This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

GottaSki Mentor

Just received a reply to an email I sent to Love2Travel and she reports that on Wednesday, they will leave for their new home in Croatia!

Tonight: pasta puttanesca (got a gorgeous basil plant begging to be used) 

Monday: turkey meatloaf, sweet potatoes and asparagus

Tuesday: Tuscan white bean soup with spicy chicken sausage and escarole

Wednesday: Lemon chicken with tarragon, zucchini and summer squash with tomatoes.

Thursday: portuguese kale soup

Friday: white pizza with garlic and broccoli (hey, I'm not a saint)

Saturday: veal chop, sauteed chard and tossed salad with balsamic vinaigrette.

That's it .... Packing my bag, allergy meds, Ice packs, umbrella and running away from home to Irish's house!

And if Irish won't have me I'm winging it to Croatia and let L2T cook for me.

Will work for food ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

LauraTX Rising Star

I'm back after a couple day hiatus after my IVIG this month gave me the usual light sensitive headache.  It goes away faster if I stay off the computer.  I'm finally able to go off prednisone after a year of being on it... was at 5mg daily, now down to 4, after 4 weeks will go down to 2, then see the Rheumatologist again.  I can't lose weight while on it, and I am looking forward to maybe having a semi normal metabolism again, even though it will take months to get there. 

My husband got moved to the early day shift and has to get up at 4AM now, so we are going from being night owls to early birds.  I am fine with whatever as long as I keep a consistent schedule.  I like it better because now I will be up early enough to go to the senior water aerobics class at the recreation center I go to.  Hopefully I am not the only young person there, I have a feeling I may stick out like a sore thumb- but hey I will probably be the hottest lady in the class!  I'm sure I will be telling everyone about my lupus and such when I get funny looks when I show up, but one of the staff there highly recommended that class because it is really good for people who need to take it easier yet be active.  So, adventures await!  

Anyone know anything about gas BBQ grills?  My husband wants to go to gas from charcoal, and I want him to buy the cheap small more plain one, and he wants to buy the $250 infrared heat one.  I just don't know if I can let him do that, haha!

Oh lets see... this week for meals... I tried the new Udis Uncured Pepperoni Pizza, it is really good.  Not as fatty as most gluten-free crusts, and good taste.  Will probably buy those instead of Amys now.  Don't have to add stuff to it.

Nachos Friday night, Yesterday made honey garlic crock pot chicken while we were doing errands, Today was brunch with banana pancakes, fruit, and bacon, and tonight I'm making tacos with the leftover meat from Friday.  

I highly recommend the Bush's cocina latina beans, I have tried the black beans and pinto beans, and they are really really good.  Much better than slaving over the stove all day to make something not as good.

GottaSki Mentor

Okay....sap alert!

Most of you know this last year was yet another puzzling and frustrating one for me. I spent yet another six or seven months in flare from hell - human amoeba form.

Last Fall the histamine deal turned to possible mast cell dealio....have now been on common Mast Cell Activation protocol of meds for the past several months. I still have serious allergic type reactions - sometimes daily but the hubs and I are learning to calm them before they get to anaphylaxis so that is good.

Anywho....the point of this is to share with those of you I complained to on a regular basis and checked on me when the frogs were running the show --- and to say Thank You!!!! It isn't stretching it to say I couldn't have figured out this latest piece of my silly health puzzle without you guys and I am ever grateful.

This has been the very best birthdays I have had in many years....I have been out past 3pm for nearly a week straight...Friday we celebrated graduations with friends until 11pm and last night son's first play was read on stage as a finale to a writers workshop his drama prof recommended him for....watching his gifts displayed and appreciated by professional mentors and the audience at large was phenomenal -- that I was able to attend at 8pm was the best gift I have ever received. Um ya....I've missed several milestones if they happened late in the day for the last ten years.

Ok...done with the sob fest....today I attend a good family friend's daughter performance in the 'Wizard of Oz' at the Lyceum Theatre downtown --- most positive girl I've ever met ... That she happens to have Down syndrome never stops her --- she is one of my heros at only 17.... Can't wait to see what else she gets up to in the years to come.

Thank you, my friends....

Life is very good.

IrishHeart Veteran

That's it .... Packing my bag, allergy meds, Ice packs, umbrella and running away from home to Irish's house!

And if Irish won't have me I'm winging it to Croatia and let L2T cook for me.

Will work for food ;)

I'll have always you, you know that!

I have ice packs & umbrellas aright here :D and a bunch of boxes you can help unpack.

I'll keep you cool, ;)  I promise.

I am so glad you are walking amongst the living once more. You had me scared stiff last fall.

remember, I am the tortoise, coo coo cachoo! 

