This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Feeling Discouraged

TooManyHats

TooManyHats Rookie

I've managed to gluten myself twice in one week. Once with Old El Paso enchilada sauce and the other time with La Choy soy sauce. Neither of these items had anything in the ingredients list that looked like gluten to me and neither listed an allergen other than soy. My stomach hurts and I have D back. I feel like planning a menu takes forever and I really am not fond of cooking. I'm having a pity party, would anyone like to come?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Sounds like soy should go to the top of the suspect list :o

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Soy does that to me too. When in doubt, kick it out! :D Hope you get to feeling better.

aedixon Newbie

Was there corn involved with either of those? I've been doing much better since getting rid of major corn-based items like corn tortillas even. I seem to do okay with a few gluten-free corn tortilla chips in a small quantity. I don't cook much either since it's usually just me around the house. I know how you feel. It will get easier.

domesticactivist Collaborator

:( that sux. And what they said. It'll get easier.

You say you're not into cooking... the prepackaged stuff has been problematic. Maybe once a month cooking or big annual canning projects could work for you? That way you could have safe foods stocked up. Or maybe you could make double or triple batches of dishes you like when you do cook and freeze them so you have things to eat ready to reheat.

TooManyHats Rookie

I ate Polenta for the first time today. I wonder if that's it for today? I'm sure it was the Old El Paso enchilada sauce on Wednesday, not on an approved list, I should have known better.

wahmmy Apprentice

I ate Polenta for the first time today. I wonder if that's it for today? I'm sure it was the Old El Paso enchilada sauce on Wednesday, not on an approved list, I should have known better.

Not sure about the Old El Paso brand of enchilada sauce, I make my own now and it's so much better than anything out of a can. Very easy, too. My recipe is below. Hope you feel better soon!

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

Safety Information According to the Manufacturer:

Contains wheat and soy ingredients. Refrigerate Any Unused Sauce.

Ingredients

Water, Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Modified Corn Starch, Dried Red Chiles, Soybean Oil, Sugar, Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Citric Acid, Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten, Soy Protein and Wheat Gluten, Onion Powder, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Garlic Powder, Spice, Red Pepper, Natural Flavor.

Not so good...

TooManyHats Rookie

Not sure about the Old El Paso brand of enchilada sauce, I make my own now and it's so much better than anything out of a can. Very easy, too. My recipe is below. Hope you feel better soon!

Open Original Shared Link

Thank you! This looks good. I figure the El Paso sauce wasn't my best choice to date. I've read on another board where someone said they had been glutened by La Choy soy sauce. I'll be picking up the tammari (SP?) sauce to try for next time.

Monklady123 Collaborator

Thank you! This looks good. I figure the El Paso sauce wasn't my best choice to date. I've read on another board where someone said they had been glutened by La Choy soy sauce. I'll be picking up the tammari (SP?) sauce to try for next time.

It sounds more like maybe it's the soy. I know La Choy is listed as gluten-free and that's the only kind I eat, with no problems at all. And I'm becoming increasingly sensitive to even small amounts of gluten which is why I'm sure about La Choy. Just ate a stir fry last night and woke up feeling fine this morning.

I hope you find the culprit. It is discouraging to have to pay such close attention to everything that goes in our mouths. :unsure:

wahmmy Apprentice

We use Bragg's Liquid Aminos in place of soy sauce. It's great! But, if you are sensitive to soy then that would also be a problem.

sa1937 Community Regular

Safety Information According to the Manufacturer:

Contains wheat and soy ingredients. Refrigerate Any Unused Sauce.

Ingredients

Water, Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Modified Corn Starch, Dried Red Chiles, Soybean Oil, Sugar, Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Citric Acid, Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten, Soy Protein and Wheat Gluten, Onion Powder, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Garlic Powder, Spice, Red Pepper, Natural Flavor.

Not so good...

I'm looking at a can of Old ElPaso Mild Enchilada Sauce I have in my pantry and it does not contain wheat. It does, however, say it contains soy ingredients. So does it depend on the type (mild vs. whatever other kinds they have)???

TooManyHats Rookie

That Old El Paso stuff is just way too questionable for me. I like the recipe for the home-made one and will try that.

I really don't want to hear that I'm sensitive to soy too. What will be left? I've never had a problem with soy before and have eaten soy icecream before. This has me very depressed. I'm going to buy that tamari stuff and try that on Friday to see how it goes. Why do these sensitivities crop up all of a sudden?

GFinDC Veteran

The tamari is kind of expensive from w2hat I recall. You could get some other soy containing food to try, like Chex Chocolate cereal ( pretty sure it has soy), or some soy nuts, or some frozen edamme.

I saw a study not long ago where they said infants who are casein intolerant and are switch to soy milk are then more likely to develop additional food intolerances/allergies. Soy, good for your body, not! Sorry, I don't remember where I saw that info.

cap6 Enthusiast

I cut out soy when I read about how we have genetically modified it to the point of where it is actually harmful for us. Ever feel like just planting your own food so that you know it's natural??

TooManyHats Rookie

The tamari is kind of expensive from w2hat I recall. You could get some other soy containing food to try, like Chex Chocolate cereal ( pretty sure it has soy), or some soy nuts, or some frozen edamme.

I saw a study not long ago where they said infants who are casein intolerant and are switch to soy milk are then more likely to develop additional food intolerances/allergies. Soy, good for your body, not! Sorry, I don't remember where I saw that info.

You've identified the source of today's problem, the chocolate rice chex. Dang, I really like that too! Plain rice chex for me from now on. I couldn't imagine what I had done wrong today and at least I know now. Thank you for pointing that out.

sa1937 Community Regular

That Old El Paso stuff is just way too questionable for me. I like the recipe for the home-made one and will try that.

I think homemade anything is always better than something out of a can. I also printed out some recipes for enchilada sauce...very easy to make.

Archived