This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

missamanda Newbie

I had white rice with sugar and butter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

alex11602 Collaborator

Tonight I'm trying another Mrs Leepers that my neighbor us, it's the chicken alfredo one. This is after I developed my own cookie recipe this morning and baked it up, I just keep finding stuff that I want to bake.

Also planning my Easter dessert menu since that gives me an excuse to bake more and so far I have carrot cake cookies, cranberry bread pudding and possibly some browned sugar candy.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Rustic style chicken thighs, a tomato based Spanish tapas sort of dish, with rice, courtesy of Mr Mindwarp. Very nice.

Mould operations on hold till the morning. How exciting is my life?

Adalaide Mentor

Tacos tonight. So my husband stops in the store on the way home to grab my taco seasoning. Reports they don't have it. I panic. We end up in two stores before I find a Simply Organic one and settle for it so we can just eat. Looks like I'll have to buy my taco seasoning on the internet now. There is literally only one store that sells only one kind of taco seasoning I can even eat in this entire city of 9 grocery stores (assuming I didn't miss counting one) and 3 health food stores and I'm not even counting the Mexican and Asian markets. I had a complete meltdown in my Jeep over that too. Is it really too much to ask to be able to buy taco seasoning like a human freaking being when I get in the mood for a taco?!

On the bright side, we made horchata to go with our tacos and it is fantabulous! And that taco seasoning I got was edible. I wouldn't recommend it but it isn't bad, just not good either.

love2travel Mentor

I poached brats in an apple cider et. al. poaching liquid then broiled

Warm German potato salad

Steamed broccoli

Fudge brownies

GottaSki Mentor

lol --- at mee-self..I was in a hurry and clicked on the first page of the thread -- saw Sylvia and was doing a happy dance -- doh -- was the first page...long time since I fooled myself with that maneuver.  Miss you S-Y-L-V-I-A!

Dinner tonight is PIZZA -- for my family and the band -- turns out half of them have been having tummy aches - except when they eat at our house --- hmmm - whatever could be the cause of their belly aches?  Anyway -- making two extra large quadruple meats and a couple medium vegies -- oh and a salad for me -- and them if I let them have some ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

hmm, SKI ...seems strange they feel better in gluten-free land, huh?? ...hmmm....1 + 1 =2

I gave SYLVIA a shout out. Maybe she will pop her head back in. She is still  on "here",  just not on "here". :D

I miss her sage words (and sharp humor)  too. 

SYLVIA--get yer butt back in the dinner crowd. 

YO ADDY!

You can make your own taco seasoning and store it in a jar for times when your fav one is unavailable. It's better, no additives, no worries. IMHO

I have  used this one with success:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/taco-seasoning-i/

Also, there is McCormick's Taco seasoning which comes in a giant container (but I think my friend gets that at BJs or Sam's or one of those clubs. She uses it in her gluten-free cafe)

Just a thought, sweets.

Last night, we had dinner on the beach with my friends while a band played. (loudly) So, it was a tri- tip steak salad while dancing. 

Dinner tonight:

Chicken thighs and something or other....can you tell I am being very lackadaisical? Tropical air makes you slow down and not give a flying fig, apparently..... It was 80 yesterday afternoon.

I LOVE IT HERE. IF it weren't for missing Bella the amazing kitty cat, I'd never go home. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

I used to eat a taco seasoning that has both soybeans and yeast something other in it. That is when I discovered Nueva Cocina. After trying it the first time I am so spoiled that I frankly have no interest in anything else. I never did like McCormick to be perfectly honest. http://www.nuevacocina.com/store/2375/Taco-Fresco.aspx That is what I use, or did until the only store that did carry it in this stupid city stopped. It is amazing how snobby I have gotten about my food and what I will and won't eat over the last year. I'm just going to have to order a bunch so I am better prepared in the future. I do appreciate the help! (I won't apologize for my food snobbiness though.)

Your weather sounds lovely. It snowed here Friday and yesterday, I was not thrilled. Mostly because I had to be out of the house both days, while it was snowing and I would have to clean off my Jeep of course. :lol: At least Utah weather means it all melts away quickly. We'll be back to spring allergies in no time.

IrishHeart Veteran

(I won't apologize for my food snobbiness though.)