IrishHeart Veteran

I'm back after a couple day hiatus after my IVIG this month gave me the usual light sensitive headache.  It goes away faster if I stay off the computer.  I'm finally able to go off prednisone after a year of being on it... was at 5mg daily, now down to 4, after 4 weeks will go down to 2, then see the Rheumatologist again.  I can't lose weight while on it, and I am looking forward to maybe having a semi normal metabolism again, even though it will take months to get there. 

My husband got moved to the early day shift and has to get up at 4AM now, so we are going from being night owls to early birds.  I am fine with whatever as long as I keep a consistent schedule.  I like it better because now I will be up early enough to go to the senior water aerobics class at the recreation center I go to.  Hopefully I am not the only young person there, I have a feeling I may stick out like a sore thumb- but hey I will probably be the hottest lady in the class!  I'm sure I will be telling everyone about my lupus and such when I get funny looks when I show up, but one of the staff there highly recommended that class because it is really good for people who need to take it easier yet be active.  So, adventures await!  

It's great you can go off the prednisone!! 

Years ago, before DX, I was once  the youngest person in a senior water aerobics class, too and I enjoyed those people so much!!

I loved the class because in the water, I can move easily and with less pain.

There were some people there in my age group, too..

plus, there were people there who were  recovering from a stroke, one with MS, one with fibro, one after knee surgery, etc.

Everyone was using the water for therapy.

I was there because they simply did not know what to do with me as I was going downhill and I could barely walk.

Now, I go to the pool here in the community (there's never anyone there in the AM) and I walk backwards in the water.

PT recommended it. I do a few other things, too --float and kick my legs--sometimes I do a modified butterfly or side stroke...and someday, I hope to be able to swim like the fish I once was.

I think you'll love it.  ^_^

Adalaide Mentor

Maybe I should have said skinnier instead of skinny. But heck, I was a 12 between kids and imo at this point I consider that pretty darn skinny. :P Still, I'm happy just the way I am. :D

And gratz on the birthday and getting off the prednisone! It's always awesome when life is looking up.

I made an impromptu shopping trip today after getting an email that it was the last day of the Lane Bryant bogo bra sale. I didn't want to miss out on that! Now to find my floppy hat and head out to the garden since we didn't finish weeding the other day. A bunch of slackers in this house. :ph34r:

BeFree Contributor

Zucchini squash pasta made with my new Veggetti slicer!  (And a little red wine.....)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I'm having a big time craving for some tater tot taco bake. I think that I'll make this one later in the week. 

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/mexican/tater-tot-taco-bake.html

kareng Grand Master

I'm having a big time craving for some tater tot taco bake. I think that I'll make this one later in the week. 

OMG! Now, I will think of nothing else until I make this!

BlessedMommy Rising Star

It is really, really good! My kids love it. It's very easy to modify it for different dietary needs too. I'm vegetarian and dairy free, so I plan to make it with non-dairy cheese shreds and the new gluten free vegetarian "ground beef" crumbles that Gardein came out with recently.

Adalaide Mentor

Mmmmm!!!! That looks good! I think I need one now too. I'll have to see if it turns out as something my husband will eat if I leave out the onions.

GottaSki Mentor

OMG! Now, I will think of nothing else until I make this!

Just showed the picture to one of the men....I do believe we will be making this on Wednesday :)

Back log of defrosted meat in the frig right now.

Tonight is spaghetti with sausage

Tomorrow are my birthday ribs...was never home at dinner time this weekend and was too busy today to marinate, etc....so we will have tomorrow.

GottaSki Mentor

Never buy...so what's a good taco seasoning packet?

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Let me know how you guys like it!  :)

I'm totally making it again as soon as I rustle up the ingredients. Just wish that I could find some Cascadian Farms coupons, because I like their tater tots, but they are expensive.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I believe that Ortega brand is gluten free. I buy Meijer store brand which is clearly labeled gluten free. 

Some people like to make their own as well.

Adalaide Mentor

My husband seems to like Old El Paso. I used to... until I discovered Nueva Cocina which is so very sadly out of business. (still makes me want to cry) Fortunately I have a huge stash of packets I found on clearance that will probably last me through the summer. :D I did try La Frontera twice, they're pretty decent. Probably what I'll go to when I run out. Most things have MSG in them which is a huge no-no for me, and why I originally gave up the Old El Paso. Even though I can tolerate a little now, I have no intentions of going back to what I consider second rate at this point, no matter the price. (My husband can kiss my butt too if he thinks I'll settle for something just because it costs less. I'd rather starve.)

