This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Caramel Apples

JCastro

JCastro Newbie

So, with Fall rapidly approaching I have been craving caramel apples. I was at Wegman's today and saw some, the company is Tastee. I looked at the package and was excited when there was no wheat flour, food starch, or natural flavor on the ingredient list. I also checked the allergen label which listed peanuts, milk, and soybean. I was excitedly optimistic but wanted to double check online to see if they had anything about gluten free on their website. They didn't mention it and when I clicked on the caramel apple ingredients they listed wheat flour as an ingredient AND listed wheat as an allergen. :angry: I emailed the company and obviously will not be eating the apples, at least not until I get an answer, but any thoughts? Is the package wrong or is the website wrong? Any opinions? OH well, my caramel apple craving will have to be ignored, at least for tonight. :( Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

starrytrekchic Apprentice

Ah, yes...I saw the caramel apples and nut-caramel apples out at walmart the other day. I got super excited because I love them...then I read the packages, and yep, they had wheat. So disappointing.

Don't know if it was the same brand, but some, at least, do have wheat. Not sure about others.

EDIT: You can probably make some at home easily enough. Check around online and I'm sure you'll find a gluten-free recipe for them.

psawyer Proficient

When there is a difference between the ingredients on the package, and those listed on a web site or in a gluten-free food list, always go with the package.

Formulas change all the time, but the ingredients list on the actual package must match the contents.

You might have an older package before they added wheat, or the web site may not yet have been updated to show that they removed wheat.

If still in doubt, call the company, and ask if there have been any recent changes to the product which would involve adding or removing wheat-derived ingredients.

Under federal law in the US, wheat must be disclosed if present. Since the package label does not disclose wheat, there is no wheat in the package you have.

kareng Grand Master

I haven't read the packages on any packaged carmel, but if it is gluten-free this is an easy way to make a carmel apple. Cut apple into bite sized pieces. Melt the carmel candies in the microwave and pour on the apple. Eat immediately.

MelindaLee Contributor

I haven't read the packages on any packaged carmel, but if it is gluten-free this is an easy way to make a carmel apple. Cut apple into bite sized pieces. Melt the carmel candies in the microwave and pour on the apple. Eat immediately.

LOVE the EAT IMMEDIATELY! :D

notme Experienced

LOVE the EAT IMMEDIATELY! :D

LOL! me too!

jerseyangel Proficient

I will have to get a bag of Kraft Caramels and try this--sounds perfect....since I had my teeth bonded I can't bite into an apple :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I will have to get a bag of Kraft Caramels and try this--sounds perfect....since I had my teeth bonded I can't bite into an apple :P

And it's warm, too! :)

Duh! Didn't think about Kraft! Hadn't looked.

• 2 weeks later...
Juliebove Rising Star

I once made caramel apples with Kraft caramels. Actually I remember making them as a child and don't recall any problems. But when I made them as an adult? Oh what a mess! The worst part is that the caramel hardened to the extremely hard stage. I had told all the neighborhood kids that I had them. They were very excited. I took them next door for the kids to eat them. My neighbor ran a day care. Her kids and all the other kids around went over there after school. My daughter was the only one who wasn't in her daycare. The poor kids couldn't get a bite out of them. They finally had to resort to using knives and forks and eventually were able to get at least one bite.

Now I feel bad when daughter sees caramel apples in the store. She always wants one. She has a peanut allergy in addition to the wheat. Those things always have a peanut warning on them. So she can't have them.

I buy her the Walden Farm's caramel dip. It is not only gluten-free but dairy free. Good to dip apple slices in.

scarlett77 Apprentice

Quite honestly I wouldn't trust any caramel apple company to not CC their products. I recently ran across a recipe for "apple nachos" (I believe it was either in Better Homes & Gardens or Taste of Home) and it was just taking apple slices and drizzling melted caramel on them and top with marshmallows, mini chocolate chips, nuts, and sprinkles. My boys are too young for caramel apples on a stick so this is the perfect resolution for us.

Oh and to the other poster...GENIUS about using a caramel dip or sauce instead of melting the caramel candies! Thanks for the tip!

kareng Grand Master

We did the Carmel apple chunks the other day. Messy but much easier to eat than a whole apple. Yum!

• 1 year later...
america Newbie

So, with Fall rapidly approaching I have been craving caramel apples. I was at Wegman's today and saw some, the company is Tastee. I looked at the package and was excited when there was no wheat flour, food starch, or natural flavor on the ingredient list. I also checked the allergen label which listed peanuts, milk, and soybean. I was excitedly optimistic but wanted to double check online to see if they had anything about gluten free on their website. They didn't mention it and when I clicked on the caramel apple ingredients they listed wheat flour as an ingredient AND listed wheat as an allergen. :angry: I emailed the company and obviously will not be eating the apples, at least not until I get an answer, but any thoughts? Is the package wrong or is the website wrong? Any opinions? OH well, my caramel apple craving will have to be ignored, at least for tonight. :( Thanks!

I purchased a package of Carmel nutty apples at Aldis.. They are 120 calories each an are made with gluten free rice flour as one of the ingredients. I have eaten one an have had no reactions. Their web site is www.affytapple.com. Please check out before eating them. I am new at this an have not been officially diagnosed by a doc. Have been gluten free, I think, for three weeks today. Have felt much better. Good luck.

Archived