You're preaching to the choir, kiddo. :lol:

One should never, ever apologize for food snobbiness. I "get it" and I bet LOVE2 is nodding her pretty head enthusiastically in total, unashamed and unapologetic agreement.

sa1937 Community Regular

lol --- at mee-self..I was in a hurry and clicked on the first page of the thread -- saw Sylvia and was doing a happy dance -- doh -- was the first page...long time since I fooled myself with that maneuver.  Miss you S-Y-L-V-I-A!

Dinner tonight is PIZZA -- four of them for my family and the band -- turns out half of them have been having tummy aches - except when they eat at our house --- hmmm - whatever could be the cause of their belly aches?  Anyway -- making two extra large quadruple meats and a couple medium vegies -- oh and a salad for me -- and them if I let them have some ;)

Aw, thanks, Ski!  I'm here...lurking.  Not in a springtime mood as they're predicting 4 to 8" of snow tonight/tomorrow.  Phil was wrong...winter will not end it seems.

I'm thinking of making pizza tonight, too.  Last time I had it was two weeks ago when my 14-year old granddaughter spent the weekend and she is becoming quite the pizza maker.  We also baked cupcakes and muffins.  I wish I had her metabolism!!!

I gave SYLVIA a shout out. Maybe she will pop her head back in. She is still  on "here",  just not on "here". :D

I miss her sage words (and sharp humor)  too. 

SYLVIA--get yer butt back in the dinner crowd. 

I LOVE IT HERE. IF it weren't for missing Bella the amazing kitty cat, I'd never go home. 

Dinners are not very exciting here although last night I had baked salmon, roasted asparagus and leftover mashed potatoes.

If I was in Florida, I don't think I'd ever come home.  

GottaSki Mentor

Yay...a happy dance first thing in the morning - Great to see you Sylvia! Sorry old Phil was wrong, wrong, wrong -- seems everyone is waiting for the snow to stop and the flowers to pop.

Celebratory dinner for Mom coming home...

Capon

Glazed Carrots

Curly Fries - potato for them, butternutsquash for me

Cranberry-Strawberry Charlotte Russe :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Hooray for Mom coming home, Ski. :) Have a wonderful celebration! You're being creative again, I see:

Cranberry-Strawberry Charlotte Rousse?

Hooray for Sylvia dropping back in for dinner! (and we look forward to dinner at your place on our way home to NY!!)

Sylvia has graciously invited us to stay--and has already planned what we are having for  dinner   wine and dessert. :lol: so, who needs dinner?

Some folks in Ohio are suing Punxsutawnie Phil for his bogus early Spring prediction. 

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2013/03/punxsutawney-phil-sued-by-ohio-county-over-wrong-early-spring-pr/

psawyer Proficient

Hey, Sylvia! Good to see you.  :)  :)

alex11602 Collaborator

Marinated steak (I just took a bunch of stuff out of my fridge and spice cabinet and threw it together), mashed potatoes, balsamic pan fried brussel sprouts and rosemary honey cornbread. I'm also making an egg free chocolate cinnamon cupcakes with a ganache topping. Fingers crossed they come out right, not using an established recipe, I'm just winging it.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

I can smell the roast chicken......

IrishHeart Veteran

Hey, Sylvia! Good to see you.  :)  :)

Holy smokes. Peter ducked in for dinner!  Hi P!! 

Marinated steak (I just took a bunch of stuff out of my fridge and spice cabinet and threw it together), mashed potatoes, balsamic pan fried brussel sprouts and rosemary honey cornbread. I'm also making an egg free chocolate cinnamon cupcakes with a ganache topping. Fingers crossed they come out right, not using an established recipe, I'm just winging it.

They'll be awesome, Alex! Fingers crossed, but for me, ganache makes everything taste like... MORE!!

I can smell the roast chicken......

I can smell it, too. Must be drifting over the ocean.......

Well, the gang that stays here in the complex has invited us out to join them for dinner. I checked and the place has a gluten-free menu (plain as can be, standard disclaimer statement about "allergens" yada yada yada) , but I am so delighted at being included in spontaneous plans, we're going. I trust it will not bite me on the butt. :D

mushroom Proficient

Yay, Sylvia (for my breakfast :P ~~ good to see you) and Peter here too!!!  I had also been asking myself, where is Sylvia????

