalent other sweetener, I used stevia)

2 tsp vanilla extract

1/3 cup dark chocolate chips

preheat oven to 350F. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Mix the web ingredients in a separate bowl, add to dry ingredients and mix well until combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Spoon batter onto parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 13 minutes, until set and slightly toasty. These will firm up as they cool.

Makes about 12 cookies.

To save $$ I buy whole almonds and grind them myself in the food processor or for a finer almost flour in the coffee grinder.

Archived