MJ_S

I Am So Stupid

Rate this topic

So, since I went gluten free January 1, here are my KNOWN accidental glutenings:

Soy milk (Edensoy) fortified with BARLEY (realized about 1.5 months in, basically started over at that point)

French fries in a restaurant from fryer that had flour in it (I still had the *testing* mindset - the dangers of negative bloodwork)

gluten-free Bread in regular toaster (newbie mistake 101)

Crabstick in sushi restaurant (and I was so proud of myself for avoiding the soy sauce dry.gif)

Two bites of fish accidentally covered in bread crumbs at Not Your Average Joes (chain in Boston) which was ordered from the GLUTEN FREE menu. ARGGGHHHHHHH

And this weekend, I realized that I was still using the same tip on my Sonicare toothbrush from before going gluten free. OMG. After all the tossing of food and products, this just never occurred to me!

I'm still feeling brain foggy/sleepless/gassy/stomach pains/exhausted/white tongue at least once per week. I haven't been able to pin down any other intolerances (besides dairy, which I also can't and don't do) from my food diary.

I'm paranoid that I'm getting somehow hit at work (food haven around here) but I'm hoping the toothbrush will be a turning point (fingers crossed). Sigh...

Don't forget your vitamin pills, and any meds you might take need to be gluten-free also. Tea and any drinks for that matter need to be gluten-free as well.

And this weekend, I realized that I was still using the same tip on my Sonicare toothbrush from before going gluten free. OMG. After all the tossing of food and products, this just never occurred to me!

I'm paranoid that I'm getting somehow hit at work (food haven around here) but I'm hoping the toothbrush will be a turning point (fingers crossed). Sigh...

It's a steep learning curve and you've just started the climb. Be kind to yourself and celebrate your successes! Woo hoo, you changed your toothbrush! {{{Hugs}}}

You're not stupid. The sneaky stuff is hiding all over the place!

Here are a few more things you might have missed (I say so only because we missed them at first):

Wood utensils

Cutting boards

Serrated knives

Scratched plastic or teflon (we switched to all stainless, glass/pyrex and (reseasoned) cast iron)

Surfaces from the kitchen that you haven't cleaned since baking (we store our glass jars on top of the cabinets - had to wash all of those and wipe down the surface!)

Condiments you had before going gluten free

Spices you had before going gluten free

Personal care products

Also, it's a good idea to really soak/rinse naturally gluten free nuts, beans, grains, and grain-like things before cooking or eating them.

Good luck, and congrats on noticing the toothbrush :)

So, since I went gluten free January 1, here are my KNOWN accidental glutenings:

Soy milk (Edensoy) fortified with BARLEY (realized about 1.5 months in, basically started over at that point)

French fries in a restaurant from fryer that had flour in it (I still had the *testing* mindset - the dangers of negative bloodwork)

Crabstick in sushi restaurant (and I was so proud of myself for avoiding the soy sauce dry.gif)

Two bites of fish accidentally covered in bread crumbs at Not Your Average Joes (chain in Boston) which was ordered from the GLUTEN FREE menu. ARGGGHHHHHHH

I'm still feeling brain foggy/sleepless/gassy/stomach pains/exhausted/white tongue at least once per week. I haven't been able to pin down any other intolerances (besides dairy, which I also can't and don't do) from my food diary.

Awww you are not stupid, only learning! Almost everything you mentioned I have done too with the exception of the Average Joes, but I WAS glutened at Chili's a couple weeks ago and am still sick as the proverbial dog :(

Don't feel bad about the slip ups, we have so much to learn and it's so overwhelming! I was diagnosed Jan. 25 and am having a terrible time getting used to this too. Keep your chin up!

Dee

You're not stupid at all, it was and is a learning curve for all of us. Heck, back when I was diagnosed, they were still saying that Rice Krispie treats were gluten free before realizing that malt was on the list of no nos. I regularly ate those and Twizzlers, because honestly, who would've thought there'd be wheat in those!? It was one of those days at a baseball game that I just didn't feel good and I finally happened to look down at the package and saw WHEAT FLOUR. I was super happy about it.

Hang in there, it'll get easier!

You aren't stupid! I have done far stupid-er things than what you listed here, LOL.

You aren't stupid. Some of us are sensitive to lower levels of gluten than others. I am one of these super sensitive celiacs. It takes us longer to figure out the gluten free diet since there are more precautions which we have to take. Keeping a food diary will help. Also try not to change more than one thing per week because it can take a few days to notice a reaction. It took me a couple of years to figure out my diet, but in the meantime I did continue to improve. You will get there.

Thank you for all the support! It's a learning curve and I just need to be patient.

One of the dangers of negative blood work is that I've felt that I couldn't possibly be soo sensitive as to have to throw out my favorite wooden spoons which have been washed multiple times since the kitchen went gluten-free (or could I)?

So after not feeling great last week after I stirred gluten-free pasta with an old spoon, I bit the bullet and put aside all my wood utensils. Am now using only the one new spoon I just bought, and will replace the rest. I think I'm already following all your other suggestions. So far so good.

You are NOT stupid. We all are learning our way around this illness. I'm pasting below a link to a list of medications that are "supposed" to be gluten-free. Check the labels anyway. Also Triumph Dining has a whole series of grocery books, restaurant locators and dining cards that explain celiac in the language of the restaurant and the in english on the other side. Hope this helps!

Loey

http://dearpharmacis.../?p=755&print=1

http://www.triumphdi...et-survival-kit