I'm indulging tonight after a long but rewarding day. I finished weeding today before it got hot out. Just as I was finishing I noticed a small (maybe 1/2 inch) garden slug on the top of my bare foot that I hadn't noticed right away because of how the weeds were brushing my feet. I screamed like a little girl. I calmed my nerves with some Glutino cookies. B) I've been sewing off and on as much as I can handle then had to run out for some lavender. The owner of the herb shop I go to was in and said she'd be willing to sell my heating pads. :D :D :D More work, but it feels good to be useful again. Anyway, the rewarding part. Going to try again to make "hamburger helper" and see how it turns out. I keep getting it a little better every time. I had a very unhealthy addiction to cheeseburger macaroni and keep trying to get something reasonably decent. I know it'll be more cheese than I should eat, but I accidentally opened my bookmark to the recipe I started from and that just set off the craving. I used up all my responsible adult for the day working, cheese called and I'm answering.

kareng Grand Master

Last night - cheese, crackers - one kind was Addie's favorite, fruit, garlic cream cheese melted on a Schar baguette, a little wine.

Tonight is pasta with some melted moz/ parm and a little wine.

I'm sensing a theme here......

kareng Grand Master

I believe that Ortega brand is gluten free. I buy Meijer store brand which is clearly labeled gluten free. 

Some people like to make their own as well.

Hub heard the ingredients - he's in! I think I might make it this week. Hub is very busy at work so it can be hard to plan for a specific dinner time.

GottaSki Mentor

This is for dinner tonight...for the men.  I'll have some of the stuff layered with sweet potato cubes with cilantro, etc.

We are trying to give the silly thread a jump start so if you have any "around the dinner table" type chit chat...head over there and join us!

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/98288-the-funny-pages-tickle-me-elbow-the-sequel/?p=917080

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I made the tater tot taco bake tonight, it was so good! Between 2 adults and 3 kids, we ate up the whole pan!

For Memorial Day picnic, I'm making a potato salad and having veggie burgers with Udi's buns. What's on the menu for everybody else?

GottaSki Mentor

The young men loved the Tot Casserole -- they ended up making it because I was pooped.  They doubled so there was a nice amount of left overs to freeze in foil packs -- to go off to work with them.  Thanks Ruth!

Tonight Dad is back at our Sunday Dinner Table - Yay?

Anyway...there is always dessert when my folks come to dinner...so I just started this:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/02/crockpot-crme-brulee-recipe.html

Irish sent it to me and it promises to be y.u.m.m.y.

Interesting...I saw a new casserole shaped crock pot the other day and thought it was a great idea -- this recipe Creme Brulee you need to find a dish that fits into your crock -- bippity boppity I now have a casserole crock -- a bit smaller than the 9x13 the new appliance uses, but think it might work for some nice pot-luck items -- easier than hauling the full crock to parties ;)

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I'm glad that they liked it Lisa! :)

IrishHeart Veteran

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/02/crockpot-crme-brulee-recipe.html

Irish sent it to me and it promises to be y.u.m.m.y.

Hope you all like it!!

Going to my friend's house for a BBQ today. She's got ribeyes, corn and prosecco.  I've got caprese salad, dessert and prosecco.

Another person is bringing prosecco. Looks like we've got enough prosecco. (maybe)  ^_^

This is dessert

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/04/pb2-flourless-chocolate-brownies.html

I lost 2 lbs.this week, so whoohoo! (hey,  I only have to do that 22 more times....) lmao

And I had pizza and everything (and by everything I mean, sandwiches some days and adult beverages ...as K calls them.... so whoohoo! )

This week's plan is 

S - Beef and caprese salad (and possibly one of those skinny brownies) and prosecco  :D

M  - Roast chicken, baked sweet potatoes and haricots verts (K!)  ;)

T - Tuscan white bean, spinach and chicken sausage stew

W-  Penne pasta and meatballs

TH - grilled salmon, grilled summer squashes & wild rice

F-  veggie pizza

Sa - Pork tenderloin with fig jam/mustard glaze, roasted baby potatoes and root veggies

kareng Grand Master

Last night we had jerk chicken, Addie's recipe for Brazilian cheese bread, lots of fruits with Piña Colada sauce.

Tonight, brats with cheesy corn bake & Snickers cookie bars. Going to a neighborhood cook- out. I will probably bring some fruit and Piña

Colada dip for me, too.

GottaSki Mentor

This week's plan is 

S - Beef and caprese salad (and possibly one of those skinny brownies) and prosecco  :D

M  - Roast chicken, baked sweet potatoes and haricots verts (K!)  ;)

T - Tuscan white bean, spinach and chicken sausage stew

W-  Penne pasta and meatballs

TH - grilled salmon, grilled summer squashes & wild rice

F-  veggie pizza

Sa - Pork tenderloin with fig jam/mustard glaze, roasted baby potatoes and root veggies

Am loving your weekly meal plan posts...Have fun at the Q today :)