This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sudden "d", Advice Needed

Free-CountryGirl

Free-CountryGirl Apprentice

Usually when i get glutened I have constipation, never the big "D". Well I have been learning to go gluten free, and while it hasn't been long, I have been feeling a bit better! I'm having BM every day now, buuut...they aren't quite...right. It's very almost like D (sorry for the TMI!) every afternoon I'll have a snack, and then after a bit a get sharp stomach pains and some bloating (none of the other gluten symptoms) and then the D-like BM about 5 min later. I'm sorry if it is TMI, but for anyone who finds it helpful to know....the BM's are definitely a lighter color than normal, and while they have shape it looks very...peicy? I don't quite know how to describe it, except for I think food isn't being digested properly because it looks as though there is some food partially digested in it....gross I know :/

Anyways, my question is, for anyone who has a soy allergy, did something like this happen to you? I ruled out fructose malabsorption because I eat an apple a day and haven't had this problem before, only just this past week, although I suppose it's still possible it could be FM. If it doesn't sound like a soy problem, could it be that my body isn't processing gluten-free products properly? I don't eat a lot of them right now because I know you arent suppose to in the begining, but I do eat Chex cereal (gluten free). I don't think it could be lactose intolerance because while I often have yogurt for a snack, I didn't today, and I still got the "D" like BM.

All personal experiences or opinions/advice is welcome! Thanks so so much for reading this icky personal post :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

As a side note, I'v been eating choclate quite a bit in the past week, which I usually don't have, and I'v heard chocolate contains soy? anyways just thought I would add that info.

My sysmptoms for whatever it is that I seem to be allergic to are heart palpitations(not nearly as bad as when i eat gluten though, thank god), stomach cramps, blotaing, malabsorption BM's, and overall weak, gross feeling.

Diane-in-FL Explorer

As a side note, I'v been eating choclate quite a bit in the past week, which I usually don't have, and I'v heard chocolate contains soy? anyways just thought I would add that info.

My sysmptoms for whatever it is that I seem to be allergic to are heart palpitations(not nearly as bad as when i eat gluten though, thank god), stomach cramps, blotaing, malabsorption BM's, and overall weak, gross feeling.

I was experiencing something very similar for a while and finally decided to stop eating a gluten free instant oatmeal that I had been eating nearly every day after I read on here that it wasn't a good idea to eat a lot of processed gluten-free stuff. It has soy flour in it. The weirdness has stopped. So maybe it is soy.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

What are you eating as a snack?

Soy is one of the top 8 allergens so if it is in something it will be listed in the ingredient list.

Well it depends, but for example today I had a protein bar (looots of soy) 2 squares of chocolate, and some gluten-free cereal that has soy. And i have been eating chocolate almost every day lately, not really sure why, terrible cravings. And when I had the cereal last night I also had a similar reaction that I had today. Normally i have yogurt and whatever else for a snack. Not sure if the yogurt has soy, but I don't think so.....

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Hi there Countrygirl, Gluten free chex gets me every time. From what you are describing is a reaction to soy. As for the chocolate craving I had that too about 2 months in and it lasted for about 6 weeks for me. It was like my body was needing something from the chocolate and then after 6 weeks it had enough. There are chocolate bars out there that are soy free but right now I can't remember what they are since I haven't needed a chocolate fix in a long time. Thank goodness. There for a while I got Hershey's cocoa and I ate a teaspoon every day, it got to the point it was irritating, but after a while the cravings stopped. It will for you too.

If you want a protien bar try the Larabars and/or the kind bars. They are dairy, soy, and gluten free. Only problem with them are, they are high in sugar. So a little will do ya.

Anyway, hang in there, it takes a while to figure things out.

FooGirlsMom Rookie

Hi,

My first thought is the Chex. I was having the exact same issues (warmning for the squeamish bc this is definitely TMI!) my bm's had a faint odor of petroleum! Say what??! Like if you stick your nose in a Vaseline jar! That is what happens when I eat Chex.

