Newtoitall

What Oil Do You Cook With?

Rate this topic

Topic Title/Description says it all.

We use canola oil for cooking, and have had no problems. Some people do report having issues with it.

I use light olive oil for everything. I think it's Bertolli brand. If you are super sensitive to cc stay away from Spectrum Organics oils. They process wheat germ oil on the same line as their other organic oils. Some people here have had issues wiht their other oils. Pretty much all other brand/types of oil should be gluten free however.

I use olive oil for most cooking, peanut oil for sweets (that I don't want an olive flavor with).

No oils have bothered me, thankfully. I make flavoured oils such as basil. We have about 12 kinds of oil for different things:

- for aiolis and such a neutral oil such as grapeseed

- vinaigrettes roasted walnut oil or hazelnut oil

- extra virgin olive oil for finishing/vinaigrettes; the good imported stuff for drizzling on good artisan cheeses, Caprese salad

- dark sesame and sesame for Asian

- canola and vegetable for searing and baking (except when I used to make olive oil cake)

- I infuse oil with chilis to add a bit of kick to dishes

I use olive oil or corn oil. Lately I started saving the fat from frying chicken in the refrig in a small container and have been using that for frying things. Works fine. I just pour it out of the frying pan after doing some chicken and save it in the frig. It is cheaper and might add some flavor, although I am not a real discerning person in the flavor department. Cheap isn't bad though. My cousin makes home made soap. I need to ask her if I can save some grease to make soap with it. She knows how to do that stuff.

Coconut oil or olive oil. In a few rare cases I'll use canola but I really don't like to use oil from something that is inedible by humans. My other preferred cooking oil are bacon grease (for frying/sauteing), or sometimes goose fat (if I can get it) or pork lard.

I use either canola oil or olive oil depending on the recipe.

If you are also talking about any fats I would add bacon and duck fat and butter to the list. NEVER margarine. Macular degeneration unfortunately runs in my family and margarine is notoriously bad for that. :angry:

Olive, grapeseed and coconut. I generally try to avoid canola, not because it bothers me physically though.

Sorry I'm late to the conversation...

I keep a variety of oils on hand for different cooking purposes because different oils can stand varying amounts of heat. I used to use olive for everything, then I found that it burnt at high temperature. Here's one website that has more info about oils in general (can't find the website that I usually refer to, maybe it's gone)...

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/guides/oils.php