Hubs has been getting a bit creative with food - with things like stuffed fillleted chicken thighs wrapped in prosciutto, cauliflower cheese bake,  German potato salad for him and my sis (not all at once).  What more could a gal ask??

Adalaide Mentor

All this creativity! Boring old boringness at my house tonight. Taco encores and banana dessert quesadillas. I have more bananas from this produces basket thing than I can shake a stick at and there is only so much banana bread a girl can eat.

GottaSki Mentor

Warning -- this recipe forgot the first most important step -- line up your sous chef(s) prior to starting this adventure -- we ended up with something very close - but my kids may have been ready to duck and cover when I discovered my wire mesh strainer missing at a crucial moment.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/30228-strawberry-cranberry-charlotte-russe

Will give it another shot someday - just not someday soon ;)

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Holy complicated dessert, Batman!!!!!

IrishHeart Veteran

I concur, Robin!

SKI, my friend,

Not in a gazillion years would I make that thing. I applaud you for your willingness to tackle anything. (in the kitchen or in the world)

I thought making Dacquoise was the mother of all baking projects requiring gymnastics and patience, (or maybe rolling out layers of phyllo for baklava--OHMYGAWWWD--- you need a massage and heat packs after that nightmare!)

but this.....is madness, sheer madness, woman! :lol:

God bless your patience and your dare-devilery. (dare-devildom? dare-devildogs? Addy, I think I am making up words again) 

GottaSki Mentor

Oh I like Daredevil -- he overcame being blind to become Superhero :)

Um ya...got sucked in by the pretty picture and Schar's lady fingers bought in bulk from amazon -- thinking we'll stick with simple old graveyard cake next time!  Was really thankful my boys were home -- had them both stirring at one point or another -- part of me knows I will make it again as our little snafu was the lady fingers in the bottom of the pan floated!  I think my exact words as one son standing right there holding the side fingers in place was -- "Oh f$#%, they float" -- he LHAO as it was after the longest dessert making session we'd had in quite awhile.  So the flavor was fantastic, but because the floor of my crust floated away the whole dealio was an inch to low in the pan -- up side -- when we sliced it - the fingers looked like bunny ears sticking up.

Down side - Mom fell yesterday afterooon -- meds stil making her dizzy and she doesn't want to use the walker -- being an avid walker -- up to four miles a day until last spring -- she isn't a fan of the little red "hot rod" walker I got her -- she promises to use it until she is steadier on her feet - we shall see.  Anyway I have packed up the capon, gravy, dressing (oh ya went with homemade stuffing instead of potatoes - and I tasted - was fantastic -- used heals from udi, canyon bakehouse and glutino genius breads -- I'm told this batch was better than Thanksgiving's because of the combo of breads. -- glazed carrots and the newly renamed "bunny russe" for them to have for lunch today.

I am in a fantastic mood this morning because my honey has set up his hybrid bicycle for me to ride (the twin of my stolen "black beauty" except the frame is a bit larger and silver in color) -- my shoulders still wont deal with racing type handle bars on my other road bike -- can't wait to ride this morning -- it is still dark -- hence the nice long post here -- come on sun -- I am ready to ride!

Have a great day everyone :)

IrishHeart Veteran

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  "oh f--k! they float!!!!" ...... AND a new bike...thanks for the 

great way to start my day.

So sorry about your Mom falling, though.

and, yes. the combo of various bread heels worked well for my stuffing, too last Thanksgiving. 

Happy cycling!!

GottaSki Mentor

Me thinks Hubby has lost a bicycle -- I like his better than the one I lost to the #@%ing thieves ;)

Adalaide Mentor

Oh you are a riot. You sound like me when something goes horribly wrong in the kitchen. Gratz on the new bike! My condolences to your hubby. And hopefully your mom will get over her stubborn pride before she hurts herself.

I am up way too early for me. But, the good news is I see my neuro today and will hopefully get a firm CRPS label and some actual help. We have 2 cans of Christmas George left and I'm really feeling like some tonight. Having an Easter Ham taking up more than half a shelf in my fridge for two weeks is killing me and I just want to eat it!