Just thought I'd try to give you a place to start...

Hope it clears up.

FooGirlsMom

PS You might want to stick to a whole foods diet for a while to get an idea what you are reacting to. It really helped me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Thank you guys! Esp. Txplowgirl, your post makes me feel a little less crazy :)

Yes i am going to do a kind of elimination diet, where basically I'm going to just eat fruits, veggies, and meat for about 3 weeks, allowing time for my body to get things cleared up at least a bit, then I'll slowly introduce dairy, starting at low amounts to higher dairy foods. I think if I don't have any symptoms/reactions to dairy, and my problems have cleared up on a whole foods diet, I won't test soy. It seems pretty clear to me that if my issues go away and dairy turns out to not be a problem, then it was soy causing my reactions. Those protein bars that i mentioned that have a lot of soy, well i havent eaten those in a good 2 or 3 weeks, and today was the first time iv had one in a while, and bam I feel awful. I think i'll permanently stay away from chex as well.

Thanks everyone!!

wheeleezdryver Community Regular

do you eat the Chex plain, or with some type of milk? (I myself do both.... eating it with some type of milk, or nibbling on it by itself throughout the day :)).

most chocolate has at least a small amount of milk in it.

i agree that it could be the soy, but for me, i get pretty much the same sypmtoms if I eat dairy... and sometimes it takes up to 12 hours, or until the next morning, before the 'D' hits. (normally i have 'C'). Over the holidays, pretty much all it took for me to have the 'd' was to eat a serving of hershey's kisses every day... went back to 'C' after the kisses were gone...

Don't know if that helps, but just thought i'd share my own experience.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I was experiencing something very similar for a while and finally decided to stop eating a gluten free instant oatmeal that I had been eating nearly every day after I read on here that it wasn't a good idea to eat a lot of processed gluten-free stuff. It has soy flour in it. The weirdness has stopped. So maybe it is soy.

It could also be the oats. Even gluten free oats can be a problem for some of us. If you eat other items with soy it is more likely to be that you react to oats.

Rachel W Apprentice

Thing that helped me was the "if ya cant kill it naked witha spear or pick it off a tree-DONT EAT IT" diet ! LOL..Nothing added, preservatives etc. Organic if u can..Def cut out soy(did the same thing to me), maybe dairy too.. I was a HUGE cereal lover before my dx, and got super excited about the gluten free cereals, but in my first few months had 2 cut them out, now i enjoy the Rice chex (choc kind kills me) and almond milk ! have to let those guts heal :)

Just pay extra extra close attention into what you eat and how you feel after :) Good luck, and your post was not TMI, if there was ever a site that you could speak free about your big "D" i believe this is it ;)

p.s. Nice Arab !

cassP Contributor

in agreement with one of the above posters: sometimes Dairy "D" doesnt hit me till the next day.

soy doesnt give me "D"... but bloating and gas

chocolate is fine usually, but SOMETIMES gives me acid reflux.

Corn gives me "gluten-like" symptoms.

also- regardless of whether u have FM or not-> a lot of those fake fats & fake sugars in different protein bars and chocolate can give you "D" like Malitol and Mannitol and Sorbitol, etc.

Thank you everyone. I'm going to make an appointment for the Dr.'s, even though my docotor is crap and never believed me when I thought I had celiacs. Maybe now she'll listen! LOL. Anyways I'm going to make an appt. to get tested for dairy and soy allergies, it's just easier this way since I tend to eat the 2 in conjunction.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thank you everyone. I'm going to make an appointment for the Dr.'s, even though my docotor is crap and never believed me when I thought I had celiacs. Maybe now she'll listen! LOL. Anyways I'm going to make an appt. to get tested for dairy and soy allergies, it's just easier this way since I tend to eat the 2 in conjunction.

Just keep in mind that like with gluten intolerance and celiac will not show up on an allergy panel intolerances to soy and dairy will not either. Intolerances and allergies are different types of reactions.

Archived